Palladium Owners - Do you love them?

rgdawsonco

I posted recently about noticing the big discounts on Palladiums the other day. So I says to the wife, "Hey, Those speakers I have always wanted are on sale big time." She says, "You mean those nice ones we saw at Listen Up that I liked?" I say, "No, those were the B & Ws. Those are really, really expensive. I'm talking about the Klipsch Palladiums. The Palladiums are less." Then she says, "Well, do you love the them?" To which I say, "Which ones?" And she says, "You tell me. Just make sure to get what you love...because you're gonna croak with 'em." (That's our inside - meant to be humorous - way of identifying those once in a lifetime purchases of something you really love. Normal rules of prudence are relaxed in such rare cases, haha.)

The problem is I have never heard them so I can only guess. So those of you that bought them. Do you love them? Would you do it again? Any regrets? My Legend series KLF-20s, C7, systems is going on 20 years old and I'm considering the P-37Fs and P-27 center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i loved mine. i had the 37 towers 27 center and the 27 s surrounds. get the surrounds to match. those were the ones that always impressed guests the most when they came for demos. they really were nice. 

but yes the palladiums were great. i thought about buying another set since they are all on sale and probably are being discontinued. but i just cannot justify their price for a secondary setup, cause as much as i loved them they are not better than my cinema speakers. 

I posted recently about noticing the big discounts on Palladiums the other day. So I says to the wife, "Hey, Those speakers I have always wanted are on sale big time." She says, "You mean those nice ones we saw at Listen Up that I liked?" I say, "No, those were the B & Ws. Those are really, really expensive. I'm talking about the Klipsch Palladiums. The Palladiums are less." Then she says, "Well, do you love the them?" To which I say, "Which ones?" And she says, "You tell me. Just make sure to get what you love...because you're gonna croak with 'em." (That's our inside - meant to be humorous - way of identifying those once in a lifetime purchases of something you really love. Normal rules of prudence are relaxed in such rare cases, haha.)

The problem is I have never heard them so I can only guess. So those of you that bought them. Do you love them? Would you do it again? Any regrets? My Legend series KLF-20s, C7, systems is going on 20 years old and I'm considering the P-37Fs and P-27 center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ever see Charlie Brown relying on Lucy to hold the football? If you're going to buy them move quickly. She may yet change her mind.  :)

Napoleon said: 'When you set out to take Vienna, you TAKE Vienna!'. 

I love mine. I am thinking about grabbing a set of 39's and moving my 37's to the surrounds...moving my 17's to the rears. I picked mine up for close to the same prices listed a while back. They are being discontinued, and these are apparently the last ones made. Once they're gone, they're gone.

You definitely should hear them for yourself. When it comes to speakers, relying on someone else's preference could spell disaster. I doubt the current "sale" is a once in a lifetime deal. 

BTW, have you ever heard Klipschorns (corner horns) before?

Good luck,

-Tom

The thread title is "Palladium Owners - Do you love them?" My answer is "no."

I mean yeah, I like some of the guys who own Palladiums, but love them? I think not.

thought we were closer than that?

This made me laugh :-)

Thanks for the replies.  This is my home theater room.  As you can see, I am a little space challenged.  The size of even the P-37's is pushing it as the space in front of the speakers is a walkway and I don't have room to bring the speakers very much out from the wall.  I am even considering the RF-7/RC-64 as they are not as deep and the RC-64 is sealed allowing me to put it as close to the wall as I want.  In either case, I will be using a sub and crossing over to the mains at 40-60Hz as recommended in the Palladium brochure, so maybe that would mitigate not being able to get them away from the back wall.  I also will utilize Audessey Room Correction, which may also help mitigate this arrangement.  It all works well with my KLF's.  (No way to fit Heritage models.)  I also lack side walls for surrounds, so I have compromised with KSP-S6's on the back wall as wide as I dare and taking advantage of their side firing design.

FloorPlan201512.png

This arrangement is mostly Home Theater.  When I listen to music, it is mostly acoustic (e.g. Lumineers, Munford & Sons, Yarn, etc) and I my ears are sensitive to shortcomings in accuracy there.  The other shortcoming of the KLF system is the C7 center, which in my opinion, does not mate perfectly with the KLF-20's and I would expect the Palladiums to be much better.  The P-17B's might be an option, but I have never been a big fan of bookshelves.  I like big sound.

Ideas, comments welcome.

I've had Palladiums (P39's), every Legend speaker, every Heritage speaker except KHorns, and quite a few from the Reference Series and others and my opinion is to save your money unless you just want to have them. They are nice but your set-up is also very very good. Buy a better sub and an outboard amp and bank the rest.

• Like 1

If you can afford them and you want them. Get them. There is no right or wrong decision, it's just your decision. If you like the Klipsch sound, you'll like the Palladiums - they just have a smoother mid and treble horn than you would find in their other lines.

Especially if you can calibrate them using software, they will work for your space.

I will say this though, with your preference for music, I can't think of a better Klipsch model than the Palladiums for reproducing it.

I've had Palladiums (P39's), every Legend speaker, every Heritage speaker except KHorns, and quite a few from the Reference Series and others and my opinion is to save your money unless you just want to have them. They are nice but your set-up is also very very good. Buy a better sub and an outboard amp and bank the rest.

Wow.  OK then, you are the type I had hoped to hear from.  You have owned them all (that could not have been inexpensive, haha).  And after all that, I see from your signature that you currently use the RF-7's for Home Theater and the Cornwalls for 2-Channel.  This speaks volumes to me.  Please tell me what you like about the RF-7s and more on your opinions on the Palladiums.  There must be some reason you didn't keep them.

If you can afford them and you want them. Get them. There is no right or wrong decision, it's just your decision. If you like the Klipsch sound, you'll like the Palladiums - they just have a smoother mid and treble horn than you would find in their other lines.

Especially if you can calibrate them using software, they will work for your space.

I will say this though, with your preference for music, I can't think of a better Klipsch model than the Palladiums for reproducing it.

Last sentence - This is good to hear and what I would hope for.  We all know the KLF-20 cabinets are notoriously awful and resonant.  The KLF-20's are usually great, but sometimes inconsistent.  Imaging is usually good, but acoustic instruments sometimes wander, changing location and "size" depending on the notes.  My expectation would be that the Palladiums could perform better here.  But Home Theater is important, too.  I'm looking for realism.  I want everyday sounds (e.g. a car door shutting, dialog, gunfire, a phone ringing) to sound real.  Traditional Klipsch has consistently done this very well for me.

Edited by rgdawsonco

For what I understand the Palladiums to cost, you should give the Jubilee a listen and consideration.

(likely to cost less, bigger sound, less distortion)

If  your budget is still there, then upgrade the HF driver to the TAD 4002. 

I owned the palladiums. And I sold them. I had them as a second setup. I sold them cause I don't make a ton of money and having all the money tied up in a secondary setup was stupid. My cinema speakers are better. But they are huge and ugly. The palladiums are the second best I've owned from Klipsch. To me at the sale price and if your gonna keep them for a long time they are worth it. I payed a little less for mine new than what they are on sale for but still I feel they are worth the sale price. Not only do they sound silky smooth, and detailed all at the same time they are freakin works of art. You know what? Buy them and try them out. Find out return policy. Even if it cost you 3-400 in shipping wouldn't that be worth it to know of klipschs highest speakers sounded great or awful in your own house? That's why I did it.

• Like 1