Emotiva XPA Gen3

fuzzydog

I am happy with my Gen 1 and Gen 2 X series equipment. 10% higher THD with the new X line has me leery. I know they are coming out with a new line to replace the U line gear and that may be worth a listen since it will be a lot more affordable. Bang for the buck I still feel it is hard to beat Emotiva.

Tim

Edited by teaman

Yeah, the prices are getting up there now. Part of it I am sure is because they are now going to sell in retail stores across the country. Once you add the middle man you have to give them their share, which drives margins way up. I just bought another XPA-5 in January and have not even opened the box yet. I had my E-Club expiring so taking the extra 10% off made it well worth it. $700 is fine with me, $1399 not so much.

Tim

In their description they are saying old PS with transformers are obsolete and a switching PS is an improvement. I am somewhat skeptical. I do know one thing a switching PS is much cheaper hench more profits. Maybe it will be good enough. 

My personal opinion is that the switching power supply will not be good enough. If you look at the new specs the power rating falls as channels are added. The same amp module rated at 300 wpc output with two channels drops to only 200 wpc output with seven modules installed. Since the amp modules are rated the same, they are in fact limited to less power output only because of the switching power supply. I will stick with my Gen 1 and Gen 2 amps until something proven to be better comes along.

Tim

Even though I have been very happy with "old technology" big toroidal, big caps, abundant output transistors, type amplifiers, these "newer" design switching amps are improving daily.

My personal opinion is that the switching power supply will not be good enough. If you look at the new specs the power rating falls as channels are added. The same amp module rated at 300 wpc output with two channels drops to only 200 wpc output with seven modules installed. Since the amp modules are rated the same, they are in fact limited to less power output only because of the switching power supply.

If all channels are designed to use the same power supply and it is not overly regulated, power per channel will drop off a good bit from 2-channel to 7-channel.  This is also common in non switching toroidal type amps.

The results are similar in both designs just the way they get there are different.

Not exactly sure that this is a good comparison to the EMO but take a look at these NAD M27 reviews.

http://hometheaterreview.com/nad-m27-seven-channel-amplifier-reviewed/

Looks like EMO is doing something similar to NAD's design.

Bill 

post-24680-0-44840000-1458409746_thumb.j

post-24680-0-74640000-1458409940.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...