Upgrading from RF-62ii

Fiveoh

Hey guys,

A friend of mine is interested in buying my RF-62ii which I love so I am debating on upgrading. I would really appreciate input. My current set up is RF-62ii, RC-62ii, RS-52ii, and an old Ephiphany subwoofer (which I plan on replacing eventually with a hsu vtf-15h mk2) and a Denon 4100w AVR. I know the sub needs to be replaced and I will do it eventually just want to do it right.

The current room is 19' wide X15' deep X8' tall and open to adjacent stairway and other rooms. Laminate floors and hard ceilings. Will eventually be moving it to the room next door when I get a projector that has no outside light, is an isolated room on a foundation wall, 20'-7" deep X 13' wide (projector screen wall) X 8'. Also hard ceilings and laminate floors.

What I am debating is do I upgrade to the RP-280F for roughly a $280 total premium after selling my RF-62ii. Or should I go ahead and try and find a deal on some RF-7ii?

My thought was the RP-280FA is almost as much as the RF-7ii so I would either do the RP-280F or jump up to the RF-7ii and maybe add ceiling speakers later for Atmos. Dealers on eBay are selling B stock packages of the RF-7ii with the RC-64 for a good price. Maybe I could sell my RC-62 (year old) for decent return to offset some of the cost.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Fiveoh

IMO, the RP-280's are a significant upgrade over previous generations.

The RF-7ii will definitely deliver larger sound and a superior midrange, but the RP-280 will sound a bit more refined and have superior imaging. The cabinet also sounds more transparent and bass extension is nearly on par with the RF-7ii.

If it were my money, I'd go with the 280.

• Like 1

Jump on those 83s, great speakers! The new premieres are better than my rf82iis but I would still have the 83s or 7s any day.

Thanks. I'm thinking about it.

Let me ask this. When you do move stuff over are you planning on doing an on wall screen or an acoustic transparent screen and do it right? As in right I mean three indentical speakers across the front.

Pardon the ignorance, I'm still learning. I understand what you mean by the transparent screen with speakers behind it. I don't fully understand the 3 identical setup (mine would just be 2 towers and a center). Are you saying something like 3 of the same towers?

Thanks. I didn't realize a tower would work better than a center channel if all 3 were the same.

Horizontal center speaker design is in existence for one reason only, to fit on a TV stand below TV or mounted above TV on a shelf or wall.

Three identical speakers in the same vertical or horizontal array is best for HT especially when you have an acoustic transparent screen.  The "compromise" comes in when your room is dual use like a family room and a projector/screen is not practical.

Bill

• Like 3

Thanks. I didn't realize a tower would work better than a center channel if all 3 were the same.

it works much better. There are no lobing or comb filtering issues you run into with horizontal speakers plus you get seamless panning across the front and perfect timbre match.

Here is the main reason I mention it. You can look at my signature below and probably have no clue what speakers I have without googling any of them. It's fine. I used to have a top of the line rf-63 home theater and saw signatures like mine and had to do the same. Google all of it. Well after owing reference, reference premiere, thx ultra 2, palladium, and cinema, I have no problem saying cinema is where it's at. Best speakers Klipsch makes. Period. You wanna upgrade right. While I think the rf-7ii will be an upgrade for you (I'm not a fan of the way they sound) I oereonally (and I've owned them) don't think the RP-280's would be a big upgrade. Small yes but not big. How much money did you say it would cost you to go up to the 280's? And how much money to the 7ii's and 64ii? Reason I ask is because I try to justify how much on spending on that last percentage I'm chasing. You yourself said your rf-62ii's sound great if I remember from the first post. If you were ever gonna look into a at screen I highly suggest looking into something like the kpt-325. Kind of a Cornwall foot print but not as deep. At only 12" you get a front ported cabinet which means you can scoot them up against the wall. You get the FANTASTIC 510 horn with the b&c de-750 compression driver (300$ by it self. Doubt the entire component set of a 280 tower even cost that much) and a single 15" pro woofer. What you get with the cinema line is performance. You are paying around 1100 each if I remember right for performance. Not a penny for looks. Kind of why old stereo gear sounds so damn good. They cared about performance and nothing else. If you want please send me your email in a message and I can send you a price sheet on the cinema line. And also please click on my signature below to see my build thread. My room is 12 foot wide and deep like yours. The front 24" roughly is a wall with everything house behind it. Very clean look and lots of horse power back there. You could have three kpt-325 behind there and the wall would only need to be deep at the hsu sub you plan to buy. It's also front ported. Just makes sense to me. And trust me ALL your friends will be jealous the cinema line up is night and day above the reference gear.

• Like 1

it works much better. There are no lobing or comb filtering issues you run into with horizontal speakers plus you get seamless panning across the front and perfect timbre match.

