Why Tube Amplification Sounds Better

Wolfbane

Perhaps:

All perfect amps, let's says amps without distortion, do sound alike.

Amps with distortion sound different from amps without distortion.

Amps with good distortion sound different from amps with bad distortion.

We want to use amps with good distortion because K-Horns don't make enough good distortion. So we don't want to use perfect amps.

Okay. Now we got that straightened out.

Smile,

WMcD

Edited by WMcD
  • Like 1

"Because musical images are created entirely in our imaginations, what we think we are going to hear is often what we hear. This is why otherwise reasonable people think they hear huge differences in foolish (but high-profit) items like cables or power cords. Even though there is no real difference, they hear very real differences that just aren't there. The differences are very real in that listener's vivid imagination, but no where else."

Boy I like you...you just saved me a bunch of money. I'm selling everything and getting me a transistor radio...it all sounds the same...

• Like 3

"Because musical images are created entirely in our imaginations, what we think we are going to hear is often what we hear. This is why otherwise reasonable people think they hear huge differences in foolish (but high-profit) items like cables or power cords. Even though there is no real difference, they hear very real differences that just aren't there. The differences are very real in that listener's vivid imagination, but no where else."

Boy I like you...you just saved me a bunch of money. I'm selling everything and getting me a transistor radio...it all sounds the same...

Be sure to use an 8 awg power cord with the transistor radio, in order to get that chocolaty midrange.

• Like 1

I just found it ironic that they would write that in an article describing why something sounds better than something else is all, that's why I copied it word for word from the article itself and posted it here. :D

Edited by jjptkd

"So why tubes today?

Simple: because they sound better, and today our recordings and speakers are good enough that we finally can appreciate the subtly magical things they do for our music.

Today everything else in the chain is so transparent that one added layer of "tube sound" is just about perfect."

I love tubes, but this is patent nonsense.  Khorns have been around since 1946,  lps since early 1950's.  I guess we had to wait for digital downloads to get the transparency  we need to warrant the returns of tubes. Oh  yeah and we had to await until the 21st Century  to get more transparent speakers.

While he makes valid points, he's all over the map (I suspect but don't know) technically and very incautious in the conclusion he draws  from what he has learned. Or he's simply using tech-talk to support or somehow affirm the fact that he likes the sound of tubes.

• Like 1

Why I agree!!!!!!!

Actually, this particular type of discussion belongs more in 2 Channel than a section of the forum full of tubebies, or in my case, tubbies.

Big difference "Cost" using tubes for a Home Theater vs 2 Channel listening....I don't have a home theater....I have a TV that outputs through a pair of Audioengine 5 + speakers. My main 2 channel system for music reproduction is spectacular. :) :) :)

While he makes valid points, he's all over the map (I suspect but don't know) technically and very incautious in the conclusion he draws  from what he has learned. Or he's simply using tech-talk to support or somehow affirm the fact that he likes the sound of tubes.

I think he's just trying to be objective about his subjectivity, which is laudable IMO.  And frankly, he's being more honest with himself (and his readers) about tube amp behavior than some folks here seem to be in their posts, e.g. Craigs snarky (and off target) response to a brief summary of well supported aspects of human perception.

I just don't get the "head in the sand" denialist mentality.  Even with a preference for tube distortions, this still holds true:

"Music relates to emotion, but its reproduction (including the emotion impact) is as coldly scientific as any other physical science." -PWK

I like food cooked on a wood stove.  To me it just tastes better.

I like music played on Tube amplification.  To me it just Sounds Better.

That's all I know  and I suspect, all I need to know.   :D

• Like 3