Forte as a center

Loudogp250

This hobby is wonderful but seems to never stop. After buying a new receiver and turntable. Going from new caps to entirely new crossovers I can say I love the sound my system produces. Now my center channel works but seems very inadequate (KV3 with Ti diaphram). I have been playing with the idea of taking a K-75-k & a K-53-K with two 8 inch woofers, building a box, and using a Bob Crites crossover. What does everyone think? 

Sounds interesting enough.. Have you ever tried a RC-7 before? I think they work great with the Chorus / Forte speakers and are one hell of a center speaker, would have no problem leaving the KV-3 in the dust.

Jesse

Sounds interesting enough.. Have you ever tried a RC-7 before? I think they work great with the Chorus / Forte speakers and are one hell of a center speaker, would have no problem leaving the KV-3 in the dust.

Jesse

I have never heard a RC7. I saw one in the garage section.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

They're my personal favorite center speaker and they can be had for as little as $300, sometimes less. Since you're thinking dual 8's anyway I'd say no sense in trying to reinvent the wheel (unless for fun) as Klipsch really knocked it out of the park with this one.

They're my personal favorite center speaker and they can be had for as little as $300, sometimes less. Since you're thinking dual 8's anyway I'd say no sense in trying to reinvent the wheel (unless for fun) as Klipsch really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Thanks jjptkd, I will look into it. I want a center channel that will fill a fairly large room.

• Moderators

For me the perfect match was another Forte ll, using parts from one for a center would not make it much smaller at all. 

Center for an all forte ht (6.1), it works great even in a wide room 24', the mains are on the side walls. Rear 3 are hidden in that pic, there above the sofa behind that beam on an angle downward. Sub is a spud all the way along the right wall behind other speakers.

post-9700-0-29340000-1458768235_thumb.jp

post-9700-0-96020000-1458768257_thumb.jp

• Like 3

If you are trying to match a center channel to a pair of Forte I, then the best thing you can put there is another Forte I.  The Academy is the better match to the Forte I and Chorus I.  KLF-C7 is closest to the Forte II and Chorus II, but a Quartet or another Forte II is best.  The Academy and KLF-C7 both have 8" woofers.

The RC-7 is a great center, but it's from a completely different and much newer model line.

Get what sounds best to your ears in your room.

• Like 1

For me the perfect match was another Forte ll, using parts from one for a center would not make it much smaller at all.

Center for an all forte ht (6.1), it works great even in a wide room 24', the mains are on the side walls. Rear 3 are hidden in that pic, there above the sofa behind that beam on an angle downward. Sub is a spud all the way along the right wall behind other speakers.

This looks great. My ceilings are 8ft high and with a 120in screen I don't have much space between the bottom of the screen and the floor. A compromise could be a smaller screen.... Maybe.

• Moderators

:o That sounds pretty serious, do you have room behind the screen for a forte, if so you could turn it upside down so the two horns could shoot out from under the screen,I doubt the woofer would matter behind the screen ?

:o That sounds pretty serious, do you have room behind the screen for a forte, if so you could turn it upside down so the two horns could shoot out from under the screen,I doubt the woofer would matter behind the screen ?

The screen is permanent. The room is a dedicated Theater that also substitues as my music area. I actually listen to music more than I watch movies. I layed one forte on its side. Looks like it could work.

Why do people insist on recommending the WRONG timbre' matched center to people.  Leave the RC-7 for people with the Reference series line of speakers.  Unless you are tone deaf and a seamless front sound stage is not important to you.

• Moderators

Why do people insist on recommending the WRONG timbre' matched center to people.  Leave the RC-7 for people with the Reference series line of speakers.  Unless you are tone deaf and a seamless front sound stage is not important to you.

? Even my old ears can hear a difference

And even worse, tiny centers that can't keep up with mains, why bother, your dragging down the performance of the mains to what the center can do. Do phantom mode instead.  

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

at this point.. not many... the impedance curves for the K22 is very different than the alpha 8A

I may just use the heresy as is, but a slimmer  but longer cabinet... mount the Mid and Tweet horizontal   (aka  a vertical heresy on its side)