Stink Bugs....

MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

A few years back the East Coat was invaded by the Brown Marmorated stink bug. These things are horrible!! They damage crops and really have no use. They are native to China, Japan, Taiwan and Korea.

Apparently introduced in Eastern Pennsylvania several years ago. They have been invading the East Coast for years. I've heard they are making there way West.

The 1st time we encounterd these horrible creatures was about 3 or 4 years ago. We heard reports that they were coming... Well that summer they were here in Northern Part of Maryland... Man they were everwhere. Now they don't sting or bite....but yea they stink....and the smell just gets to ya... Once the wether started to cool down that's when they really became a problem. They will find a way into your home..... and they gather all together to try to stay warm.

One day at the shop my wife was having a fit in the office...the stink bugs were coming in. They were on the walls on the ceiling. My wife hates bugs, she was telling me to do something.....like I have control over these bugs.... So I figured I'll just "suck em" with the shop-vac......oh that was the wrong thing to do. I started to suck them little f%&$er's up and the exhaust from the shop-vac was just pure Stink bug stench.....oh it was bad..... So I told the wife...we just have to deal with em in the office....

Then you have the "one" loan stink bug that get somewhere and you upset him...that's when the stink happens.

Laying in bed one night....just ready to fall asleep....the wife jumps up throwing the covers off her yelling "what the hell is on me?" The time it took me to turn the light on.....I could smell it.....yea a stink bug had crawled into her hair... she freeked out and up-set the little SOB.... The whole room stunk....she had to get back in the shower... I had to change the bedding. I found the little f$#%er..... it was dead, she had smashed it....

That was the 1st year....since then they are not as bad. If we find one on us I'll just gently get it on a piece of papper and pluck it outside. I can even get it them on my hand and just pluck them outside. You just can't up-set them...

Bug killer/fly spray....forget about it...doesn't work.... Sometimes at the shop I'll hit em with some brake cleaner or carb cleaner... I'll also make up some soapy spray that kills em..

So what about you guys....are the Stink bugs coming your way??

MKP :-)

post-58704-0-97460000-1457306349_thumb.j

• Like 1

In California, this is what we call stink bugs...

Beetle-Black3.jpg

I dont know why they were called stink bugs other than the fact they put their rearend up in the air when threatened. They didnt really smell, at least as far as I noticed.

• Like 2

We've had the stink bugs for a couple years.  Interestingly, I don't know that our Lady Bug problem has been as bad since the stink bugs arrival!

We used to get thousands and thousands and thousands of Lady bugs in the house (winter).  Now, I'm not sure if I've seen 3 of them.

We do get dozens of the stink bugs and you're right...  just remove them and lower the excitement level!

We also get carpenter bees in the spring.  So they are right around the corner.  Nothing like watching them eat your house and have little you can do about it.

We've tried spraying them midflight....  wife finally took to using a tennis racket and whacking them.  It's kind of fun if you don't mind what happens when you squash them with your shoe.

• Like 2

In California, this is what we call stink bugs...Beetle-Black3.jpg

I dont know why they were called stink bugs other than the fact they put their rearend up in the air when threatened. They didnt really smell, at least as far as I noticed.

Yea Schu...I rememer those when I lived in El Paso...your right they would put there butts in the air..

• Like 1

We had them HUGE in West Virginia two years ago, not as bad in 2015.

If you squish them they stink and if you use a paper towel while squishing them, your hands stink.  If they are in the house it may be best to capture them live and flush them.

• Like 3

A few years back the East Coat was invaded by the Brown Marmorated stink bug. These things are horrible!! They damage crops and really have no use. They are native to China, Japan, Taiwan and Korea.

Apparently introduced in Eastern Pennsylvania several years ago. They have been invading the East Coast for years. I've heard they are making there way West.

The 1st time we encounterd these horrible creatures was about 3 or 4 years ago. We heard reports that they were coming... Well that summer they were here in Northern Part of Maryland... Man they were everwhere. Now they don't sting or bite....but yea they stink....and the smell just gets to ya... Once the wether started to cool down that's when they really became a problem. They will find a way into your home..... and they gather all together to try to stay warm.

