For Dave

Gilbert

Ah, the beloved Katy!  God bless Texarkana and may Houston sink into the slime it's built on. 

At three months in I am able to look at it and laugh.  I still wish I had the God knows how many hours I spent in that insanity back!  I will never know what possesses people to live like that unless, like me, they have no choice.  Even then I studied the area carefully and drew a quadrant for my wife that said "We will live in this quadrant...anywhere you want but in this quadrant." 

I recall so many near misses I feared I'd not make it out of there alive.

While it's coming along even faster than I figured I am less anxious for an autonomous vehicle and could even wait until I feel I should drive anymore if necessary.

Dave

I just got back from my first visit to Los Angeles.  Their traffic is even worse, which is kind of unimaginable until you see it for yourself.

I think Dallas is worse than Houston as well.  Don't even get me started on Atlanta.......yech.

Dallas is at least as bad as Houston.  I refuse to make appointments there if it involves rush hours, which are about 3.5 hours on either side of the day.  Honolulu is worse, but the distances are smaller.  So what if it takes 45 minutes to go the 8 miles needed?  (barf)

when mkp is in a sh*tty mood on our way to work, i remind him to look out the window of the single lane state highway we travel....rolling hiiis and green fields.  no turns and 2 stop lights. 11 miles one way.   ahhhhh     sometimes he has to be reminded to count his blessings....  money is a necessary evil....  peace is priceless  :D

• Like 1

I just got back from my first visit to Los Angeles. Their traffic is even worse, which is kind of unimaginable until you see it for yourself.

you should have said something--i would have bought you dinner while you were here. And yeah, the traffic here sucks big time.
  • Like 1

I just got back from my first visit to Los Angeles. Their traffic is even worse, which is kind of unimaginable until you see it for yourself.

you should have said something--i would have bought you dinner while you were here. And yeah, the traffic here sucks big time.

I had no idea you were there.  Housing is pretty orbital, too, so I hear.

• Like 2

Dallas is at least as bad as Houston.  I refuse to make appointments there if it involves rush hours, which are about 3.5 hours on either side of the day.  Honolulu is worse, but the distances are smaller.  So what if it takes 45 minutes to go the 8 miles needed?  (barf)

Yep. Never been to Honolulu but DFW and the surrounds traffic situation is a MESS with no end in sight...Hwy 35E and Hwy 380 have become deathtraps from Dallas all of the way to McKinney--I remember the day when there used to be suburbs and open spots between cities...That said, rail is making a headway in this area and there are large Greenbelt trails.

Dallas is at least as bad as Houston.

Agreed, BUT there are more ways to get around there.  Where Iived on Galveston Bay you couldn't get anywhere else except Galveston without going though 50 miles of Houston.  Living in Flower Mound I learned to dive in and out of the metroplex to get places either quicker or with less hassle.  No breaks at all in Houston.

Dave

Housing cost is sick.  I once spent a half-million on a large closet.  Since my divorce, i've been renting an apartment. $1856/month for a 980 sqft two-bedroom place. 

It's odd, and doesn't seem to fit others impressions, but I've spent quite a lot of time driving in LA and while it is ubercongested, the drivers are far more civil there IMHO and will let you in and allow you to change lanes and such much more readily than in Texas.  Took my MIL to the Rose Bowl parade a couple of years ago and was staying with a friend in Hollywood.  Of course, it was a traffic nightmare but still civil.  Managed to survive...

Dave

Housing cost is sick.  I once spent a half-million on a large closet.  Since my divorce, i've been renting an apartment. $1856/month for a 980 sqft two-bedroom place. 

How do you guys afford it over there?  A lot of roommate arrangements? Extended family?