Heresy I Woofer...Kaput?

denhabr

Folks,

Think I may have a blown woofer in one of my 21 year old Heresy I's. But how can I test to make sure it is indeed the K-22-R woofer that's shot, and not a component of the cross-over network?

The speaker is an HBR, U-dated (1980), and has served me well for these past years. Would Klipsch's replacement woofer for the Heresy II (the K-24-K) be a good swap? Would I have to swap both woofers from both of my Heresy's so that the sound is balanced? Any other mods while I have it (them) apart?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

Brad

Dear Denhabr,

You haven't told us about your level of technical experience. Depending on this, the stuff below is gonna be a big adventure, or a piece of cake.

If you're inexperienced, this is good time to learn. There is not much you can hurt.

If you are a bit of a handy man, it should not be too difficult to take the back off the box and look around.

Whether the woofer voice coil is burned out should be easy to determine. Even the low end multi meters from Radio Shack have a continuity tester. There is usually a little speaker on the dial setting. When you connect the red and black probes together, there is a tone.

Disconnect the wires leading to the woofer and see if the meter indicates continuity when you touch them, with moderate firm-ness, to the woofer terminals. If there is no tone, you have an open, burned out voice coil.

You can also use the meter to measure ohms. That is the omega on the dial. A good voice coil will measure about 5 ohms. A bad one will show no change from whatever the meter shows when the probes are connected to nothing.

In essence, the 5 or so ohms should be the same as continuity from the meter's point of view. But the 5 ohms really is a definitive test.

If you do upgrade, it might be best to replace the woofers on both units. Other people on the bbs or the folks at the factory can advise if the upgrade works with the original crossover components.

Again, I'd encourage you to not be worried about doing the work yourself. It is a great learning experience. We'll all be pleased to give further advice.

It is really too bad we don't see stuff like this on the many home improvement channels. The thought is the same. Simple stuff and nothing to be afraid of. Even if you have to be told "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey" you should try it.

Others on the bbs will tell you about the use of rope caulking on horns and p-traps. Right? guys and girls!

Gil

Gil

Gil,

Thanks! I got to RS over the weekend, bought me a spiffy new digital multi-meter and made the tests as you suggested.

Yup...blown woofer! I had no tone on the continuity test, and the resistance was well over 1 M Ohms and climbing...never did really stop. The other woofer checked out fine...got the tone, and got about 6.9 Ohms.

So...I've spoken to Matt W. there at Klipsch Customer Service and he said the new Heresy II K-24-K woofer would work in my 21 year old Heresy I just fine. He also asked who gave me the suggestion from the BB...and I told him it was you. He said "your the man"!

I found your instructions spot on. I've never had a multi-meter since my concentration back in school was ME, not EE (wrenches yes...multi-meter, no). However, that term paper I wrote about proper speaker placement (using the '80 Klipsch Audio Papers as a formal reference) for my one and only EE course was a help...I'm sure. Hell, I don't even believe in electrons!

Thanks for your help...

------------------

Brad

Since your woofer is open I think you should investigate it a little more before sending Klipsch $94 for a single K24 that will not sound like your K22.Take an exacto knife or single edged razor blade and remove the dustcap.Leave an 1/8" or so where it meets the cone.What have you got to lose, you know it's open right? Look at where the braided tinsel leads go through the cone and crimp on to the voice coil wires.Scrape a little insulation off the voice coil wires and check again with your meter.I bet your coil is ok.A speaker re-cone shop will replace the tinsel leads and dustcap for about $15 or sell you the parts for about $5.

John is correct of course. Then again, I'd be careful about using a battery on a tweeter.

In any event, this was a nice excuse to buy a piece of test equipment and the meter will always be useful in other applications.

I'm pleased to encourage people to get their hands dirty. This gets people involved in the nitty gritty and it is always good to learn new things.

Gil

djk,

You mentioned in your recent reply to me that the K-24's will not sound like the K-22's that I'm replacing. Could you comment a little further? How WILL they sound? Bad? Better? Or just different? Appreciate your thoughts.

Brad

(with two new K-24-K's on order...)