Which surround back speakers to get for RF-7 II 7.1 system?

archdukeobvious

Hey everyone. I just upgraded to my first Reference line of speakers and am wondering what speakers to get for the rear surrounds to upgrade it from a 5.1 to a 7.1 system. My current set-up is a pair of RF-7 II's, RC-64 II's, and a pair of RS-62 II's. From what I could gather, likely matches would be to get either a pair of RB-61 II, RB-81 II, or a second set of RS-62 II's. Of course I started my set-up right about the time these things are no longer being produced, so I'd like to pick them up before they become hard to find. Any advice on which speakers to get would be greatly appreciated.

Archdukeobvious,

Welcome to the forum.

If you want sprayers in the rear, RS-62I's, RS-62II's, RS-52I's, RS-52II's are all fine choices.  If bookshelves, RB-61I's or RB-61II's and third 81I's or 81II's.

Some prefer RS speakers and some prefer RB speakers.  No right or wrong here.

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So finding a set of RB II's is proving difficult. However, There are a few RF62 II's and RF82 II's still floating around. Would the towers work well and which ones should I go with (62 or 82)? I'd probably put them on the sides and move the RS62's to the rear.

Also I picked up a R12SW cause why not :)

Edited by archdukeobvious

Thr most correct solution is sprayers on the sides and direct firing in the rear. Of course if your preference is to do something else then do that. :)

Ah, alright. It's probably more practical doing it that way with my room setup. So, do I go with the 62's (same size woofers as the sprayers) or the 82's (bigger is better?) ?

Either way will be sufficient. Do 7ii's in the rear... Cuz why not

I would do the rf82ii's if price is similar to the rf62ii

*Edit* if you plan on doing Dolby Atmos you should ideally have all direct radiating loudspeakers. So think about your future plans too..

Edited by MercedesBerater

Either way will be sufficient. Do 7ii's in the rear... Cuz why not

I would do the rf82ii's if price is similar to the rf62ii

*Edit* if you plan on doing Dolby Atmos you should ideally have all direct radiating loudspeakers. So think about your future plans too..

Haha don't temp me! But in all seriousness, the RF82's (which I'll probably go with) are much more speaker than I thought I'd be going with for the rears, plus more RF7's are way out of my budget. I do want to go with some Atmos speakers eventually(or sooner haha), but I'll thinking I'll wait at least one more generation of AVRs for 7.2.4 systems to hopefully come down a bit.

I'll be giving up my Bi-amp from my x2000 once I get the rears. I'm wonder if I'll notice any drop in performance on the RF7's once that happens.

Doubt you'll hear any difference. I use a $250 receiver that powers my entire system right now. I'm sure I'll hear a difference when going to separates.... But from bi-amp to regular, that's much more minor I think. And... If you miss it- a few extra amps later & you're back to bi-amped.

If the RF82ii's seem like more rear speaker than you thought you'd need... At least you'll never have to worry about the "what if", had you gone with a tiny little rear speaker.

• 2 years later...

Well, this is and old discussion,  probably over.  I have rf7,rc7,fr7 front  - rs-35s as side surrounds, - rb-35 rear surrounds.  My room is relatively small, little over 2000 cubic ft.   It is sort of funnel shaped.  The wide end is my front/screen.  That is about 15'  wide.  My projector is throwing about 120" wide image. My surrounds are close. I'm very happy with the sound from a pioneer elite sc-lx07.

Oh yeah, my projector is and 8700UB (1080p)  but still love it.