Center and Rear Options to Mate with Jubilee Mains

J M O N

For 5.1 home theater setup using Jubilees as main front speakers, what would you recommend for a center channel and rear surrounds?  Here are the options I'm considering:

1. Belle for center and Klipschorns for rears

2. KPT-904 for center and rears

3. I'd also consider modifying the top end of the Belle and Klipschorns to better match the timbre of the Jubilees

For the center, this is the motivating reason why this configuration came about: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/161404-a-k-402-based-full-range-multiple-entry-horn/  --no kidding.

You'll need a good active digital crossover or a digital parametric EQ unit of some quality.

I've tried Reference, Heresy, Cornwall, Bi-amped Cornwall/JBL Bi-Radial horn, Belle, tri-amped Belle, tri-amped JuBelle and phantom center.  Nothing comes anywhere close to this one.

For the surrounds, I've found that Cornwalls work quite well (Heresies didn't work so well) if you're only talking about one or two rows of seating and an ITU 5.1 configuration.  Belles work okay too (as would La Scalas--their virtual twins) but they don't go very deep like the Cornwalls.  Khorns with enclosed backs might work if you can move them around to the right places, sacrificing some of their LF to do this--out of the corners.  They'd behave just like Cornwalls in that respect.  They're a little large in terms of footprint/stubbing your toes on the cabinets, however.  They'd sound wonderful, however.

You can also use bipoles from the Klipsch cinema professional line if you have lots of depth to your seating.  For greater than 5.1, more discussion is needed about your room and how you're going to lay it out.  I'd be careful going to the consumer version of Klipsch for surrounds - like Reference, etc.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

If you're intimidated by the multiple-entry K-402, then this will work - laying the bass bin on its side and the K-402 on top: http://www.klipsch.com/products/KPT-942-B

It will have more bass modulation distortion than the multiple entry K-402 that will be audible between your TAD-equipped Jubs.

Does that answer your questions?

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Chris certainly has some good answers.  If you already have the Belle, you could slap a 510 on top.  If you have the room, you could instead, set a 402 on top, later trying the re-entrant horn.

to Chris: Would your horn idea still need some kind of base under it to raise it?

That's really not difficult...most people use more than one subwoofer, and many are not using horn-loaded subs, so one of the best places to put a sub is on the room's acoustic anti-node at the center front of your room, under the center.  This raises the New Center (multiple-entry K-402) configuration up, usually by a pretty healthy amount since most people using direct radiating subs with Jubs are typically using large ones.

Chris

What about one of those Jubilee half bins with a 402 for a center channel?

That, or if you have the width, an MWM single or double with a 402.

I don't like the idea of mixing the 904's direct radiators with horn Bass across the front stage.

Klipschorns would be fine for surrounds.

JMO..... Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1

I don't like the idea of mixing the 904's direct radiators with horn Bass across the front stage.

JMO..... Roger

The idea of half jubilees is a good one and it is also near and dear to my heart. I believe I might be the only to have constructed these, but I am not sure.

With a K-510 on top the total height is about 30 inches (depends on how it is packaged). With a K-402, it would be about 47 inches tall.  Unfortunately the take up a good deal of real estate, so using them as a pair of rear speakers requires a dedicated enthusiast. 

Edited by PrestonTom

For the center, this is the motivating reason why this configuration came about: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/161404-a-k-402-based-full-range-multiple-entry-horn/  --no kidding.

You'll need a good active digital crossover or a digital parametric EQ unit of some quality.

I've tried Reference, Heresy, Cornwall, Bi-amped Cornwall/JBL Bi-Radial horn, Belle, tri-amped Belle, tri-amped JuBelle and phantom center.  Nothing comes anywhere close to this one.

For the surrounds, I've found that Cornwalls work quite well (Heresies didn't work so well) if you're only talking about one or two rows of seating and an ITU 5.1 configuration.  Belles work okay too (as would La Scalas--their virtual twins) but they don't go very deep like the Cornwalls.  Khorns with enclosed backs might work if you can move them around to the right places, sacrificing some of their LF to do this--out of the corners.  They'd behave just like Cornwalls in that respect.  They're a little large in terms of footprint/stubbing your toes on the cabinets, however.  They'd sound wonderful, however.

You can also use bipoles from the Klipsch cinema professional line if you have lots of depth to your seating.  For greater than 5.1, more discussion is needed about your room and how you're going to lay it out.  I'd be careful going to the consumer version of Klipsch for surrounds - like Reference, etc.

Chris

I saw your center channel solution and it is a very ingenious idea!  That may be a consideration at some future time but for the moment I'm going to look at one of these other options.

