Modeling Klipschorn bass unit

ARKYTYPE SAID... [[unless my Klipschorns purchased new in 1979 are an anomaly, there is no connecting passageway from the top and bottom sinuses to the rear air chamber.]] ARKY If you look closely into the depths of the little side boards I bet you will find a little passage way. Almost impossible to see I used a piece of wire to find it BUT it is there. They are connected even in yours I'm pretty sure. Go back up to actual picture of a bass bin and see where those side boards are cut at an angle? Well when you put on the very last outside panel that leaves a passage way to sinus part.

In fact in your illustration your ''NO SYMBOL'' covers the exact part I'm talking about needless to say I spent a lot of time inside my K-Horns..lol..sealing an air leak up because I found leaks to the outside. Rick

Edited by ricktate

The reason mine had air leaks I think since they were made in 1972 the glue had gotten brittle. So I devised a way to pressurize the rear air chamber and test it. The reason I found it was by mistake or I wouldn't have even checked. I bet there are a lot out there with air leaks. Rick

The plexi-glass Klipschorn shows it reasonably well.  As ricktate states, they're there.  They can be seen with flashlight and mirror.  If your hand is small enough you can jam it down and poke a finger thru.

Only a guy who wears socks with sandals would design something like that.

WMcD

John, et al,

Yep, they are right where you said they were! An elegant solution to a difficult problem. Raise your hand if you would have connected the upper and lower sinuses with a PVC pipe.

Here's a link to the building of the Plexiglass Klipschorn. Maybe we should have a photo caption contest.

Lee

https://www.flickr.com/photos/klipsch_audio/sets/72157634899990129/

• 2 years later...

So it is 2 years later, has anyone out there "plugged" those sinus access holes and tested PWK' s assertion regarding the 60hz bump in bass response? Also, are these the only extensions to the Vb seen by the rear of the driver? I am curious, as the bass response graphs I have seen show a rather peaked response around 100-150Hz, and a steep notch at ~70hz. The K-horns I recently heard SOUND like that - the bass was very peaked and not at all what I expected. Once I have a chance to measure, I would want to check the response. Was unable to find the measurement method for the notch_effect_4 data.

K-horn_response.jpg

Notch_effect_4.png

On 4/7/2016 at 10:16 AM, WMcD said:

Only a guy who wears socks with sandals would design something like that.

WMcD

Or a guy that took pictures standing up through the sun-roof of his Mercedes while driving.

On 4/7/2016 at 12:28 PM, Arkytype said:

John, et al,

Yep, they are right where you said they were! An elegant solution to a difficult problem. Raise your hand if you would have connected the upper and lower sinuses with a PVC pipe.

Here's a link to the building of the Plexiglass Klipschorn. Maybe we should have a photo caption contest.

Lee

https://www.flickr.com/photos/klipsch_audio/sets/72157634899990129/

Very cool. Excuse my ignorance, I know the tall feller with glasses is PWK. Do we know who the other two gents are?