One day at the shop my wife was having a fit in the office...the stink bugs were coming in. They were on the walls on the ceiling. My wife hates bugs, she was telling me to do something.....like I have control over these bugs.... So I figured I'll just "suck em" with the shop-vac......oh that was the wrong thing to do. I started to suck them little f%&$er's up and the exhaust from the shop-vac was just pure Stink bug stench.....oh it was bad..... So I told the wife...we just have to deal with em in the office....

Then you have the "one" loan stink bug that get somewhere and you upset him...that's when the stink happens.

Laying in bed one night....just ready to fall asleep....the wife jumps up throwing the covers off her yelling "what the hell is on me?" The time it took me to turn the light on.....I could smell it.....yea a stink bug had crawled into her hair... she freeked out and up-set the little SOB.... The whole room stunk....she had to get back in the shower... I had to change the bedding. I found the little f$#%er..... it was dead, she had smashed it....

That was the 1st year....since then they are not as bad. If we find one on us I'll just gently get it on a piece of papper and pluck it outside. I can even get it them on my hand and just pluck them outside. You just can't up-set them...

Bug killer/fly spray....forget about it...doesn't work.... Sometimes at the shop I'll hit em with some brake cleaner or carb cleaner... I'll also make up some soapy spray that kills em..

So what about you guys....are the Stink bugs coming your way??

We have had them in Ohio for better than a decade.

you think you get a lot in your house, you should see how many are crawling around in a semi trailer full of corn :(

Roger

• Like 1

We've had the stink bugs for a couple years.  Interestingly, I don't know that our Lady Bug problem has been as bad since the stink bugs arrival!

We used to get thousands and thousands and thousands of Lady bugs in the house (winter).  Now, I'm not sure if I've seen 3 of them.

We do get dozens of the stink bugs and you're right...  just remove them and lower the excitement level!

We also get carpenter bees in the spring.  So they are right around the corner.  Nothing like watching them eat your house and have little you can do about it.

We've tried spraying them midflight....  wife finally took to using a tennis racket and whacking them.  It's kind of fun if you don't mind what happens when you squash them with your shoe.

Asian Lady Bugs are the WORST!!!

They bite you! then they stink like a potato bug when you swat them!

I can't hardly mow the yard without getting bit by one, and in the fall when it cools off, they cover the entire side of the house trying to get warm. They get in the walls under the shingles, and they get in the house! They congregate in bunches in the corners on the ceilings and get into the light fixtures!

The worst part of it all? I can remember donating money when I was a kid in church, because there was an kind of aphid that was attacking farmers crops and the Asian ladybugs were supposed to eat the aphids! You got a whole little white Chinese carryout box full of the damned things for a dollar, and I forked over money because it was for church!

Roger

• Like 2

We got the Ashbore beetle and I guess the stink bug is next.  Asia is attacking us without lifting a finger. 

Emerald Ashborer devastated the ash trees here about 6 or 7 years ago. My mom probably has 100 dead stags in her 15 acre woods :(

Roger

The wood peckers did a number on our cedar siding since they came into the area to feed off the beetles.

• Like 2

Now i'm getting hungry for corn roasted over an ash fire.

Not field corn I hope???

My best friend that farms 4,500 acres also raises sweet corn and sells it. He plows snow for over 100 lots and one is a mobile home park.

He tried to sell them some sweet corn and they said; "why should we pay you, when we can pick as much as we want for free"

They were stealing the field corn and were to stupid to know the difference!

Roger

• Like 1

We got the Ashbore beetle and I guess the stink bug is next.  Asia is attacking us without lifting a finger. 

Emerald Ashborer devastated the ash trees here about 6 or 7 years ago. My mom probably has 100 dead stags in her 15 acre woods :(

Roger

The wood peckers did a number on our cedar siding since they came into the area to feed off the beetles.

Mom has a 3,700 sq. ft. log home and if you don't stay after the carpenter bees the wood peckers will drill huge holes in your home to get the larve.

Richard, have you sprayed your place?? There is a spray that works and a powder you can put in the holes to kill carpenter bees!

Rog

• Like 1