Paint finish on Klipsch Pro speakers

babadono

For those of you who own Klipsch Pro(or Cinema) speakers. Is the paint finish smooth? If someone was crazy enough could you veneer over it pretty easily for a more home friendly version of the speaker? Or is the finish rough and would take a lot of prep work?

How about painting them some color you like?

Can do alot of creative things.

Take advantage of the fact the textured finish will hide "sins", just do basic prep and ROLL a suitable finish on..

That's what I'm doing on the grill panels of my double 15"s,painting just the fronts a secret color, leaving the rest black.

Very easy and cheeep.  Lars

Take advantage of the fact the textured finish will hide "sins", just do basic prep and ROLL a suitable finish on..

Texture will absolutely hide a lot of things, but if you are looking for smooth finish and decide to paint, I can tell you from the pair I sanded down that you can achieve that with reasonable effort also. 

• Like 1

If you decide to sand smooth, start on the  underside (bottom)

That way, if you run into any problem, like possibly sandpaper loading terribly, you can always change your mind with no loss.

Some paints are very difficult to sand.

And, of course, start painting a swatch on the underside, let it fully  dry, and check for adhesion and any other problem.   Lars

It's a 'pebble' paint finish achieved by splatter coating the speakers using a special nozzle, then a few coats of black. Marshal Groomlakearea51 has the exact recipe. 

If you wanted to sand them down for veneer to adhere, it would take considerable work with pretty coarse grade paper and even then you'd have the radius round-over corners to deal with. 

Edited by colterphoto1
  • Like 2

Automotive paints and primers can be used to achieve a finish that's more home friendly. Although one needs equipment and know-how to do it properly. The influx of China tools, paint guns and such make projects like this economically possible.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies... Splatter coated huh....wonder if Klipsch would consider selling them unfinished? I know that's how I got my Birch La Scalas some 39 years ago.

BTW I did see these: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/162739-great-pic-of-a-pro-lascala/

Disregard.

Edited by jason str

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...