Juicy Music Peach Owners - Tube Recommendation

rockhound

I have a slight "static" sound when I switch my pre into play mode. I know for a fact that it is the pre amp and not my power amp as I tested this with another HT receiver. I'm looking at the manual and the diagram shows that my peach has

1- 12x4 for power section

3- 6dj8 dual triodes

He mentioned that acceptable compatible types are

CCa/E88CC

I have never changed or bought tubes for this pre amp so please speak in layman's terms when describing any recommendations.

I'm not sure what info is needed to get recommendations but here goes. I listen to mostly classic and hard rock I have a Mcintosh 2105 that powers a pair of Klipsch CF4's. I have a dacmagic hooked to the tape in inputs on the peach so I can stream music from my laptop to my apple tv at the time I do not have  CD player (researching).

Budget is below 250 for new tubes, I really appreciate any advice that you can give me as I'm new to tubes as I explained above.

Thanks

I recommend power cycling............leave the unit off for a few minutes then turn back on.  I believe standby keeps the unit on and tube heaters on.  I never use standby on my Peach.  It doesn't take that long to heat it up.  Leaving it on forever can generate some oscillation.  It has happened at times just playing it and with certain tubes.

• Like 1

I don't know any numbers, but Mark told me one of his favorite tubes was something called (if I recall) "Red Rocket".

It had a rudimentary drawing of a rocket blasting off and some dude straddling it.

I took him at face value and ordered one.  I've never had any issues.  I don't recall how long but I've probably had my Peach for 8-10 years.

I have a slight "static" sound when I switch my pre into play mode. I know for a fact that it is the pre amp and not my power amp as I tested this with another HT receiver. I'm looking at the manual and the diagram shows that my peach has

1- 12x4 for power section

3- 6dj8 dual triodes

He mentioned that acceptable compatible types are

CCa/E88CC

I have never changed or bought tubes for this pre amp so please speak in layman's terms when describing any recommendations.

I'm not sure what info is needed to get recommendations but here goes. I listen to mostly classic and hard rock I have a Mcintosh 2105 that powers a pair of Klipsch CF4's. I have a dacmagic hooked to the tape in inputs on the peach so I can stream music from my laptop to my apple tv at the time I do not have  CD player (researching).

Budget is below 250 for new tubes, I really appreciate any advice that you can give me as I'm new to tubes as I explained above.

Thanks

Early production Siemens CCa's  silver plate, (Yellow w/ Blue Box), and Telefunken ECC801S.

For the rectifier tube, try a vintage RCA.

Edited by Gilbert

Well then chances are darn good the tube used in HI Z mode which is Always in use regardless of mode of operation.has a bad triode section(noisy).

Heck it might just need the tube sockets and tube pins cleaned.

Edited by NOSValves
  • Like 1

You need some CAIG brand Deoxit. You just slowly and carefully work the tubes out of the sockets with a gentle circular upward motion. They will moved stiff at first then loosen up as you get them worked out of the socket. Once you get them out you give each socket a squirt of deoxit and carefully plug a tube in and out of the a.few times. Once that is done to sockets give them one more squirt. Now squirt some deoxit in the can top and use a q-tip dunking it in the cleaner than clean up the tube pins.

Now you are done cleaning the tubes pins and sockets but you have a nasty mess on the circuit board. You need.some type of forced air to clean that up with. Do not use rags. If you don't have a compressor then go to any electronics store and buy a can of forced air. In fact its smart to actually hit the circuit board with forced air before you start to get the dust off the board before you started spraying.

You can get CAIG Deoxit here

http://www.parts-express.com/caig-deoxit-d5s-6-spray-5-oz--341-200

they also carry canned air

http://www.parts-express.com/fast-blast-duster-can-of-air-removes-dust-and-debris-canned-air-10-oz--340-500

Keep track of what tube came out of what socket. You want to keep the.noise in a same spot for now in case the cleaning does no good. Even if it doesn't maintenance like this is never a bad idea.

Report back if he noise is still present and we will start swapping tube around to pin point or illuminate them as the cause.

Craig thanks I pulled the tubes last night and both of the 6dj8's have corrosion on them. I ordered the deoxit also. Funny thing is my peach only has 2 6d's and one larger tube that I can't remember right now the manual shows 4 but mine has 3. Just thought that was odd.

Telefunken ECC801S

WARNING!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT PUT THIS IN YOUR AMP, IT IS A 12AT7 TYPE!

TS Matt.

I think Gilbert is mistaken in thinking that the Peach is the same as the BBX. The BBX does use two 12AT7's in the phono section but no place to safely use them in a Peach. Edited by NOSValves

You need some CAIG brand Deoxit. You just slowly and carefully work the tbes out of the sockets with a gentle circular upward motion. They will moved stiff sr first then loosen up as you get them worked out of the socket. Once you get hem out you give each socket a squirt of deoxit and carefully plug s tube in and outo the s of it a.few times. Once that is done to sockets give them one more squirt. Now squirt some deoxit in the can top and use a qtip dunking it in the cleaner than clean up the tube pins.

Now you done cleaning the tubes pins and sockets but you have a nasty mess on the circuit board. You need.some type of forced air to clean that up with. Do not use rags. If you don't have a compressor then go to any electronics store and buy a can of forced air. In fact its smart to actually hit the circuit board with forced air before you start to he the dust off he board before you started spraying.

You can get CAIG Deoxit here

http://www.parts-express.com/caig-deoxit-d5s-6-spray-5-oz--341-200

they also carry canned air

http://www.parts-express.com/fast-blast-duster-can-of-air-removes-dust-and-debris-canned-air-10-oz--340-500

Keep track of what tube me out of what socket. You ant to keep the.noise in a same spot for now in case the cleaning does no good. Even if it doesn't maintenance like this is never a bad idea.

Report back if he noise is still present and we will start swapping tube around to pin point or illuminate them as the cause.

Update - I got the deoxit in today pulled the tubes and cleaned them and the tube sockets. Hiss is gone thanks a bunch Craig saved me some coin!

Edited by rockhound