Possible to mount Surround Speakers(RS62) to the backwall in this room?

Nitemare

Hey Guys,

hope someone can help me with the issue. I am moving to a new apartment and i am thinking to expand my current speaker system(currently 2.1) with 2 Surround Speakers (RS 62 preferred).
Normally it is recommended to mount the surround speakers to the sidewall. But due to the room layout this is not possible because on one side there is a window and the room is not a square shape.

The Room layout with the speakers drawn in (RS 1 and 2 in Position behind the listening position)

Hörposition is "listening position" on the picture. And 4.57m is 14.99 feet and 6.01m is 19.7 feet. I am german, sorry ;)

The blue things are windows, by the way.

My questions:

Is it a big problem to mount the Speakers behind the listener directly to the wall?

Is there a problem when mounting them behind the listener if one speaker on the wall is not directly next to a wall like the Speaker(RS1) on the picture? As you can see the RS2 would be directly "in the room" with no sidewall next to it.

Do you have different suggestions maybe?

Edited by Nitemare
  • Like 1

• Moderators

They should work just fine back there and provide a wide dispersion sound behind your LP. 

I am german, sorry ;)

You speak very good English.  :emotion-21:   We are glad to have such diversity in the forums.

Your room looks pretty wide to be able to mount side surrounds in. 

• Moderators

When adding surrounds, both Dolby and THX recommend adding Side Surrounds.  Then if you want to add more surrounds, you can add Surround Back.

Take a look at this diagram from THX.  SL and SR would be the Side Surround Left and Right speakers and SBL and SBR would be Surround Back Left and Right.

dolby-truehd-dts-hd-speaker-setup-400x30

Ich stimme in allen Punkten mit Youthman.  Zunächst einmal ist Ihr Englisch sehr gut.  Ich stimme mit Youthman bei Platzierung von der Seite-Surround-Lautsprecher, wenn möglich besser an den Seiten.  Sie sollten etwas über Kopfhöhe und etwas hinter der Hörposition für die beste Wirkung montiert werden.

Es gleicht, das würde Ihnen eine Layout 4.0 Lautsprecher.  Ich glaube wirklich, dass Sie einen Center-Lautsprecher genießen würde.  Es ist der wichtigste Lautsprecher in jedem Setup.  Es spielt 90 % im Dialog und Dialog ist 90 % der TV und Filme.

Das Ergebnis wäre, dass Ihr System könnte spielen weniger laut weil es klarer ist, etwas die Nachbarn in Ihrer Wohnung schätzen.

(Microsoft Translate English - German)

I agree with Youthman on all points.  First of all, your English is very good.  :emotion-21:

I agree with Youthman on placement of the side surround speakers being better on the sides if possible.  They should be mounted slightly above ear level and slightly behind the Hörposition for best effect.

It looks like that would give you a 4.0 speaker layout.  I really think you would enjoy a centre speaker.  It is the most important speaker in any setup.  It plays 90% of the dialog, and dialog is 90% of both TV and movies.

The result would be that your system could play less loud because it is more clear, something the neighbors in your apartment will appreciate.

In a 5.1 setup, here is what they recommend

Yeah, but as you can see in the picture which i provided i cannot mount surround speakers to the side.

Thats why i want to add the RS-62 to the back. And i am a bit unsure if it is not wasted money.

I agree with Youthman on all points. First of all, your English is very good

I agree with Youthman on placement of the side surround speakers being better on the sides if possible. They should be mounted slightly above ear level and slightly behind the Hörposition for best effect

Yeah, i know this would be the best setup, but due to the layout of the room it is not possible. On one side there is a big window. Also the room is not square.

That is why i am so unsure that adding the RS-62 to the back wall would work.

It looks like that would give you a 4.0 speaker layout. I really think you would enjoy a centre speaker. It is the most important speaker in any setup. It plays 90% of the dialog, and dialog is 90% of both TV and movies

Yes i want to add a center, too. I was too lazy adding the center to the picture.

Edited by Nitemare
  • Like 1

• Moderators

We all have limitations and constraints, I myself included and I have a dedicated home theater. 