Here is the main reason I mention it. You can look at my signature below and probably have no clue what speakers I have without googling any of them. It's fine. I used to have a top of the line rf-63 home theater and saw signatures like mine and had to do the same. Google all of it. Well after owing reference, reference premiere, thx ultra 2, palladium, and cinema, I have no problem saying cinema is where it's at. Best speakers Klipsch makes. Period. You wanna upgrade right. While I think the rf-7ii will be an upgrade for you (I'm not a fan of the way they sound) I oereonally (and I've owned them) don't think the RP-280's would be a big upgrade. Small yes but not big. How much money did you say it would cost you to go up to the 280's? And how much money to the 7ii's and 64ii? Reason I ask is because I try to justify how much on spending on that last percentage I'm chasing. You yourself said your rf-62ii's sound great if I remember from the first post. If you were ever gonna look into a at screen I highly suggest looking into something like the kpt-325. Kind of a Cornwall foot print but not as deep. At only 12" you get a front ported cabinet which means you can scoot them up against the wall. You get the FANTASTIC 510 horn with the b&c de-750 compression driver (300$ by it self. Doubt the entire component set of a 280 tower even cost that much) and a single 15" pro woofer. What you get with the cinema line is performance. You are paying around 1100 each if I remember right for performance. Not a penny for looks. Kind of why old stereo gear sounds so damn good. They cared about performance and nothing else. If you want please send me your email in a message and I can send you a price sheet on the cinema line. And also please click on my signature below to see my build thread. My room is 12 foot wide and deep like yours. The front 24" roughly is a wall with everything house behind it. Very clean look and lots of horse power back there. You could have three kpt-325 behind there and the wall would only need to be deep at the hsu sub you plan to buy. It's also front ported. Just makes sense to me. And trust me ALL your friends will be jealous the cinema line up is night and day above the reference gear.

Thanks for the great info! I'm seeing how dangerous these threads are by opening up worlds I didn't know existed.

The RP-280s would be roughly a $250-$280 premium if I sell me RF-62iis to my buddy. The HSU sub is $1,043 delivered.

Haven't asked for a quote yet on 2 RF-7ii and a RC-64 but from the input I have received that would be anywhere from a $1,500-$2,000 premium. No sub, and just 2 instead of 3 of the same as you described above. I wasn't planning on spending a bunch on my speakers at this time. A friend was about to buy a lower level Klipsch so I thought about selling him mine and upgrading. Then that opened up the discussion if it's worth doing that if the end game is the RF-7iis.

I want to get a projector later this year and know that's going to set me back quite a bit. I saw the JVC 550r next to the Epson5030ub and the JVC ruined me. Much better pic IMO but double the cost.

Your theatre build is incredible! I definitely have not heard about the cinema line but I believe you having owned all of them. I wish I had the funds to do that but mine will likely be much smaller scale.

3 identical floorstanding speakers will be the best match across the front three if you can do it.

38957734005_large.jpg

not sure if this is your setup or not but this was one of the images that inspired me to try three identical speakers across the front.

Very cool!  Yep, that's my setup, however, I will be moving here soon and will lose the theater (keeping my speakers) and not likely to do another only because I'm more of a music person.

You say you don't have the funds. What were you quoted on a set of the 280's? And the rf-7ii? Retail on the rf-7ii is 500$ more PER SPEAKER than the kpt-325. Where are you located at? Wonder if there is a member within a couple hours from you that has some of the big Klipsch.

You say you don't have the funds. What were you quoted on a set of the 280's? And the rf-7ii? Retail on the rf-7ii is 500$ more PER SPEAKER than the kpt-325. Where are you located at? Wonder if there is a member within a couple hours from you that has some of the big Klipsch.

$879.

RF-7iis would be B stock. $2700 on eBay for 2 plus the RC-64ii. But I've heard much less calling to dealer. Just haven't done it yet.

Woodstock, GA

Buying good quality used speakers is what most if not everybody here does at least from what I've seen.  you need to forget about having to have them be new, and instead consider what you can get when buying used.   You are in control, you get exactly the quality level you want.

I get the sense you are only thinking about new....that is a mistake honestly.   Moving up from 2 6-1/2" drivers to 2-8" drivers will be nice but won't blow you away.  But moving up to those RF83s with 3 -8" drivers, or RF7s with 2-10" drivers....yeah, that's a big big change.

Having heard the 62s very recently I suggest making a jump past the 280s to a higher level speaker...which is of course up to you.  But used you can get RF7s and a sub.

Same goes for the sub.  I saw an HSU in my area VTF-15H (older model) offered on craigslist for $600.  Right now someone else is selling a HSU VTF-15 MK2 (latest model) and asking price is $800 -- meaning you can get it lower.

Once that used speaker is in your house and working fine...it's the same as if you bought it.   Because the minute you buy it...it's used.  Think about this and a world of options opens up to you.