Possible to mount Surround Speakers(RS62) to the backwall in this room?

Nitemare

Sehr gut, Nitemare, Youthman, und Dave.  Abbe, ich habbe alles meine Deutsch vergessen!

Thank you, my friend.  B)

Here's what Microsoft Translate thinks you said:

Thank, Nitemare, Youthman, Und Dave.  Abbe, Ich Habbe Alles Meine English Vergessen!

I hope the English to German translations I've been posting are doing better!  :wacko:

+++

FYI: Basically when we are having lunch in New York they are having dinner in Germany.

I hope the English to German translations I've been posting are doing better

No problem. You don't have to go the extra mile to translate it to german. I can understand your english just fine! No fancy words here, haha :))

You guys really helped me out here. I am now more confident in buying the surround speakers. I hope the result will be good. Still two more months till i move though ;/. Now to find a good deal for the three speakers :)

Would it be possible to mount one surround speaker to the sidewall and the other one on the back wall? Would this make a big difference?

Do you think i should go for the RS62? Or is the RS42/52 enough? For the center i would pick the RC62 (MK1).

Edited by Nitemare

• Moderators

I have on the RS52, then upgraded to the RS 62 And now a pair of RS62ii. The only reason I did that each time was because I came across a ridiculous deal and could not pass it up. I only paid $181 for each pair of RS62ii. If it was not for that, I would have kept the RS52. They sound great and had no problem keeping up with my previous RF83 and RC64.

If it were me, if there is a significant difference in price between the RS52 and RS62, save some cash and go with the RS52.

The RS62 are not night and day difference but they do have a bigger sound.

Yeah, but as you can see in the picture which i provided i cannot mount surround speakers to the side.

Thats why i want to add the RS-62 to the back. And i am a bit unsure if it is not wasted money.

Sorry, but you are right, it is wasted money. :)  If I had not put these same speakers in the same location with the same listening position, I wouldn't say anything.  It does some weird stuff.  You can put 5.1 surrounds behind you, it's not ideal but it works, but, these in particular just don't work well behind you if you are close to them at all, you need direct firing bookshelves or something.  

What specifically happens is that on the seats off to the side, when something plays behind you, the one closest to you can't be heard well, but you are in the direct firing line of the tweeter on the other side, so it comes through strong.  Same thing if you go to the other side of the room, nothing is hardly ever seemingly behind you.  If you couple these with side surrounds of the same type, sometimes there is some weird cancellation going on.  I finally got rid of mine altogether in that position.  Eventually I will put some direct firing lower towers back there, but for now, there is nothing, it actually sounds better without them and only 5.1 sides.  I would not recommend these speakers in this position in your room layout due to nearly identical personal experience.  If you need to put any back there, get some direct firing ones.  They would work if you were further away, but your angles are pretty much the same thing I had going on and it's just not a good thing.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Moderators
My living room has an unusual shape.  I run only L/C/R, no surrounds because I don't have a good way of setting them up.

I like how you set up the room, many people try to jam up everything on the left side of the hallway, like you have it I would think sounds much better.  :emotion-21:

Welcome, Nightmare  :)

What specifically happens is that on the seats off to the side, when something plays behind you, the one closest to you can't be heard well, but you are in the direct firing line of the tweeter on the other side, so it comes through strong.

I've always wondered but never tried it, if it's possible to flip the 2 motor boards on one of the surrounds (RS) so that they are on the same plane as the opposing speaker when positioned behind the MLP

I skimmed through here quickly, so I could have missed it, but what is the best position suppose to be for side surrounds?  I've read multiple things.  To the side direct earshot 12-24" above seated position.  12" behind direct earshot 12-24" above seated position.  To the side direct earshot at ear level? 

Sounds like that's pretty wide range of locations.

I skimmed through here quickly, so I could have missed it, but what is the best position suppose to be for side surrounds?  I've read multiple things.  To the side direct earshot 12-24" above seated position.  12" behind direct earshot 12-24" above seated position.  To the side direct earshot at ear level? 

Sounds like that's pretty wide range of locations.

90 to 110 degrees back is a constant, doesn't matter what the actual distance is, it's more about the angles.  

Used to the recommendation was to be elevated slightly above ear level but nowadays with Atmos taking over, they are changing that to be the same height as your mains.  

Yeah, but as you can see in the picture which i provided i cannot mount surround speakers to the side.

Thats why i want to add the RS-62 to the back. And i am a bit unsure if it is not wasted money.

