Is this a bad idea?

Che

I am cobbling together all of the electronics equipment that I have to put together a home theater.  I don't think these components go together particularly well, but maybe someone can shed some light.

Here is what I have:

1. Yamaha RX-V1800 7.1 A/V Receiver
  2. A pair  of La Scalas for the Front or 2-Mission 774 Floor standing Loudspeakers
  3. A pair of Klipsch RP160M for the rear
  4. Additional Surround options: 2-Bic Venturi V52 Surround Speakers or 2-Boston Acoustic CR55 Surround Speakers
  5. Klipsch Synergy C2 Center Speaker
  6. Velodyne CT-100 Powered Subwoofer

My problem is that my room is 11X20 and I want it to do double duty. The La Scalas currently are connected to a Marantz 2045 and a Music Hall MMF2.2 turntable which are located on the short far wall of the room.  The sweet spot for listening is right smack dab in the middle of my sofa about 10 feet away from the speakers or 12' away from the wall. So there isn't much room for additional speakers up front.  I could place Mission 774s in between the La Scalas just on the outside edge of the flat screen that is mounted directly on the wall. The receivers and turntable will go on a crazy stand that I am building just below the tv or at the back of the room behind the sofa. (I haven't decided yet.)

My preference would be to somehow use the La Scalas for the front (home theater) and for listening to vinyl.  Then I can use the Synergy C2 for the center and the Velodyne CT-00 sub. Finally the BA CR55s surround and the RP160s in the rear.

Thoughts?  Should I scrap the idea of using the La Scalas for the home theater front channel?
Would it be wrong to stand the 774s on top of the La Scalas (Maybe I can put some carpet in between)?<-- seems like a very bad idea.

• Like 1

Should I scrap the idea of using the La Scalas for the home theater front channel?

Is there any way you can get a third La Scala? That would be awesome. It's not that the La Scalas are a bad choice for this, it's that the Synergy center would sound horrid in between them. Upgrade your center if possible. Sell other stuff if need be.

Would it be wrong to stand the 774s on top of the La Scalas (Maybe I can put some carpet in between)?<-- seems like a very bad idea.

I don't see what the point would be. Put those in your bedroom or somewhere else for background music and whatnot.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I think for now I'll run the Yamaha receiver with the Rp 160m pair as the front, with the Velodyne sub and the BA as the rear. I have a BA sub and satellites that can also use.

Would a vintage Heresy be a decent choice for a center if I want to use the La Scalas in the front at some point?

• Like 1

I think for now I'll run the Yamaha receiver with the Rp 160m pair as the front, with the Velodyne sub and the BA as the rear. I have a BA sub and satellites that can also use.

Would a vintage Heresy be a decent choice for a center if I want to use the La Scalas in the front at some point?

• Like 1

IME a mismatched center is a constant annoyance. For me, on a relatively short 11' spread, a phantom center would be a better solution.

For a time, I had a LaScala between two Belles. Same drivers and networks. It was very noticeably different when sound panned across.

Now I have 3 LaScalas in the HT. It's wonderful. The Belles are now two channel in th LR.

• Like 1

IME a mismatched center is a constant annoyance. For me, on a relatively short 11' spread, a phantom center would be a better solution.

For a time, I had a LaScala between two Belles. Same drivers and networks. It was very noticeably different when sound panned across.

Now I have 3 LaScalas in the HT. It's wonderful. The Belles are now two channel in th LR.

• Like 1

Not currently. We moved to a new house in September and I have a ton of projects to do here. The theater room is down the priority list and pretty rough at this point. I'm just running 3.2 right now. I have all the parts for two more LaScalas (4 actually) so at some point I'll build some cabinets and go to 5.2, or hopefully 5.4 for good bass over a larger seating area.

Lots of folks on here much farther down the road with developing their HT than I that can provide greater insight. I just piped in on the timber issue due to my experience with trying different combinations of Heritage and a strong feeling that a matched L, C, R is ultimately the only satisfactory solution.

I think that it's best to, as best you can, determine where you want to end up and chart a course. Too many folks spend a lot of time and money wandering. Lots of good info here and elsewhere, the challenge is sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Enjoy the journey.

All my parts are old and of various age. My experience and conclusions are influenced by whatever that contributed. In my experiments, K55Vs and K55Ms were descernably different sounding when mixed in L C R, even when all speakers have the same networks. Even more so with the same drivers but mixed combinations of networks, type A, AB2/AL3, and Crites A4500.

I'm curious what others have experienced.

I also agree with Metro . Three LaScala's across the front would be awesome . Most mismatched systems suffer in my opinion But I did hear a system with LaScala fronts , A KLF-C7 center , Cornwall rears , and 2 KW-120 subs and it sounded great. So if you can't do a LaScala center my second choice would be a KLF-C7 . You might also consider an Academy center.

Is this a Bad Idea?

Everytime I see this I can see some guy about to do somthing Dumb and yelling Hey Ya All, Watch This!   :ph34r:

Sounds like you're about one LaScala short of 3 in the front and 2 in the back.

I'm no Home Theater guy, but with a sub it sounds like a good thing.  But I know nothing.  -_-

Ahunting I shall go. I saw a pair of the black pro variety in Dallas going for a reasonable price.  I wonder if they will still be around when I have the cheddar. Hmmm... maybe I will see if I can sell the dirtbike.

• Like 1

Yes, it is.  I have also reconfigured the crossover to match the Type AA crossovers in my La Scalas.  

I also used a KLF-C7 for a while.  The tonal match is not good, a Heresy is better. 

Edited by John Albright

How important is getting a same generation La Scala?

That's a good question. :blink2:

I don't think anybody's ever asked that before, at least not that's I've ever seen.

My left & right are a pair from 2002 with the AL-4 crossover and my center is from 1999 with the AL-3. If there's any difference (in pans across the front) during movies I can't hear it.

I've also never put them side by side and played test tones through them... So it's possible. My guess though, is if the levels are matched, it would be very difficult to tell them apart.

• Like 1