Is Fry's a scam company?

RoboKlipsch

Serious question.  I signed up for the daily deals after seeing someone mention them.  I tried to get a sub deal on 2 different occasions, both times it didn't process through their website.

I sent an email to customer service...no response.

Anybody deal with Frys and have any comments/thoughts?  

Final answer:  I tried one last time this afternoon to see what would happen.  Now it says out of stock.  

They are a scam company, plain and simple.  Perhaps they do sell you exactly what they say they will, but their game obviously is to make you come into the store to get what you want.  I could...it's an hour away, but honestly a company that plays that game can GFT.

Frys is bull****

Edited by RoboKlipsch

They are a scam company, plain and simple. Perhaps they do sell you exactly what they say they will, but their game obviously is to make you come into the store to get what you want. I could...it's an hour away, but honestly a company that plays that game can GFT.

They do let you check stock for their stores, I would see if they have it in stock and reserve it, they will hold the item for you at the front of the store (often better than searching the aisle for it).

I have bought quite a few things from Fry's. One issue I have with the daily deals is that on the link it states "Ships Free". However when you try to check out it tells you for "local pick up only". I have tried to purchase the Klipsch subs on a few occasions and it won't let you purchase for shipping. In store only, which sucks because we don't have any stores in MI...

If Fry's is doing any volume business online, then just like Walmart and Home Depot, they're only shooting themselves in the foot.  :blink: 

On the brighter side, it's the only place I know of where a person can still walk through the door with a wad of cash and walk out the door with enough parts in-hand to build a completely custom PC.

BTY - Demo'd some RP-260/280's while I was there last. I liked what I heard. :emotion-21:

Almost never ordered from them, but when I was in Seabrook the nearby one was my "goto" for "need it now."  Loved the store, selection, and prices.  Online, I am mostly Amazon and Newegg these days.  Amazon's one click ordering is WAY too easy!

Dave

There are two Fry's in the metro Atlanta area and they are most definitely not a "scam store" whatever that is.  Prices are decent although you should watch for the sales.  Like many other retailers some things are available online, some in the store.  I've been shopping there for the last ten years and their customer service is very good. 

I'll summarize my experience:

1) Signed up for daily deals.

2) Went online and entered the promo code for a Klipsch sub and there was a glitch, it wasn't working.

3) Called customer service, after a wait, she said that the system was having problems and so they were only taking orders at the moment for in-store pickup.  (!)(a)  She told me I could wait maybe an hour and place an order online that would ship.

4) Tried about an hour later, no luck.

5) Tried again later that evening.  It allowed orders for in-store pickup, but not for shipping.

6) A few days later, the same offer was posted, again with free shipping, different promo code but same deal.

7) Went online, tried to place an order to ship to me.  Wouldn't allow it -- but would allow in-store pickup.

8) E-mailed customer service with my concerns that I had tried this no two different occasions, could I get the deal shipped to me?

9)  No response (!)(B), now a few days later. 

So listen, I never have bought anything at Frys before and don't have any experience with them except this one.  It's deceptive practices on their part, plain and simple.  It COULD have been an advertising error, if she simply would have said so.  It could have been a systems problem, except they made no effort to honor the deal.  And the "proof" to me that it's intentional is the fact that customer service didn't respond -- at all -- to a simple inquiry asking about the offer.  

None of this means you shouldn't go there.  I'm just saying wow what a lame experience it was trying to purchase something from them.  If they don't want to ship cool no problem.  But the sleazy old-school sales of making you go in the store just tells me don't bother.  

I'll summarize my experience:

1) Signed up for daily deals.

2) Went online and entered the promo code for a Klipsch sub and there was a glitch, it wasn't working.

3) Called customer service, after a wait, she said that the system was having problems and so they were only taking orders at the moment for in-store pickup.  (!)(a)  She told me I could wait maybe an hour and place an order online that would ship.

4) Tried about an hour later, no luck.

5) Tried again later that evening.  It allowed orders for in-store pickup, but not for shipping.

6) A few days later, the same offer was posted, again with free shipping, different promo code but same deal.

7) Went online, tried to place an order to ship to me.  Wouldn't allow it -- but would allow in-store pickup.

8) E-mailed customer service with my concerns that I had tried this no two different occasions, could I get the deal shipped to me?

9)  No response (!)(B), now a few days later. 

So listen, I never have bought anything at Frys before and don't have any experience with them except this one.  It's deceptive practices on their part, plain and simple.  It COULD have been an advertising error, if she simply would have said so.  It could have been a systems problem, except they made no effort to honor the deal.  And the "proof" to me that it's intentional is the fact that customer service didn't respond -- at all -- to a simple inquiry asking about the offer.  

None of this means you shouldn't go there.  I'm just saying wow what a lame experience it was trying to purchase something from them.  If they don't want to ship cool no problem.  But the sleazy old-school sales of making you go in the store just tells me don't bother.

Yeah that's a tough experience. I have had a few issues regarding my promo codes not working. The big thing I don't care for is that frys stores and frys.com are like two separate operations. I've bought from frys.com before and needed to make a return, but They wanted me to ship it back because I couldn't return it it in store which makes no sense. At least that's how it is here in so cal. But ordering with frys is typically smooth

I have a couple of Fry's nearby only been to one, they are a pretty good store especially for computer parts for building or repairing computers. They are a very busy, very large store with a large inventory, sort of a large open floor warehouse. I don't see them as a very good place for online shopping but they can be a good place to shop for bargain stuff.

Edited by Rich_Guy