RF-83's vs. KLF-30's vs RF-7 II's

jayu969

Morning all,

I bought a pair of RF-83's a month ago and DO like the way they sound however I have heard really good things about KLF-30's and also the RF-7 II's.

I know this is bit of a subjective question however would appreciate forum members feedback on comparisons if you have heard the above speakers.

Ultimately I am trying to decide if it is worth selling off my RF-83's (which are currently up for sale) and purchasing either KLF-30's for RF-7 II's.

Thanks,

Jay

you need to find a set of each of the other two loudspeakers that you are interested in (and others as well) and go have a listen. Even better to purchase then live with them in your room with your own gear then you can form a real opinion. No offense intended but asking others is not really going to help you because it is your opinion that matters.

From a practical point of view the KLF 20/30 can be a can of worms if they have baffle issues as very many did. Further the shiny black poly tweeter diaphragm installed stock in the KLF20/30 K79 tweeter are probably as bad sounding a diaphragm as there is so they need to be replaced (the Crites ti diaphragms are excellent). The mid horn in the KLF20/30 is a little larger than that used in the RF83 so you might like that. The RF7 ll is going to push more air than an RF83 but not as much as a KLF30 will, I think the horn ion the RF7 is a little bit larger than the RF83 but if it is it won't be by much but that is still a plus. After all the reading and opinions you still need to listen for yourself and the best place to do that in in your home so you are back at the beginning. Find some and listen to them.

you need to find a set of each of the other two loudspeakers that you are interested in (and others as well) and go have a listen. Even better to purchase then live with them in your room with your own gear then you can form a real opinion. No offense intended but asking others is not really going to help you because it is your opinion that matters.

From a practical point of view the KLF 20/30 can be a can of worms if they have baffle issues as very many did. Further the shiny black poly tweeter diaphragm installed stock in the KLF20/30 K79 tweeter are probably as bad sounding a diaphragm as there is so they need to be replaced (the Crites ti diaphragms are excellent). The mid horn in the KLF20/30 is a little larger than that used in the RF83 so you might like that. The RF7 ll is going to push more air than an RF83 but not as much as a KLF30 will, I think the horn ion the RF7 is a little bit larger than the RF83 but if it is it won't be by much but that is still a plus. After all the reading and opinions you still need to listen for yourself and the best place to do that in in your home so you are back at the beginning. Find some and listen to them.

All what Moray said. ;)

Just a little tiny subjective descriptions of each speaker mentioned from brief experience and other opinions.

KLF-30-----big sound, big low thump, forward midrange

RF-83------big sound, refinement, control

RF-7II------big sound, low thump, crispy highs(good thing IMO)

Maybe Youthman can give a more detailed comparison of the three.

As mentioned, you really need to do your own A-B-C comparison.

Bill

Certainly testing all 3 in my listening area is best...no question.  That is not practical financially to have all 3 at one time.  That said I do have some people locally who have contacted me about there KLF-30's.  Since that is a lower cost option than the RF-7 II's I may be able to swing buying the KLF-30's and comparing them directly to the RF-83's and then selling whichever is like less.

Even though it is "reference info" I would still appreciate other members experiences.

From my  experience with these speakers, if you're mostly into HT you could go either way but the Reference speakers may have the edge. If you're mostly into two-channel playback, definitely go with the KLF's. However, for them to play at their full potential be prepared to replace the tweeter and midrange diaphrams, x-overs and deal with any loose cabinet issues.

• Like 1

For 2ch, the KLF-30s would be my pick.

The two Reference models are only a half step behind.

Switching from the 83s to the RF-7ii's is pretty much a lateral move, though the voicing is noticeably different between them with the 83s sounding a bit smoother and more relaxed.

• Moderators

You can't go wrong with any of those three speakers.  I've owned all 3 and enjoyed them each.  I think your thought of buying KLF-30's and A/B them with the 83's is a great way to go.  That way you can know in your own home, in your own setup which sound your ears prefer.  Then if a great deal comes along for a pair of RF-7ii, maybe you can buy them and A/B to see which you prefer again.

KLF-30's have some AMAZING slam.  Dual 12" woofers will absolutely pound your chest. 

RF-83's have a very smooth, laid back sound (not your typical in your face Klipsch sound).

RF-7ii are very detailed, brighter than RF-83. 

Both RF-7ii and RF-83 have almost identical bass response.  The KLF-30's have a bit more but as mentioned, you may need to reinforce the cabinet due to rattles.

I agree with matt, the "voicing is noticeably different between them with the 83s sounding a bit smoother and more relaxed".  Very well said.

I am probably 75% movies, 25% music so when I had the KLF-30's, I wasn't doing any critical music listening although I did run some music through them.  Rock sounds AMAZING on them, especially when there is a solid kick drum in the mix.

b22401a6_Klipsch-KLF-30-Tall.jpeg

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-1.jpg

• Like 2

Absolutely agree on a/b/c-Ing speakers. I bought a pair that spec out better than my old ones, that I listened to before buying and was sure they were better. Then I brought them home and placed them where my old ones were, turned on Steely Dan, and was disappointed. I definitely like my old ones better.

Neither of them were any of the 3 models you are discussing here, just reinforcing the idea that it is 100% subjective. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

Edited by JoeDirt
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...

I have not tried the KLF-30 but have compared the RF-83 and RF-7II in both music and home theater. I would take the RF-83 any day of the week over the RF-7II.  It is smoother, has better midrange and more bass, and tighter bass. I would trade my set of Cherry RF-7II for a set of cherry RF-83's in a heartbeat. 

• 2 weeks later...