Opinions on using my two unused AVR channels

floaty83

So, here's my current setup:

Onkyo TX-NR545 AVR

Klipsch R-15Ms for front L&R

Klipsch R-25C Center

Klipsch R-12SW Sub

Klipsch R-14S Surrounds

I'm currently running the basic 5.1 setup with the above hardware and it sounds great. The TX-NR545 has two more unused channels I can use and I'm just curious what the opinions would be for my options. This AVR is only capable of around 45W/channel when all 7 channels are running so I don't want to get anything huge. The options I'm weighing are:

Getting new RP-250F floorstandings for front L&R and bi-amping them and moving the R-15Ms to the surround positions.

or

Getting a new pair of RP-140SAs and going with an Atmos 5.1.2 setup

or

Getting a new pair of RP-150Ms for front L & R, moving the R-15Ms to the side surrounds, and moving the R-14Ss to the rear surrounds for a 7.1 setup. 

Decisions, Decisions. Thanks everyone!

I'm going to use mine to pump sound into a nearby patio space. 

I am of the opinion that 5 carefully placed speakers can deliver a more satisfying surround experience than 7 moderately - correctly placed ones ( too many times see speaker just jammed into a room, not that any of us would do that).   And I'm more than please with my current setup and can't imagine where I'd put the other speakers. 

That being said, it would be infinitely more helpful if we could study your situation in regards to photos/diagram of your current and proposed setups. A buddy recently did this on a FB local sound guys forum and I convinced him to rotate his entire room 90 degrees instead of building an additional wall for his front setup, and his surround field is so much better now than what it would have been. Sometimes you need to turn the room on it's end ya know? 

• Like 1

If the avr can handle Atmos, 2 ceiling speakers and call it a day.  Either way, sticking with small surround type speakers will help in the power department.  They will provide ambience and don't use as much power in that role.  Space and placement are a problem looking at the room.  Maybe a second sub down the road.  An all bookself style HT can sound fantastic and large towers are not necessarily needed.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1