Minimum Speaker wire AWG I can get away with....

felipe

The rule of thumb I have seen is that you want to keep the resistance of you wire run to less than 5% of the nominal impedance of your speaker to keep in inaudible. This is usually pretty easy to do with short runs wit 8ohm speakers. If you have 4 ohm speakers like Palladiums and a 30 foot run, then you might need 12 gauge to achieve less than 5%. There is a table on Wikipedia. If doing the calculation yourself be sure to include double the wire length as you have to account for both strands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like I won't have to worry about getting speaker cable as I found a 50ft spool of it in my home while doing some cleaning. It's 12 gauge tho..but it looks like it's quality and maybe thin enough to conceal...lets find out :).

• Like 2

Awesome. This was a pretty entertaining thread. Thanks for starting it.

My 2 cents. If I can't fit the wire into the hole in either the speaker or the amp/receiver and I have to cut bits off, then the wire is too big. I like 14 awg, but 12 is a bit more manly. :)

• Like 2

The not so good news..I wasn't able to completely conceal the wire. The good news, I was able to partially conceal the wire lol. It has a thick jacket but it was flexible. I was able to use the speaker stands wire managment to partially conceal the wire (the good news) ;). With help of banana plugs, hook up was easy.

• Like 1