I was stupid enough to click on this nonsense.

jason str

Not sure what you mean by "sub par" when talking about $180/pr towers, but for the price, those Pioneers are a killer deal. I demo'd those towers and owned the bookshelf version. They're wonderful.

I can certainly imagine that receiver being crap though.

• Like 2

What did you not like about the TX-8020? Sure, the tuner is almost an afterthought, but aren't they all? The amplifier is decent - flat response, decent THD +N (<.03% @ 25Wpc; <.08% @ 50Wpc - both channels driven), high SNR on Aux/CD (>100dB), phono preamp, L+R unfiltered subwoofer out, etc. It could use a higher damping and more uF in it's PS, but it isn't a bad deal at it's price. Mine - and it's C-7030 CDP - were my office stereo basics driving a pair of NHT S1 2.1's and a JBL SUB 550P for a year before being transferred to my upstairs hobby room, where it's remote control can be appreciated. I did replace the combo with an Emotiva mini-X a-100 (50 Wpc @ 8 Ohms) and another C-7030 CDP on my desk as my office CD music-only stereo basics - driving my new pair of RB-81ii's - since last Nov. The Onkyo pair was faultless in fifteen months of daily office use and continues on driving the NHT's or a pair of R-15M's in my hobby room. Perhaps you taxed it's 50Wpc output? Oh... I didn't buy a second TX-8020 becasue the availability was down while prices had crept up - and the Emo amp was available and sale priced ($149!). It was perfect for my office needs.

It's all about synergy and the duties we ask of our gear.

What did you not like about the TX-8020?

I have not owned or heard the 8020 but most of what I heard/read was not favorable.  Now the 8050 is a different story and clearly a more refined piece than the 8020.  I know of someone who had the 8020 and did not like it at all so he returned it for the 8050 and said it was almost night and day better in all areas.  I too am very very happy with my Integra version of the 8050 which is the DTM-40.4.

Bill

• Like 1

What did you not like about the TX-8020? Sure, the tuner is almost an afterthought, but aren't they all? The amplifier is decent - flat response, decent THD +N (<.03% @ 25Wpc; <.08% @ 50Wpc - both channels driven), high SNR on Aux/CD (>100dB), phono preamp, L+R unfiltered subwoofer out, etc. It could use a higher damping and more uF in it's PS, but it isn't a bad deal at it's price. Mine - and it's C-7030 CDP - were my office stereo basics driving a pair of NHT S1 2.1's and a JBL SUB 550P for a year before being transferred to my upstairs hobby room, where it's remote control can be appreciated. I did replace the combo with an Emotiva mini-X a-100 (50 Wpc @ 8 Ohms) and another C-7030 CDP on my desk as my office CD music-only stereo basics - driving my new pair of RB-81ii's - since last Nov. The Onkyo pair was faultless in fifteen months of daily office use and continues on driving the NHT's or a pair of R-15M's in my hobby room. Perhaps you taxed it's 50Wpc output? Oh... I didn't buy a second TX-8020 becasue the availability was down while prices had crept up - and the Emo amp was available and sale priced ($149!). It was perfect for my office needs.

Dull and lifeless would be how i would describe it.

Replaced an old Denon that crapped out, speakers were a set of Klipsch Forte.

Thought my old KG-4's blew them out of the water.

Could be because of the crappy receivers at Best Buy but i was not very impressed myself.

I would expect the KG-4s to blow them out of the water.  

KG4 I think were 800.00 a pair in 1984?  This around 1,700 today.

So you are comparing a $1,700 pair of speakers to $180.00 a pair.  Ten times more cost.

They probably don't sound $1,500 better than the Pioneers.

Could be because of the crappy receivers at Best Buy but i was not very impressed myself.

So you are comparing a $1,700 pair of speakers to $180.00 a pair.  Ten times more cost.

To be fair i wanted to compare a set of 2 ways in the same current ballpark value and something most here could relate the sound against in comparison.

Keep in mind these are old KG-4's and need not only a crossover update but the rubber woofer surrounds have hardened up, both issues due to age making the whole speaker sound much worse than a brand new pair.

Sub par Pioneer towers mentioned here as well.

I listened to a pair once at Best Buy magnolia. Music sounded like it was coming from under water.

Sounds like heavy digital compression to me. Sad that a Magnolia would demo speakers that way.

To be fair i wanted to compare a set of 2 ways in the same current ballpark value and something most here could relate the sound against in comparison.

Keep in mind these are old KG-4's and need not only a crossover update but the rubber woofer surrounds have hardened up, both issues due to age making the whole speaker sound much worse than a brand new pair.

Those old KG-4s are one of the best do all speakers ever made.  I have a set.   I did the cross over and tweeter update too.  It did not make much of a difference, maybe my KGs did not diminish much vs original dunno.

• Like 1

Best in the KG lineup in my opinion, i have had a few sets.

Lots of better options in the Klipsch lineup to choose from.

If your KG-4's were working fine they may not have needed attention in the first place.

My set will eventually get new woofers and capacitors that are badly in need of replacement but right now i have many other things on my plate of higher priority.

If you like your KG-4's you have to check out a pair of Klipsch Forte II.

Who makes a silver faced stereo receiver (and CD player) these days.  Or do I have to go find an old 70's model.  A Marantz 2250 would be pretty cool, if it's not $400. 

Yamaha does.  Not a stereo receiver but an integrated amp.

501700s-500x370.jpg

Bill

• Like 1

I bought the Yamaha A-S301 black and could not be happier. Connected them to the JBL L80T and will get the A-S501 for my new RP-280F still in the box. Or most likely connect vice versa. I hear sounds from the music I know and never heard before.

Edited by dncdesign

Sub par Pioneer towers mentioned here as well.

I listened to a pair once at Best Buy magnolia. Music sounded like it was coming from under water.

Sounds like heavy digital compression to me. Sad that a Magnolia would demo speakers that way.

You never know how the Magnolia goons have them set up. I don't think it's really possible to demo speakers in a setting like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Best in the KG lineup in my opinion, i have had a few sets.

Lots of better options in the Klipsch lineup to choose from.

If your KG-4's were working fine they may not have needed attention in the first place.

My set will eventually get new woofers and capacitors that are badly in need of replacement but right now i have many other things on my plate of higher priority.

If you like your KG-4's you have to check out a pair of Klipsch Forte II.

I have the KG-4s and a pair of Chorus I's (with crites mids + tweets + port tubes)  The chorus are great for high volume music,  really enveloping and smooth never sound strained.

I have not heard Forte Is or IIs.   They look like a big version of the KG4.   

If I ever get away from my puny aircraft aluminum Def Tech HT speakers (Wife loves them)   I would like to to have chorus as fronts KG4s as rears and a big klipsh center + by big SVS sub.    That would shake things up.