Black Satin Paint for KG Series

toolz

Not sure how well you will be able to "match" the original finish.  I would suggest to tape off and lightly sand the entire cabinet. I have never used it on speakers before but of the MANY other projects, my go to is most always Rust-Oleum enamel (spray).  It dries fast and hard.  About 10 very light coats and it is unbeatable.  Provides an excellent, protective surface and looks very nice.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

I took a speaker in to Sherwin Williams and they helped me pick a durable one coat finish. I prepped the speakers with a scotch pad and ammonia, removed drivers and horns, masked parts I didn't want painted, spray painted the screws stuck in cardboard separately and rolled the finish on the cabinets with a roller they recommended. All together, I restored 50 speakers using this method. The metal grilles got scotch pad, de-greased and spray painted. 

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

Note: This method will cover wood grain. The speakers I restored were KPT's.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

Matthews and Mustang Guy thanks for the ideas. I need to rethink my plan of attack on these cabinets due to the flaking issue. It is worse than I thought and will not provide a good base to paint over.

• Like 2

Interesting. Is there anything not made with soy today? Seriously, looks like a good idea. In trying to clean off the paint, I need to be careful of the thin plastic finish on the face and back of the cabinets. A caustic stripper most likely would damage the plastic.

Interesting. Is there anything not made with soy today? Seriously, looks like a good idea. In trying to clean off the paint, I need to be careful of the thin plastic finish on the face and back of the cabinets. A caustic stripper most likely would damage the plastic.

You can test that out. I will say this. The stuff is good, and it goes a long way. It doesn't stink or burn your skin. It's actually hard to believe it removes paint as tame as it seems to be.

I use brake fluid to remove paint when I want something extremely weak. It takes over night and even then only a layer. A scotch pad with brake fluid is a good way to remove paint from wire shielding. It did this on a 66 Beetle I restored. All the wires were painted black. With brake fluid, a scotch pad and elbow grease, I got the colors to pop out.

IMG_1937.jpg

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Somewhere in the forum there are several mentions of black satin #40 and it's a common brand but it escapes me for the moment.  That would be for the original look.  Previous suggestions here are great for a more durable finish.

Just remembered, it's ValSpar.

Edited by oldtimer
  • Like 2

It's in Groomie's PDFs posted at the top of the 2 Channel section:

8. "Lacquer" refers to the application of one or two thin coats of a clear semi-gloss lacquer sprayed on the cabinet and motor board prior to installation of drivers. That lacquer was obtained from various vendors, and as of 2013, is a
#40 sheen, semi-gloss lacquer from Valspar/OPEC. Lacquer finishes only require a routine wiping off with a clean dry cloth to maintain the finish.
9. For "Black Lacquer" finishes, the factory used a flat black lacquer primer, then #40 sheen black lacquer, with a clear #40 sheen to protect the black finish

• Like 1

It's in Groomie's PDFs posted at the top of the 2 Channel section:

8. "Lacquer" refers to the application of one or two thin coats of a clear semi-gloss lacquer sprayed on the cabinet and motor board prior to installation of drivers. That lacquer was obtained from various vendors, and as of 2013, is a

#40 sheen, semi-gloss lacquer from Valspar/OPEC. Lacquer finishes only require a routine wiping off with a clean dry cloth to maintain the finish.

9. For "Black Lacquer" finishes, the factory used a flat black lacquer primer, then #40 sheen black lacquer, with a clear #40 sheen to protect the black finish

Any idea if this also applied to the black paint used on the Professional line?

I can second Mustang Guy's suggestion. I have 4 of his finished products in my media room. I would also suggest to try to find something that is water-based since it is easier to clean up. I've refinished a lot of speakers and black is the easiest to repair.

Edited by japosey

Started to work on the KG.  As always not what was expected.  The paint is flaking because the veneer is buckling and lifting off of the mdf.  Looks like a prolonged moisture issue.  Need to rethink the project again.   

Edited by toolz

Any idea if this also applied to the black paint used on the Professional line?
Marshall updated his info and it's in a single PDF you can download, It's pinned to the top of the Two Channel forums.

I don't know about the pro models, perhaps Colter would know. A lot of companies use DuraTex, by Acry-Tech Coatings.

Bruce