I have a double sliding glass door that prevented me from mounting a side speaker where it needed to be placed so I had a friend fabricate a custom bracket that attached above the double door and extended down a pole that I could mount the RS-62ii to.

You can see photos of the mounts he made here (this was back when I had RS-35's)

Here is a photo of them mounted.

Home-Theater-Rear-Wall.jpg

If you are unable to mount them on your sides, they will work fine mounted behind you.   Back in the 90's, when "Surround Sound" was becoming more popular, surrounds were typically placed behind the listening position.

What are your concerns with mounting surrounds behind you?

What are your concerns with mounting surrounds behind you

My concerns are that the sound gets all mushy. I am not a sound engineer to know how this all works and i am pretty limited how i can arrange the speakers.

One of my big concerns is that the setup is not symmetrical (because the room isn't). One speaker would be placed different and thus have a different behavior while playing. That is what i imagine and due to my lack of knowledge and understanding (especially how the surround speakers would work in my given scenario) i am so unsure.

On your picture the rears on the back wall are set symmetrical with a wall on each side. In my room this would not be the case. And i don't know how this would sound. This is the essence.

Edited by Nitemare

• Moderators

The good thing is the RS-62 are "Wide Dispersion" meaning they "spread" the sound around so that it makes it more difficult to "locate" where the sound is coming from.  If your receiver has calibration software with a microphone, it will be able to adjust the levels and distance.

• Like 1

There are MANY forum members with not so ideal rooms (various shapes, sizes, angled ceilings, non-rectangular rooms etc) and they have great results

Yes, you are right. I just don't want to make mistakes. Because the speakers are not for free you know, haha :)

My living room has an unusual shape.  I run only L/C/R, no surrounds because I don't have a good way of setting them up.  The La Scala speakers have such good bass a sub-woofer is not needed for TV watching which is what we do here 95% of the time.

post-58280-0-37620000-1457623910_thumb.j

Mein Wohnzimmer hat eine ungewöhnliche Form.  Ich laufe nur L/C/R, kein umgibt, weil ich keinen guten Weg für sie einrichten.  Die Mailänder Scala-Lautsprecher haben solche gute Gitarre ein Sub-Woofer nicht, für TV erforderlich ist, gerade die ist, was wir hier machen 95 % der Zeit.

Edited by wvu80

I totally understand. Ask all the questions you want, we are here to help

Thanks!

Well, my biggest concern was with the mounting at the wall and the one speaker being not directly mounted next to a side wall. But if you say that this shouldn't be a problem then i am reliefed.

I currently own the RF-62 (MK1). Is it a big problem to add the RS-62 II to the setup? It seems on the german market you cannot find the corresponding MK1 surround speakers.

Nitemare, if you haven't bought your surround speakers yet, I would suggest you put the money into a center speaker first. 

The surround speakers don't add much substance like music or voice.  They add mostly ambiance like off-center gunfire, people clapping, birds chirping.

Nitemare, wenn Sie noch nicht gekauft, Ihre Surround-Lautsprecher haben noch, ich, Sie vorschlagen würde setzen das Geld zunächst in ein Center-Lautsprecher.

Die Surround-Lautsprecher hinzufügen nicht viel Substanz wie Musik oder Stimme.  Sie fügen meist Ambiente wie außermittigen Gewehrfeuer, Menschen klatschen, Vögel zwitschern.

Don't worry. I will buy the center with the surround speakers :)

Thank you.  That makes me feel much better!  :lol:

Danke.  Das macht mich fühle mich viel besser!

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators
Well, my biggest concern was with the mounting at the wall and the one speaker being not directly mounted next to a side wall.

If the back left speaker doesn't have a side wall, it just means there won't be as much reflected sound coming from it but you will still hear the wide dispersion from it.

I currently own the RF-62 (MK1). Is it a big problem to add the RS-62 II to the setup?

Not at all.  I've owned the RS-62 and now RS-62ii and there is no difference in sound.  The only thing I noticed was the woofers were a different color (copper vs bronze) and a rounded speaker grill instead of a triangular grill.