Oppo 103D

vandec54

I've requested info on Blu Ray players/Universal Disc players from Klipsch Nation before, I have received outstanding info and have done some research....

I am 90% sure I'm going to purchase the Oppo 103D, which is at the top of my price range.

My 10% concerns are "future proof" related, I don't want to make another disc player purchase for another 5+ years.

I don't currently have a 4k TV, but would love to get one in the event one of my current models quits.  

I know the 103 doesn't support 4k, but does it matter???

Please respond to why or why not I should make the purchase.

Thank you

I emailed Oppo a few weeks ago, because of the same reason (future proofing, or close to it). I asked about their 4K player plans and was told they plan to have something out this fall in the same price range as their current players.

So I figured it would be worth it to wait and get a player from them, and I'd be good to go for the foreseeable future... mainly because my next upgrade (video wise), if I could make it happen, would be to a 4K projector. But that would still be a few years away. So in the meantime I'd have every disc based format covered.

And they answered my email in less than 2 hours. Don't know any other company (except for SVS) that replies that quickly.

If you want to future proof, I'd second waiting if Oppo is indeed planning on releasing new models in the fall. However, I will say that I do not see the attraction to 4K in normal home viewing settings. Most screens need to be huge in order to notice a difference between 1080p and 4K, and most configurations just do not account for that. A projector is one thing, an actual screen is another.

The 103 IS NOT future proof... but it is a fantastic player.

You'll not only want a 4k capable player, you'll want one that can digest HDR and that will have later HDMI specifications...

Edited by Schu

I've requested info on Blu Ray players/Universal Disc players from Klipsch Nation before, I have received outstanding info and have done some research....

I am 90% sure I'm going to purchase the Oppo 103D, which is at the top of my price range.

My 10% concerns are "future proof" related, I don't want to make another disc player purchase for another 5+ years.

I don't currently have a 4k TV, but would love to get one in the event one of my current models quits.  

I know the 103 doesn't support 4k, but does it matter???

Please respond to why or why not I should make the purchase.

Thank you

Wait till the 4k player is released from Oppo I will be buying one as soon as they are released   , right now I have a Samsung 4K Player but they are also $400.00 at this time till Oppo

Edited by A1UC

• 2 weeks later...