Any Opinions on the KLF-10?

japosey

I'm looking at putting together a KLF system and unfortunately, I've only been able to locate a pair of KLF-10's locally.  I will probably pick them up and try them out, but curious to know the opinion of those who may own or may have owned a pair in the past.  I'm pretty sure I would prefer a pair of 20's or 30's, but I just haven't found any yet.  I currently have the C7 with a Crites tweeter which will be used as the center and the speakers will be used 80-90% watching television.  Given their anticipated use, I'm kinda leaning towards the 10's for now.  If music was their intended use, I would probably continue searching for the 20's or 30's.

Edited by japosey

I actually have KLF10s, KLF20s, and KLF30s.  I really like the 10s.  I got the 20s about 6 months after I got the 10s, and it was a huge difference.  I got the 30s about a year after I got the 20s, and they are unbelievable.  If you don't A+B compare the 10s to 20s or 30s, they sound great.  When we A+B from the 30s down to the 20s, the 20s sound bad, same thing for the 20s down to the 10s.  If you can pick them up cheap enough, its a great buy.  I am using the 30s for my main fronts, the 10s for my sides, and my 20s are just picking up space.  My wife wont let me put the 20s on the sides and the 10s in the rears.  I just picked up the KLF-C7 yesterday, but I need to redo the front and rear panels (bad glue).  I can't wait to hear it with the 30s.  Good luck with your search.

I cannot recall what the mount style is on the horn of the KLF10 is but you might try experimenting with different drivers and see what you think. You can see by the very simple and clean crossover this loudspeaker is inexpensive to upgrade and will show significant improvement. A lot of potential i this model.

Klipsch KLF 10 crossovers.pdf

Edited by moray james

I have the 10 s, they are great speakers. The 20 s and 30 s are better. If you can get them for a good price ,get them.You can update them with new tweeters from bob crites. Ive had mine for 15 years,still sound awesome, never did a thing to them .

Interesting, isn't it?  Such different answers to the one question.  And all of them "right"--at least well-intentioned, (mostly) from personal experience, and without too much definition of what is meant by the terms used to describe.

So, my own answer follows suit.  I have had the 30s, 20s, and 10s, all owned simultaneously.  Used in HT and "critical" music modes.  Admission--am more "mature" at age 70, so my hearing has declined significantly--what the heck, GONE, above about 12Khz.  But what I can hear, I can hear very well.

As I personally love big and full and rich sound, I am thrilled by the quality of sound produced by all 3 speakers.  As "better" and price-points and 2-way vs 3-way are all individual preferences, the unquantified/non-numerical assessment I have is that all 3 sound wonderful, and do wonders for those who like towers. 

Am sure there are many who know much more about the subject, and who have actual experience with the similarities and differences.  And I am also sure that a few of these actually can discern some significant differences. To them, and for all who want to know more and experience more, thank you for detailing the specifics that help others--like me--learn more what I am hearing, and what I "should" be listening for. 

I have the 10 s, they are great speakers. The 20 s and 30 s are better. If you can get them for a good price ,get them.You can update them with new tweeters from bob crites. Ive had mine for 15 years,still sound awesome, never did a thing to them .

Welcome, Tom,

Like you, I never did a thing to mine, either.  No doubt, many of the comments about improvements/mods made to the KLF speakers reflect real, as well as perceived, differences.

One question I have never resolved in my mind is when all the changing of the internals, electronics, damping, and on and on actually move the speaker out of the range to be considered "Klipsch" anymore.

• Like 1