The All But Forgotten Klipsch KSP 300

ka7niq

I have never heard the RF 5's. I have had zero problems with the KSP 300's amplifiers, and what impresses me so much about them is both the KSP 400 and the KSP 300 each have a different matching center channel speaker! The KSP 300 sounds like no other Klipsch I have ever owned. It is warm and rich sounding, and smooth as butter. An ideal dual purpose movies and music speaker. A far far cry from the cheap Synergy series of today. I was not happy to see Klipsch get sold, especially to Voxx :( 

I was not happy to see Klipsch get sold, especially to Voxx

You're not alone in that sentiment.

It also has pissed me off that Klipsch no longer has the specs for their older stuff, on the website :(

It'll be back but I have no idea when.  I don't believe there's anything nefarious going on rather a technical snafu.  That being said, it's been down longer than I thought it would have been.

If you need specs for the KSP series I might be able to help. I have some literature for the series if you want a copy.

Keith

Thanks Keith, but I actually bought the original sales literature  for the KSP 300 and KSP 400 series off of Ebay.  It is obvious that Klipsch put a lot of engineering time into these speakers. I wonder why they were discontinued ? 

Few people have ever seen, much less heard, speakers from the Klipsch Synergy Premiere line. Because of that you often read comments from people that have never seen or heard them. Usually, people just parrot what they have read or heard what other people have said that also have never seen or heard them.

I bought 7 KSP-300's 15 years ago from 2 dealers. One dealer threw in the odd speaker when I bought 2 pair because they couldn't find the matching speaker. I've never had any issues with any of those speakers.

After a few years of casual looking I bought a pair of KSP-400's from a guy in a neighboring state. The KSP-400's offer a lot more of what you get from the KSP-300's. LOTS more.

As you mentioned, to my ears, the KSP speakers are less fatiguing than other Klipsch speakers I have owned. In fact, their sound can be somewhat altered easily by use of different amplifiers/recievers. For example, years ago when I read the Technics line was about to be dropped I bought a A/V receiver. It gave a slightly brighter sound to the speakers. Close to that of Chorus II's that I then owned.

Find a pair of KSP-400's if you can. They give pounding bass. More than you'll probably need. The amps can be repaired cheaply and last as long a most amps/AV receivers out there. And they will not be fatiguing to listen to at loud volumes.

I'm tired of typing now.

Keith

• Like 1

If you need specs for the KSP series I might be able to help. I have some literature for the series if you want a copy.

Keith

Thanks Keith, but I actually bought the original sales literature  for the KSP 300 and KSP 400 series off of Ebay.  It is obvious that Klipsch put a lot of engineering time into these speakers. I wonder why they were discontinued ? 

Who knows. The KSP's retailed for around $3450 & $1995. That was pretty costly back then. Hookup could be complicated as there were lots of options.

Someone has made a fortune selling high priced free literature over the years. If I was a little more chicken-schit I might sell some of what I have. But I give it away.

Enjoy your speakers.

K.

• Like 2

What area of which country do you live in?

Keith

The Tampa Florida area, in a suburb called Brandon Florida. I guess there is a moderator on the forum called Youthman who lives just east of me, in Plant City Florida. I see him selling stuff on Craigslist all the time, as he changes speakers, upgrades, etc. But I don't know him personally.

I have always like the look of the KSP speakers but, I have not had the pleasure of hearing any.  From reading the review, they were a high end Synergy speakers.

They are warm and musical, vs bright and in your face. Like the review link I posted said "These are not your grandfather's Klipsch Speakers. There is also a notable lack of any Horn Coloration. They will not "romp and stomp" like some more efficient Klipsch speakers will, so if you want to make your ears bleed, these are not the best choice for that, though they will play plenty loud, and more importantly, sound good doing so. 

The Synergy Premier Line (Klipsch Synergy Premier) or simply KSP 300 really meant an American made premier speaker back then, a far cry from the Cheap Synergy Klipsch Speakers of today, made in China. 

I use Acurus amps to power my speakers, have never even used the Denon receiver (used as a preamp) amps with my KSP's. That said, the speakers will fill my very open room with well over 100 Dbs of clean sound, without any hint of distortion or otherwise. Even at high volume settings for extended periods they are not fatiguing.

When I began looking for something different around 2000 these speakers were already discontinued. I ran across a pair in a local dealer showroom and knew they were exactly the sound I was looking for. After that I slowly collected 3 1/2 pairs of KSP-300's, 4 pair of KSP-S6's, 2 KSP-C6's, a KSF-C5 and finally the KSP-400's.

I used the 400's as fronts, the C-6 center, 300's for side surrounds and S-6's for surround backs. The sound was overwhelming. Too much going on for me. I removed the S-6 surrounds and use a 5.1 setup. I gave away and sold the rest a few years later. I don't even think about a change.

Keith

• Like 1

Most speaker companies will make one center channel, to match their entire line of speakers, but Klipsch actually makes 2 different center channel speakers, one for the KSP 300, and a different one for the KSP 400

Very impressive !

No "one size fits all" in the old KSP Series Speakers.  One day, I will find a semi local pair of the KSP 400's because I live in Tampa, and I can drive to Miami, Orlando, or even Atlanta to get them, when I do find them.  

I have to wonder if Bob Crites offers any aftermarket diaphragms for these horn tweeters on the KSP 300 ?  Not that the Klipsch KSP 300's "need it", like some Klipsch speakers I have owned in the past did. Of course, one has to be very careful with replacing the diaphragms in a compression driver, because it can change the crossover point, unless it is an exact electrical match to the original diaphragms. From the KSP 300 Review that I posted in the first post of this thread, it can be seen that Klipsch spent a lot of time on the KSP 300 crossover, getting it just right. In fact, the reviewer stated that the crossover in the KSP 300 was smoother at the crossover point, then nearly any crossover he had measured in the past. 

• 4 years later...
On 3/24/2016 at 9:34 AM, ka7niq said:

If there ever was a "sleeper" speaker from Klipsch, it would surely be the KSP 300. I have never heard the larger KSP 400. I have the entire KSP 300 home theater system, with the matching center and surrounds. I totally agree with this review of the KSP 300 http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/loudspeakers/klipsch-ksp300.html

I have the KSP 300s and love them.  Can I ask you what the model number is of the center speaker?

Thanks in advance,

Nelson

AE5NL

16 hours ago, AE5NL said:

I have the KSP 300s and love them.  Can I ask you what the model number is of the center speaker?

Thanks in advance,

Nelson

AE5NL

I gave those speakers to my little brother, who got back on the drugs, and sold them, so I have no way to check, but as I remember, the center channel was n ot special. Much of the time, I just used the 2 speakers, with a phantom center