Heresy capacitors

pat_in_dfw

I recently finished upgrading and restoring a pair of early Heresy I's and as part of that upgrade I replaced the caps.  They sounded great to me, but several members here said that replacing the caps was an essential part of the upgrade, so I did.  After I took out the old caps, I measured them.....and low and behold - they measured right where they should be.  Since I already had replaced the caps I left the new ones in.

Now I have a perfectly working pair of original Heresy caps for sale.  I'm asking $40 for all 4 caps.

Local pickup in Lewisville.  Shipping would be extra.

Text me at 214-783-4955

Patrick

post-62167-0-32960000-1458239322_thumb.j

post-62167-0-27160000-1458239329_thumb.j

post-62167-0-88440000-1458239336_thumb.j

post-62167-0-78880000-1458239347_thumb.j

Those do have the proper capacitance. There are other test that can be performed such as current leakage, ESR, and visual for oil leakage. In old electronics, some people prefer to reform caps as opposed to replacing them. That is done by slowly bringing the cap up to it's voltage over a period of time allowing the electrons or whatever to get realigned. Here is a nice thread from one of the guru's at Radio Museum, Emilio Ciardiello: 

Replacing old capacitors

This thread is aimed at active caps like electrolytics in tube radios and amps. In a passive application like a crossover, I don't know how this applies. I will say this, there is a group right here on the forum who is saying motor run caps are cheaper and better replacements for whatever reason. Those caps you are selling sure look like motor run caps to me.

GL with the sale. 

ESR is what gets you, in time, the caps develop more resistance, effectively turning the volume down every so slightly over time, on your mid and tweeter drivers. I've heard new caps described as 'taking a wool blanket off the speaker' and that's been my experience, even with less expensive Dayton caps from Parts Express. I'm not an esoteric kind of guy but I like for stuff to work as originally engineered. 

• Like 1