Onkyo A7 opinions with LaScalas

jvs1670

Anyone own one and have thoughts on how it may sound with LS?    Can't find a ton of info but most of what I found seems very positive.     Found one for sale nearby supposed to be in mint condition for $200

Edited by jvs1670

Those Onkyos were built, matter of fact I used its big brother A10 with my first LS. Not sure about the A7 but the 10 used two pretty damn big trannies pretty much a a dual mono design. Now considering my tastes have changed and we are talking some 45 years ago (gawd, that's hard to believe) I can't say I remember how it sounded. But those old Onk's were beauties, well built and when they were into two channel and before the black plastics boxes of he Best Buy era. If mint, maybe $200 but that's pretty step particularly if nothing has been serviced for some 40 years. The neighbors four blocks over will hear the LS with that amp.

• 1 month later...

My nice newer Onk 717 (2013) sounds pretty good with the LS, and the Khorns as well.

There is so much processing that goes on in these AVR's it's hard to get a "pure" sound, I think.  I think my Onk 717 has about 15-20   listening modes different from each other, and different from 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, etc.  At that point, all you can do is try different listening modes and pick the one that sounds the best.