Interesting that the Cornwalls worked well for surrounds but not the Heresy.  I was even thinking about using a Heresy just for size and weight savings.  My intent had long been to go big with the surrounds, but the one time I had a full setup with Chorus IIs as surrounds, it didn't seem like they were used to their full extent -- just a few sound effects coming through the back.  That's when I wondered if a Heresy would work just as well.

If you're intimidated by the multiple-entry K-402, then this will work - laying the bass bin on its side and the K-402 on top: http://www.klipsch.com/products/KPT-942-B

It will have more bass modulation distortion than the multiple entry K-402 that will be audible between your TAD-equipped Jubs.

Chris

I only have about 36" of height avaialble so that is why the Belle or KPT-904 (bass bin positioned on its side) were on my mind.  The KPT-904 has the 510 horn, which I hear comes very close to the 402.

Chris certainly has some good answers.  If you already have the Belle, you could slap a 510 on top.  If you have the room, you could instead, set a 402 on top, later trying the re-entrant horn.

to Chris: Would your horn idea still need some kind of base under it to raise it?

I do have the Belle so I could try it with the 510, but would need to figure out the crossover part.  I think Chris has used a Belle with 510 horn.  A 402 just won't fit unless it is by itself.

JMO..... Roger

That would probably be the ideal situation and PrestonTom has one for sale (he is just a bit too far away).  Heck, I'd probably use both half-bins and just put the horn between them.

• Like 1

JMO..... Roger

The idea of half jubilees is a good one and it is also near and dear to my heart. I believe I might be the only to have constructed these, but I am not sure.

With a K-510 on top the total height is about 30 inches (depends on how it is packaged). With a K-402, it would be about 47 inches tall.  Unfortunately the take up a good deal of real estate, so using them as a pair of rear speakers requires a dedicated enthusiast. 

What you are selling is probably the best solution for my center channel situation.  I could probably even fit a 402 in there if I sat it on the floor but as I understand, the 510 is so good it may not be necessary.

• Like 1

Chris

I saw your center channel solution and it is a very ingenious idea!  That may be a consideration at some future time but for the moment I'm going to look at one of these other options.

Interesting that the Cornwalls worked well for surrounds but not the Heresy.  I was even thinking about using a Heresy just for size and weight savings.  My intent had long been to go big with the surrounds, but the one time I had a full setup with Chorus IIs as surrounds, it didn't seem like they were used to their full extent -- just a few sound effects coming through the back.  That's when I wondered if a Heresy would work just as well.

Personally, I like the surrounds to be just as sensitive as the mains, but that is just me.

the surrounds don't carry a lot of information, that is true, but why go tiny, just to boost the signal to be able to hear it?

same reason I have a TSCM center channel, and a converted / customized RF-7 for a center on my parents system :)

Chris

I only have about 36" of height avaialble so that is why the Belle or KPT-904 (bass bin positioned on its side) were on my mind.  The KPT-904 has the 510 horn, which I hear comes very close to the 402.

That is not a K-69 driver on the 904's horn .

As stated prior, what about MWM single or double with the 510/K-69

A double fits through my 34" front door, and a single would still be a good horn loaded choice with plenty of Bass.

Ask Eldon how a single MWM goes with a 402 / K-69 as soon as he is back from his cruise! :emotion-46:

An MWM would be a cheap solution as well.  :)

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Personally, I like the surrounds to be just as sensitive as the mains, but that is just me.

the surrounds don't carry a lot of information, that is true, but why go tiny, just to boost the signal to be able to hear it?

same reason I have a TSCM center channel, and a converted / customized RF-7 for a center on my parents system :)

Good point on the sensitivity part.  I understand the importance of the center channel, but rear surrounds appear to be (much) less critical so that is where I was thinking I could simplify and just use Heresy as rears.

• Like 1

A double fits through my 34" front door, and a single would still be a good horn loaded choice with plenty of Bass.

Ask Eldon how a single MWM goes with a 402 / K-69 as soon as he is back from his cruise! :emotion-46:

An MWM would be a cheap solution as well.  :)

Roger

The 402s don't have K-69 drivers so that's not a problem.  A MWM would probably be (relatively) inexpensive but is probably going to be too big.  I do have a problem of a small interior door opening leading to he room. A single MWM may fit but I'm pretty sure a double won't.

Edited by JMON

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

An MWM would be a cheap solution as well. :)

Roger

The 402s don't have K-69 drivers so that's not a problem. A MWM would probably be (relatively) inexpensive but is probably going to be too big. I do have a problem of a small interior door opening leading to he room. A single MWM may fit but I'm pretty sure a double won't.

JMON,

Did you end up deciding upon something for a center? Surrounds?