Stink Bugs....

MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

A few years back the East Coat was invaded by the Brown Marmorated stink bug. These things are horrible!! They damage crops and really have no use. They are native to China, Japan, Taiwan and Korea.

Apparently introduced in Eastern Pennsylvania several years ago. They have been invading the East Coast for years. I've heard they are making there way West.

The 1st time we encounterd these horrible creatures was about 3 or 4 years ago. We heard reports that they were coming... Well that summer they were here in Northern Part of Maryland... Man they were everwhere. Now they don't sting or bite....but yea they stink....and the smell just gets to ya... Once the wether started to cool down that's when they really became a problem. They will find a way into your home..... and they gather all together to try to stay warm.

One day at the shop my wife was having a fit in the office...the stink bugs were coming in. They were on the walls on the ceiling. My wife hates bugs, she was telling me to do something.....like I have control over these bugs.... So I figured I'll just "suck em" with the shop-vac......oh that was the wrong thing to do. I started to suck them little f%&$er's up and the exhaust from the shop-vac was just pure Stink bug stench.....oh it was bad..... So I told the wife...we just have to deal with em in the office....

Then you have the "one" loan stink bug that get somewhere and you upset him...that's when the stink happens.

Laying in bed one night....just ready to fall asleep....the wife jumps up throwing the covers off her yelling "what the hell is on me?" The time it took me to turn the light on.....I could smell it.....yea a stink bug had crawled into her hair... she freeked out and up-set the little SOB.... The whole room stunk....she had to get back in the shower... I had to change the bedding. I found the little f$#%er..... it was dead, she had smashed it....

That was the 1st year....since then they are not as bad. If we find one on us I'll just gently get it on a piece of papper and pluck it outside. I can even get it them on my hand and just pluck them outside. You just can't up-set them...

Bug killer/fly spray....forget about it...doesn't work.... Sometimes at the shop I'll hit em with some brake cleaner or carb cleaner... I'll also make up some soapy spray that kills em..

So what about you guys....are the Stink bugs coming your way??

MKP :-)

They look almost completely alike to the stink bugs that have been locally around eastern Washington for 30 years or better. Do they have a type of acrid sweet smell when they stink?

You get into the central part of Washington where it is more like scabland/desert, and you will the black stink Beetles like Schu posted. They really stink...

Edited by mike stehr
  • Like 1

Richard, have you sprayed your place?? There is a spray that works and a powder you can put in the holes to kill carpenter bees! Rog

What?  Details, please!  I have been fighting carpenter bees for several years now, they have ruined my deck!  It looks like someone took a cordless drill and just made half-inch holes everywhere. 

My wife has some sort of home brew with water, honey and I think Dawn dish washing liquid, but the only thing that has really worked is for me to go out with my racquetball racquet and swat them out of the air.  After killing a few, I swear the surviving bees see me coming and either fly away, or stay just out of arm's reach.

• Like 2

A few years back the East Coat was invaded by the Brown Marmorated stink bug. These things are horrible!! They damage crops and really have no use. They are native to China, Japan, Taiwan and Korea.

Apparently introduced in Eastern Pennsylvania several years ago. They have been invading the East Coast for years. I've heard they are making there way West.

The 1st time we encounterd these horrible creatures was about 3 or 4 years ago. We heard reports that they were coming... Well that summer they were here in Northern Part of Maryland... Man they were everwhere. Now they don't sting or bite....but yea they stink....and the smell just gets to ya... Once the wether started to cool down that's when they really became a problem. They will find a way into your home..... and they gather all together to try to stay warm.

One day at the shop my wife was having a fit in the office...the stink bugs were coming in. They were on the walls on the ceiling. My wife hates bugs, she was telling me to do something.....like I have control over these bugs.... So I figured I'll just "suck em" with the shop-vac......oh that was the wrong thing to do. I started to suck them little f%&$er's up and the exhaust from the shop-vac was just pure Stink bug stench.....oh it was bad..... So I told the wife...we just have to deal with em in the office....

Then you have the "one" loan stink bug that get somewhere and you upset him...that's when the stink happens.

Laying in bed one night....just ready to fall asleep....the wife jumps up throwing the covers off her yelling "what the hell is on me?" The time it took me to turn the light on.....I could smell it.....yea a stink bug had crawled into her hair... she freeked out and up-set the little SOB.... The whole room stunk....she had to get back in the shower... I had to change the bedding. I found the little f$#%er..... it was dead, she had smashed it....

That was the 1st year....since then they are not as bad. If we find one on us I'll just gently get it on a piece of papper and pluck it outside. I can even get it them on my hand and just pluck them outside. You just can't up-set them...

Bug killer/fly spray....forget about it...doesn't work.... Sometimes at the shop I'll hit em with some brake cleaner or carb cleaner... I'll also make up some soapy spray that kills em..

So what about you guys....are the Stink bugs coming your way??

MKP :-)

They look almost completely alike to the stink bugs that have been locally around eastern Washington for 30 years or better. Do they have a type of acrid sweet smell when they stink?

You get into the central part of Washington where it is more like scabland/desert, and you will the black stink Beetles like Schu posted. They really stink...

Yeah, We have ones that are both green and brown, two separate stink bugs that have been around as long as I can remember, they look just like the brown one pictured in the first post, but are a little wider and are also known as "shield" bugs!

Roger

• Like 1

Richard, have you sprayed your place?? There is a spray that works and a powder you can put in the holes to kill carpenter bees! Rog

What?  Details, please!  I have been fighting carpenter bees for several years now, they have ruined my deck!  It looks like someone took a cordless drill and just made half-inch holes everywhere. 

My wife has some sort of home brew with water, honey and I think Dawn dish washing liquid, but the only thing that has really worked is for me to go out with my racquetball racquet and swat them out of the air.  After killing a few, I swear the surviving bees see me coming and either fly away, or stay just out of arm's reach.

I will call my parents tomorrow and see if I can post the name of the spray and the powder and where to purchase it.

We spray twice a year and if any do bore holes, you get a special dispenser to puff the powder into the holes!

Roger

• Like 2

Grand Pappy used to love to whittle sticks of wood. I would sit and watch him while we talked about the world around us. He would take a common limb from a hardwood tree and whittle it down to the neatest rod about the size of a preschool pencil. Patiently he would wait for a carpenter bee to make its way into one of those holes. Quickly grandpa would insert whittled end snugly into hole and break it off making the perfect tomb for the Carpenter Bee. One by one he took down an army this way.

• Like 4

We have scorpions here in vegas... thankfully they are not like cockroaches and live mainly in smaller colonies. I use my 2w blue laser to fry them and any other "critters" I find.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 3

I had one of my guys go to a customers home to change out a defective bathroom fan only to find out that the motor fried because it was loaded (hundreds) with stink bugs that had come in from the roof vent because the mesh wasn't small enough to stop them. 

• Like 2

I'm thinking the chemical is called borax?  We treated the logs with something...

Oh, it was called "Penatreat" as I recall.  Supposed to kill them dead.  Maybe it wears off, I don't know.

http://www.sashco.com/products/penetreat/

Boric Acid maybe? We use that for ants mixed with a little glucose.

Boric Acid can be used to preserve wood and kill ants. Including carpenter ants.

Borax and Borateen are primarily boric which is sourced in North America from the Death Valley area of CA.

• Like 2