Sorry, but you are right, it is wasted money. :)  If I had not put these same speakers in the same location with the same listening position, I wouldn't say anything.  It does some weird stuff.  You can put 5.1 surrounds behind you, it's not ideal but it works, but, these in particular just don't work well behind you if you are close to them at all, you need direct firing bookshelves or something.  

What specifically happens is that on the seats off to the side, when something plays behind you, the one closest to you can't be heard well, but you are in the direct firing line of the tweeter on the other side, so it comes through strong.  Same thing if you go to the other side of the room, nothing is hardly ever seemingly behind you.  If you couple these with side surrounds of the same type, sometimes there is some weird cancellation going on.  I finally got rid of mine altogether in that position.  Eventually I will put some direct firing lower towers back there, but for now, there is nothing, it actually sounds better without them and only 5.1 sides.  I would not recommend these speakers in this position in your room layout due to nearly identical personal experience.  If you need to put any back there, get some direct firing ones.  They would work if you were further away, but your angles are pretty much the same thing I had going on and it's just not a good thing.  

Uhm, ok? This would be like a 180° turn of events here :)

This is bad... now i don't know what to do anymore :(

Uhm, ok? This would be like a 180° turn of events here :)

This is bad... now i don't know what to do anymore :(

You just need to make a decision and do what you think is best. If you don't like it, then you will know. You are getting confused about objective information and subjective opinions.

Sit down in the listening position in the room and think about it. The sound waves radiate out from each speaker driver and are loudest where they are aimed and get less loud as they are off-axis. Sound waves bounce off walls like a wave in a swimming pool bounces off the sides, then it makes peaks. If you immerse yourself into the room and visualize in your mind how these sounds are coming at you, you will be better able to decide. If after all the advice both subjective and objective and personal immersion and analysis, you make a decision, it will be the best decision you can make. If you implement that decision and you don't like what you hear, then you will know. There can never be true success without the risk of failure.

• Like 2

post-55495-0-88300000-1415084983_thumb.j I use the RS62II's for surrounds and they are behind me and also quite close. Also around 12-16 inches above my ears. My experience is I prefer them over direct firing bookshelves. I had the RB51II's back there and prefer the RS62II's. My room isn't the greatest either but I make it work until I get a dedicated room. 

• Moderators
You just need to make a decision and do what you think is best. If you don't like it, then you will know. You are getting confused about objective information and subjective opinions.

Mustang is right.  There have been several times I have sought advice from forum members and received contradicting info.  We all have different opinions and have different experiences.  You have to take the information you have been given, and then ultimately make your own decision based on what you have heard and what you feel is the right decision.  I for one do not claim to know everything, I can only share from the knowledge and experience that I have. 

More subjective opinions. :)

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

"The SBL (surround back left) & SBR (surround back right) speakers should be the direct firing type"

----------------

My official subjective opinion is that they could work if given enough space, but for the angles in question, you're asking for trouble, and I can reproduce this in my room.  Your room is even the exact same dimensions as my room believe it or not, as well as the same layout, and you're talking about the same speakers.  If you want to ignore that, then knock yourself out, it will work, but in no way will be ideal, especially considering that you're already compromising by putting 5.1 side surrounds behind you.  If you already have them it would be one thing, but since you don't, there may be better choices.  

Given the situation, I would consider some small towers or bookshelves on a stand and put beside you.  Even if it overlaps the window a bit, that would be better than putting these behind you.  Having four similar towers in the proper placement is an awesome setup and would be far superior to what you're talking about.  The room is offset a little now as well, personally I would see if you can make it symmetrical.  

Better yet though, if you rearrange your room, most of these issues go away.  Change the room so that your seats face down in your diagram, basically rotate your room 90 degrees to the right.  You could probably get away with hanging surrounds on the sides behind the picture window at that point, otherwise you can use towers and go in front of the window a bit if need be.  Having that big window right at your first reflection point isn't ideal, but could be mostly tamed with some heavy drapes, unless you wanted to just plug the whole thing with insulation, but that's another conversation.  

Sound-wise, this would be way better than placing side surrounds behind you.  If you don't want to do this, then consider a standalone tower or bookshelf that can sit in front of that window on top.  

room%202_zpsj3r1ydjw.png

More subjective opinions. :)

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

"The SBL (surround back left) & SBR (surround back right) speakers should be the direct firing type"

----------------

My official subjective opinion is that they could work if given enough space, but for the angles in question, you're asking for trouble, and I can reproduce this in my room.  Your room is even the exact same dimensions as my room believe it or not, as well as the same layout, and you're talking about the same speakers.  If you want to ignore that, then knock yourself out, it will work, but in no way will be ideal, especially considering that you're already compromising by putting 5.1 side surrounds behind you.  If you already have them it would be one thing, but since you don't, there may be better choices.  

