Painting Vinyl speakers

Would it be advisable to paint a pair of RF35's black if they were in the original cherry finish? These are the embossed vinyl covered Klipsch. Selling pair to a friend and he needs them to be black. Any advice on surface prep? Cabinets in very good condition and vinyl completely adhered. Thanks! 

• Like 1

I mean it may not be as beautiful as a pro refinish, but with adhesion and other risks with going over the current finish, and depending how critical the final look is, may be a good option. 

Pretty low $ also.

First wash speaker with like dilute Windex, then ALSO somekinda solvent (test solvent on bottom first, make sure its not making surface gummy)

Important to use both, cause windex will take off water soluble dirt, solvent wont, and solvent will take off stuff windex will not.

I would run the roll up one side, across top, and down the other in a continuous piece. Single seam on underside, "doublecut" like wallpaper installing.

When you apply that, have some overhanging the front., then carefully razor cut the corners, and fold material in covering front edge, and ending up under front grill, or whatever.

May take two people, NO adult beverages, and a nice wide semi soft straightedge to attach to speaker, reducing air bubbles.

Any remaining bubbles, poke with pin or sharp razor tip, and credit card squeegee out.

Bobs yer Uncle.

• Like 1

Without knowing, I'd try Krylon lacquer

http://www.krylon.com/products/lacquer-spray/

on the thought that the solvent will take a bite to the vinyl.

WMcD

Ya, BUT, I'v'e had alot of experience with refinishing many different things with many different ginishes, including 4 part Polyeater, and KNOW that adhesion can be a TOTAL game changer.  

Be very cautious, and TEST like on the underside like some previous post suggested.

Sorry, WMcD, disagree strongly.

Totally a shot in the dark. 

We have NO idea what will sufficiently bond/ adhere.

At least not without testing on a non important side.

I once had a pair of raw birch LaScalas "Pro" haha refinished , supposedly to be high gloss "piano" like finish black.

Paid $400.

After a few "edges" peeled up, I ended up EASILY peeling off totally both of them in a few hours with a hair dryer and putty knife in like TWO HOURS due to shit adhesion.

AND other experiences, including problems with the 4 part Poly above on a 2K$ Feinwerkbau target rifle stock.

Even after VERY diligent research and surface prep.

Do the sheet sticker stuff, after making sure no boogers on substrate, surface smooth., so as not to have bumps under the sheet,and the windex and solvent washing.

I'm done.  Lars 

Without knowing, I'd try Krylon lacquer

http://www.krylon.com/products/lacquer-spray/

on the thought that the solvent will take a bite to the vinyl.

WMcD

Ya, BUT, I'v'e had alot of experience with refinishing many different things with many different ginishes, including 4 part Polyeater, and KNOW that adhesion can be a TOTAL game changer.  

Be very cautious, and TEST like on the underside like some previous post suggested.

Sorry, WMcD, disagree strongly.

Totally a shot in the dark. 

We have NO idea what will sufficiently bond/ adhere.

At least not without testing on a non important side.

I once had a pair of raw birch LaScalas "Pro" haha refinished , supposedly to be high gloss "piano" like finish black.

Paid $400.

After a few "edges" peeled up, I ended up EASILY peeling off totally both of them in a few hours with a hair dryer and putty knife in like TWO HOURS due to shit adhesion.

AND other experiences, including problems with the 4 part Poly above on a 2K$ Feinwerkbau target rifle stock.

Even after VERY diligent research and surface prep.

Do the sheet sticker stuff, after making sure no boogers on substrate, surface smooth., so as not to have bumps under the sheet,and the windex and solvent washing.

I'm done.  Lars 

Micheal,

I peeled the plastic off a pair of RS-3s and left them as they were. The cab underneath looked cool to me with the copper cones and the black grill. It would be an easy spray job at the point. Then I sold them for almost what I paid for the whole surround system. Of course those are the ones where the cones of the RF 3s and RC3 had been beat with a hammer

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996

INSL-X  Stix bonding primer.

If you don't want to get the vinyl finish off first then this product is amazing.  I've used gallons over the years and it does exactly what it says "bonds" to just about anything.  Not cheap but great products rarely are.  With regards to paint for the finish coat, Muralo is about as good as you can get.  JMHO