Shipping Damage Advice

Montego

I don't think it matters who initiates the claim, but it might be courteous to notify the seller, and coordinate it so you're both on the same page. Take pictures for reference between the product shipped and the product received as well. If you and the seller are synchronized, the claim process should be pretty open and shut.

You're right Ibiza. I've already communicated with the seller. He said let him know what I want to do. I'm just curious if anyone has gone through this and if it worked out. I've been lucky I guess - dozens of shipments and this is my first damage. But it's the first big item that was sent to me usps.

the shipper who bought the insurance is the one who must make the claim and the system is stacked against you being able to make a successful claim. You will likely be told that you did not pack them properly and in most cases that is the hard truth. The best insurance is really good packing but when you are buying that is very hard to get the vendor to do I know. I have been there myself. That's why I advise people to go for a drive and personally pick up instead if at all possible. This also gives you the chance to look and listen to what you are buying and not have a bad vendor sen you broken or damaged crap to only claim that it was fine when it left him. I realize this is all after the fact and I am sorry that you are in this situation and that my comments won't help you. I simply want other readers to see what a dogie thing shipping big heavy speakers is. Take the wife take the kids or one make a trip out of it pick up can be a good time. No one will take better care of your new speakers than you will. good luck with the claim.

• Like 2

Op... it's ALWAYS the shippers responsibility... always.

Either party can initiate the claim, but it is going to be the ultimate responsibility of the Shipper to to have ensured that everything was not only packaged correctly, but that the proper shipping method and insurance coverage was used.

You BOTH need to work together to properly get things resolved... but you're saving grace maybe the fact that you used ebay... they will help you get your money back when these issues arrise... unfortunately that was not an option for me.

Shipping on larger items can be difficult at best. I have literally shipped several thousand items through the various shipping company's over the last 15 years. I have had a total of 5 damaged items , 2 I shipped out and 3 shipped to me. The seller must make the claim. You need to keep the shipping boxes and packing material and take photos of all the fore mentioned. Send photos to seller so they can pass it on to the shipping co. Where the real problem comes in, is the shipping company will deny your claim every time. The seller has to stay on them and not except no for an answer. This does not mean the claim will be paid. However it your only hope.  I recently bought three receivers out of New York for a total of $3000.00.  Want to talk about a kick in the head, All 3 arrived damaged. The seller all of the sudden has lost his ability to speak clear English while on the phone. But through email he states a claim has been turned in.  This is one of the 5 claims I speak of. My other 4 claims were denied, I suspect this one will turn out the same.  Insurance company's make their money by denying claims not paying them.

One claim I had was with USPS, I shipped a $1800.00 turntable. While I was at the post office the lady dropped the package 4 feet to the floor, it hit several other packages and tumbled across the floor a couple of times. My blood pressure went through the roof. I got a little excited and raised my voice to her. My wife stepped in and took over. She explained to the postal attendant, that the package was very fragile. The attendant said don't worry there was no damage  to the item. I guess she had x-ray vision. As we left the post office, a gentleman who was in line, came out to my car and said, after we left the postal attendant literally kicked the package. He gave his name and number and said he would be glad to give a statement on what he saw. I then talked to the post master general at that location. This was her response, " you had insurance, file a claim,"  I stated that's what we are here about and ask how to proceed? Her response " I don't know but good luck".

The moral of the story is " I don't know but good luck"  We live in a different world today.  The old saying about the customer is always right,  went out the door a long time ago. 

OK lets beat this dead horse. While writing my prior post, my postal carrier left a package on my front porch. It is a album that I purchased online.  Its raining  cats and dogs here this morning. the package was left in a puddle of water. I found it before the water soaked through, thank goodness. Could she not have honked the horn or knocked on the door.   To the postal carriers, get your act together or get another job. Hope that was not too harsh!!!!

• Like 1

You have two options. One send it back for a full refund and let the seller/vendor deal with the claim.  Or two just deal with the damages.  My first Heresies I got at a decent price.  I didn't have much money, plus I had to have a friend pick them up in Seattle and ship them to me.  He thought his packing was decent enough, turns out it wasn't.  I had used my employer's account to get a discount at shipping.  Both boxes where rolling around in the back of the van and had damages on them.  The corners of the speakers were dented like yours.  When I went to file the claim, I found out that the insurance would have just been credited back to the companies account.  So I opted to just keep the speakers and deal with the damage.  They still sit in my wife's craft room and get daily use, with no issues to the sound.  I used to think why should we have to pay for insurance?  Are we not paying these shipping companies to move our items from lone ocation to another, in a safe manner?  I guess not, we only pay them to have our items sit on a truck and travel across country to their destination.  The insurance is to cover the handling of the package.  Its kind of like, you want lower cost shipping, then take a risk with our handlers.  As it will go through many hands and transfers.  So there are two ways to tackle this risk, one pay for insurance and deal with losing the product in the end, but get your money back.  Or second, pack with care.  The second is the one I take, I stress to the seller that the items I purchase must be packaged correctly, if they are not done this way  and damages occur then the item will be sent back.  Take Willand's way of shipping, 1" layer of shrink wrap, packed tightly in a double box.  If the item is of some sentimental  value, than take Moray's approach, and pick it up.

My experience is that it is easier to file a claim with USPS -- I had 100% success and always got the full amount claimed.  However, it's been many years since I've had to do that so maybe things have changed.

Since you were the buyer, you should be clear.  If the claim is denied then the seller has full responsibility -- afterall they are the one that packaged the speakers and it is on them if they didn't pack them well enough.  If the speakers are in working condition and you are willing to live with the damages, start by estimating how much those damages are worth to you.  Once you have that amount just tell the seller you would like a $XXXX refund.  If they refuse, then tell them the sale is off and you want a full refund.  Help them with the claim in every way that you can, but ultimately the responsibility is on the seller.

• Like 1

you are indeed  shipping these days is a tricky biz hoping something survives till it gets to or from your destination......"sweating bullets indeed"

Hey folks,  I am a newbie to the klipsch forum posting process so any help on how to post be greatly appreciated ....

I have  a gentleman who is going to generously give me a  empty pair of  black-pa version pair of la scala cabinets for free  .  what I need is to see if I can get them shipped from staten island area down to Huntington wv on Ohio river.

I am looking for pony express help  regarding the transport if anyone can help please let me know.

I am excited to get to join the forum and see  it is  jumping w activity............thanks

OK lets beat this dead horse. While writing my prior post, my postal carrier left a package on my front porch. It is a album that I purchased online.  Its raining  cats and dogs here this morning. the package was left in a puddle of water. I found it before the water soaked through, thank goodness. Could she not have honked the horn or knocked on the door.   To the postal carriers, get your act together or get another job. Hope that was not too harsh

people either care or they do not.  unfortunately the latter seems to rear its ugly head more often than the former.  you know -- sh*t rolls downhill...

you are also right about those pictures of the packaging material, etc.  gotta build your case...