402 Price?

HPower

I have a line on a pair of brand new 402s, what would be a good… and fair price?

If I go for them, I would plan on probably put together a JubScala set up, at least until I felt I had the time

and skill to build a pair of Jubilee bass bins.

• Like 1

Tough question.  I'd first offer replacement cost from Klipsch--$285 each, delivered to your doorstep. 

Chris

• Like 1

Chris, 

That is the replacement price, but we all know that no one can actually get them for that price.

The real cost is about a grand, but that gets you a decent (but not great) driver and a stand. 

Personally, If I were to buy a K-402, I would pair it with a Jubilee bass bin. I would certainly not pair it with a Cornwall bass bin. K-402s are special and need to be combined with a horn loaded bass bin. 

• Like 2

Chris, 

That is the replacement price, but we all know that no one can actually get them for that price.

The real cost is about a grand, but that gets you a decent (but not great) driver and a stand. 

Personally, If I were to buy a K-402, I would pair it with a Jubilee bass bin. I would certainly not pair it with a Cornwall bass bin. K-402s are special and need to be combined with a horn loaded bass bin. 

I have a pair of K402s and 510s on a pair of DBB (double cornwall) *** bins with ALK ESNs and driven with a Peach and VRDs.  You do not need a horn loaded bass bin to use 402s/510s.  Even Klipsch offers systems similar to this in the cinema line.

What is definitely required is a method to EQ the K402 horn.  That is the only requirement.

Heck............Chris uses the K402 with NO bass bin.

I bet the stock xo would work...

No, the stock La Scala network would not work with a K-402 on top. The sensitivities are not the same. Also, the K-402 is a CD horn and requires a top end boost.

I see... :thumbsup:

Chris, 

I have a pair of K402s and 510s on a pair of DBB (double cornwall) *** bins with ALK ESNs and driven with a Peach and VRDs.  You do not need a horn loaded bass bin to use 402s/510s.  Even Klipsch offers systems similar to this in the cinema line.

What is definitely required is a method to EQ the K402 horn.  That is the only requirement.

Mark: I understand that there are factory offerings that are not horn loaded bass bins.

However, there is something wonderful about a horn loaded bass bin that DR cabinets can't seem to do. It comes down to preferences and I prefer a K-402 on top of a horn loaded bass bin. It is quite a combination.

:D

You should hear it.  :emotion-29:... :)

Actually, I'm beginning to believe that the biggest issue is not direct radiator bass bins in general---but rather vented (reflex) ones.   I've never liked the sound of a ported cabinet.

The New Center maintains reduced cone motion due to horn loading to a very low frequency, much lower than 175 Hz, then like the 32 Hz Jub bass boost, it slowly turns into a direct radiator--with two 15" woofers in a sealed box.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Chris, 

Mark: I understand that there are factory offerings that are not horn loaded bass bins.

However, there is something wonderful about a horn loaded bass bin that DR cabinets can't seem to do. It comes down to preferences and I prefer a K-402 on top of a horn loaded bass bin. It is quite a combination.

Abosolutely, to each his own.  Lots of ways to skin the cat and enjoy.

For the OP, the point to make is that the price for the 402 (and 510) are not cheap.  However, if that's where you are headed it would most likely be the cheapest solution in the long run.  I say this because you will probably keep spending money until you get eventually get them.  Once you have them you will stop the spending.  They are the top.  You won't feel the need after that.

• Like 1

Reflex cabinet can sound great if done right....whether K402 is on there or not.

K402 is top of the line Klipsch product IMO.  Requires end user setup skills though.  Not plug and play.

• Like 1

Just as a point of departure in our listening preferences: the day we shared listening to vented boxes (among other configurations), I really didn't like the sound of any of them.  Flabby but powerful would be my descriptors...even the 4x15". 

The Jub bass bin sounds, well, correct...to my ears.  So does the New Center (i.e., the K-402-based multiple entry horn)--the same way but much better midbass (100-400 Hz) and much more cohesive.

Chris

Edited by Chris A