Given the situation, I would consider some small towers or bookshelves on a stand and put beside you.  Even if it overlaps the window a bit, that would be better than putting these behind you.  Having four similar towers in the proper placement is an awesome setup and would be far superior to what you're talking about.  The room is offset a little now as well, personally I would see if you can make it symmetrical.  

Better yet though, if you rearrange your room, most of these issues go away.  Change the room so that your seats face down in your diagram, basically rotate your room 90 degrees to the right.  You could probably get away with hanging surrounds on the sides behind the picture window at that point, otherwise you can use towers and go in front of the window a bit if need be.  Having that big window right at your first reflection point isn't ideal, but could be mostly tamed with some heavy drapes, unless you wanted to just plug the whole thing with insulation, but that's another conversation.  

Sound-wise, this would be way better than placing side surrounds behind you.  If you don't want to do this, then consider a standalone tower or bookshelf that can sit in front of that window on top.  

room%202_zpsj3r1ydjw.png

Hey, thanks for the insight. This, unfortunately, is not possible because our TV wall we just purchased wouldn't fit with your layout. I only have the choice putting the Stands/cent in front at the long wall. Do you think mounting the bookshelve speakers left/right next to the window(via wall mount) behind the listening position would do the trick too? They could be angled to the listening position.

This, unfortunately, is not possible because our TV wall we just purchased wouldn't fit with your layout. I only have the choice putting the Stands/cent in front at the long wall.

That must be one heck of an entertainment center, that's a 15' long wall. :)

Do you think mounting the bookshelve speakers left/right next to the window(via wall mount) behind the listening position would do the trick too? They could be angled to the listening position.

Yes, my personal opinion is that this would be better than mounting incorrect speakers in an incorrect location and dealing with incorrect reflections/cancellations/directivity, but that's just me.

Just don't let the angle get too large. Dolby recommends no more than 110 degrees. If you get back too far you'll lose the seamless panning around the room, you'll just have your mains plus ambience, rather than the system being able to seamlessly transfer from the mains to the surrounds, which is a cool effect that you don't want to lose. This is why I mentioned maybe having bookshelves on a stand that can be in front of that one window if necessary.

HOWEVER, do try to make the room symmetrical if possible if you do this though, the way you have it now will have one surround several feet further away than the other while sitting in the middle sweet spot. Audessey can compensate somewhat, but this just isn't optimal. If you could center the seat in the middle of the room this would work better. The massive entertainment center may prevent this from happening though, I'm not sure how big that is and this drawing probably isn't to scale.

Me personally, if you did not want to center the couch or rotate 90 degrees, I'd be getting some towers or bookshelves on a stand and just have them near the couch sitting out in the floor. Look at the Dolby guides, they do this.  This is also the recommended way to set up Atmos, with direct firing speakers at the same height as your mains, preferably the same ones if possible.  If you get four matching towers it would be awesome.  

room%204_zpsixxijkba.png

5-1-dolby-setup-739x351.jpg?ver=17

dolby-surround-sound.jpg

185011763_home-cinema-500.jpg

That must be one heck of an entertainment center, that's a 15' long wall

It is not 15'. There is a door in between ;) It is only 9', hehe.

Your last setup that you posted would be the best (except the subwoofer being in front instead of next to the listening position)

This would be a good setup because this suggests that i could mount the bookshelve speakers to the wall behind me. This would save a lot of space in the room. This would make my girlfriend happy too :D. She is pretty wary of this whole "surround stuff". I have to do a lot of talking ;)

Edited by Nitemare

I use the RS62II's for surrounds and they are behind me and also quite close. Also around 12-16 inches above my ears. My experience is I prefer them over direct firing bookshelves. I had the RB51II's back there and prefer the RS62II's. My room isn't the greatest either but I make it work until I get a dedicated room. 

Is there a wall directly to the right speaker on the wall? Or is there some space.

This would be a good setup because this suggests that i could mount the bookshelve speakers to the wall behind me. 

I thought you were talking about in that far upper left corner to the left of the window on top, that's why I mentioned the symmetry issue.