Juicy Music Peach Owners - Tube Recommendation

rockhound

Update - I got the deoxit in today pulled the tubes and cleaned them and the tube sockets. Hiss is gone thanks a bunch Craig saved me some coin!

Craigs only purpose on the forum is self promotion and would never give advice for free.

Not.

Glad it was something that simple.

• 1 year later...

Update the static/hiss is still giving me fits. i updated all the tubes (6DJ8 Amperex Bugle Boy and Amperex 6922). I recently bought a set of Khorns and hooked this up after it sitting close to 3mths (Trying out an emotiva XSP-1), let it warm up for about 20min. The hiss/static is very noticeable on the Khorns so much so that I have to turn the volume up past my normal listening level to conceal it.

I have had the unit for a few years and it has been dead quiet however I think this started after I sent the unit to Mark D for his upgrade service. THat could be coincidence I don't know.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Also who is a trusted source to send it to if I decide to go that route?

I guess I'll weigh in here although I have nothing positive or constructive to add. I've owned a couple Peaches, a Blueberry and a Merlin. No matter what tubes I used in the Peach and BB they were All Noisey, Hissy. Never owned one of them for over a month or two. Without doubt the Merlin was the quietest of all the JM's I owned. I would own another Merlin; would never consider the others. Seems I'm in the minority but I've never understood the allure. 

• Like 1

My BBX was also noisier than my Merlin, and I kept the Merlin. Very under rated piece of equipment, but I think better than the others.

I'm sorry you are having trouble with it. Mark always said it was problematic finding quiet tubes.

This is my first piece of tube equipment. I love this Peach and the hiss/static may be normal I'm just used to solid state were there is no noise. I may just pull one tube at a time and see if any of them could be the problem child. If I cant find the culprit then I guess my next step would be to send it off for evaluation.

11 hours ago, rockhound said:

Update the static/hiss is still giving me fits. i updated all the tubes (6DJ8 Amperex Bugle Boy and Amperex 6922). I recently bought a set of Khorns and hooked this up after it sitting close to 3mths (Trying out an emotiva XSP-1), let it warm up for about 20min. The hiss/static is very noticeable on the Khorns so much so that I have to turn the volume up past my normal listening level to conceal it.

I have had the unit for a few years and it has been dead quiet however I think this started after I sent the unit to Mark D for his upgrade service. THat could be coincidence I don't know.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Also who is a trusted source to send it to if I decide to go that route?

Okay so before it sat for X amount of months you had no problems after the cleaning we went through before?

What speakers and more importantly what amplifier were you using it with when you had no problem?

Is the amplifier your using also different now with the noise problem present?

I suggest everyone allow the OP to answer a few questions first to help narrow down the possible cause before tossing out all kind of suggestions which can cause confusion. I'm not trying to blame the amp having a defect so don't get the wrong idea.

Hey Craig! After I cleaned the tubes it was better but not completely gone like it had been before.

You may be on to something that I have overlooked. The prior setup was a set of CF4's and the amp was my old MC2105. The new amp (Emotiva XPA-2) my have more gain than the old McIntosh? That amp is currently with Terry Dewick getting serviced for no other reason than I dont think it has ever been serviced and it is older than dirt!

I will say that for me the hiss/static is not desirable with my current setup. I don't expect tube equipment to be dead silent but I also don't expect to be able to hear it from my listening position (9ft). I'm away from the house until June 18th so I can't do any further troubleshooting.

57 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Emotiva XPA-2

Actually the published specs of 1.2 volts ac to rated power and the rather low 22k sîngle ended RCA input the peaches low z output should work well with that amp' 

A few more questions....

1) I take it you have been able to use the EMO amp with other equipment without the noise issues?

2) what brand, age and history are the 3 audio tubes in the peach ? These would be the 6DJ8 or 6H30 tubes not the 12X4....

3) Is the noise similar in either mode low or hi Z?

it could be more than just the device itself. if I plug in my portable dac/headphone amp to my nvidia shield via usb and play through the tube amp, I get staticy hiss. if I disconnect the usb and playback files directly from the device's internal storage there isn't any staticy hiss. 

so it could be source device, it could be interconnects, or who knows, but maybe not isolated to the peach. 

My experience was close but not apples to apples.
My Peach + Tercel was black quite until I tried Emo XPA-1s. I described it has floor noise caused by too much gain. The music covered the hiss very quickly but warm up and between tracks irritated the crapola out of me. I had gone from VRD Stereo to XPA-1s and then to VRD monos: silence > hiss > silence.

At one time I had a scratchy tube in the Peach but that was just a new tube from B Jesse away.

Question, where are your gains?

On my Peach (early version), I have some hiss as the gains approach "12:00" from either direction.  The hiss lowers as you head towards zero OR maximum gain.

I talked to Mark about this and he said that the design was at 'fault' (to use a bad word, not slamming anything)

He said that the circuit did "this & that" (stuff over my head) and when the gains tended towards the middle, the signal would be more at balance (maximizing the noise) OR, the signal would be most out of balance (maximizing the noise)

Whatever the issue was, he said it was simply the circuit.

My fix?  Keep them maxed and I had full strength into the active and lowest noise input.

with the 1.2 VAC to full power rating of the XPA amp the over all gain should not be a huge issue the VRD amplifiers have about 20% more gain. I thought I had heard of others having noise issues with the XPA line of amplifier coupled to Juicy Music gear in general. I think its just a poor match from some other aspect. 

SS and tubes do not always play well together. heck tubes /tubes or SS/SS can duke it out at times