BMS 4592 vs Radian Beryllium

I am thinking of upgrading the mids on my 3-way horn system to a Volti FC260 tractrix, but am undecided on the driver.  Many phenomenal systems have been built using the BMS 4592ND-MID (around $650 each), so that is a top contender.  Much of what I read, and a little of what I have physically auditioned, however swears by Beryllium... which seem significantly absent from posts.  Admittedly that was with Classic Audio Systems that had not only Beryllium but also field coil drivers Beryllium plus field coil is out of my price range - and it's impossible to separate variables.  Looking at new Beryllium, Radian drivers look amazing... except for the prices: 760NEOBePB at $850 each, or the 950BePB at $1100.  True, that is a big increase, but in the long run... in for a penny in for a pound.  Three years from now I will have forgotten about the extra money. So... anyone out there have insights or experience on this?  I am probably willing to spend the dough, but would rather not unless truly a significant step up.  I tri-amp so efficiency is not an issue, and I am satisfied with all other specs.

Thanks.

Cannot shed any light on the Beryllium mid but am sitting here as I type listening to the BMS 4592 MID and can tell you first hand, they sound wonderful. Good luck on your search. Pretty sure you wont be disappointed in either one of these great products.

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 1

So... anyone out there have insights or experience on this?

I've had TAD 4002s for a number of years, and you're right, I've forgotten how much they cost because I've imprinted on their superior performance.

The BMS 4592NDs (dual ring diaphragms -polyester, 300 Hz -20 kHz) really need some sort of equalization on the HF diaphragm, and perhaps a little phase adjustment due to it's outboard passive crossover, but they can be very close to the TADs.  They're basically time aligned.

The BMS4592ND-MID is a midrange driver instead of a full-range driver like the two listed above, and started to roll off at 9 kHz.

If you're not planning to using a two-way system with a full-range compression driver, then you're basically throwing money away if you're thinking about using the Radian with Be diaphragm, since all the advantages of Be diaphragms is in the last octave and a half (~7-20 kHz).  If you're not going to use the driver to go into that region, then polyester might even work a little better, since it has a little more internal damping.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I am running TAD 4002 at one end of my room and the BMS 4592ND at the other end, both on K402 horns.  I have used them both full range 500-600 to 20K and also as just mid horns.  The TADs are a little sweeter in the midrange, but the BMS sound excellent as well.  With a little EQ I have them sounding very similar to one another.

• Like 1