Exposed floor joists for ceiling / acoustics

Rhoddog

Having diffusion on the ceiling is a good thing, i.e., leave it as-is.  More diffusion is even better, as in--you can put even more angled surfaces up there if you want.  You can also put absorption tiles at the "first bounce" point (halfway from the loudspeakers to the main listening position) to help with spurious reflections if it is an issue with exactly where you sit.  I don't believe that you're going to have any issues, however.

Conversely, putting sheet rock or plaster on that low of a ceiling is not so good in terms of the resulting acoustics for your loudspeakers/room.  Higher, diffuse ceilings are better.

Chris

• Like 2

Is the room exactly 20' square? There are some pretty serious room modes going on if the room is exactly square. In fact, with 7' ceilings, you would need a room that is much smaller in order to get a good bolt-area. Something like 11x17x7 would be ideal, but 13x20x7 would be reasonably good. Just don't make it 14x20x7, because 14 is exactly twice 7.

• Like 1

I believe the OP said that the back wall is opened up to a loft.  I don't see any issues with that.  Enclosing the room at 20 x 20 x 7 might be an issue, as the square dimension of the floor plan, and the 1/3 dimension of the height to width/length isn't preferable.

Chris; I read back over the OP and I'm having a hard time visualizing the room. So this is a room that is an upstairs loft that is 20' X 'something bigger' and it has exposed floor joists above? It sounds like a basement and an attic had sex and this was their child.   :)  Only kidding, everybody know basements and attics don't have sex because the ground floor always gets in the way.

Rhddog, do you have any pictures you can share? 

Edited by mustang guy

Now that's what I call a man cave!  That's why I love pictures. I would have never imagined the room looking like that. In fact, I've never seen a room with that configuration. What was it used for before you made it your pad?

I like the poochie. Too bad he is camera shy.  :)

fbYPtUE.jpg