New Palladiums - In the House - Pics/Results

rgdawsonco

So, I took advantage of the big discounts on Palladiums and ordered a set of P-37’s, along with the center and surrounds in Merlot.  I did not order the sub as it is just too big for me and I already had the RT-10D, which is excellent and compact.  The Palladiums replace KLF-20s/C7 and KSP-S6 surrounds.  They arrived roughly a couple weeks ago.  I am driving them with a Denon AVR-X6200W, and I use Audessey room correction.

After many years of tinkering, I had my KLF-20’s really, really dialed into my room and they sounded beyond excellent.  My expectations for the Palladiums were better looks, slightly better mids/highs, slightly better imaging, and significantly better center integration/matching.  I had my doubts about bass, but given I am running a good sub, I was confident I could get the bass dialed in and would be at least as good.  In short, my hope was that these would provide the best sound I have ever heard.  (No pressure, haha).

The first thing to happen was that my RT-10D subwoofer inexplicably died right at the beginning, so it is in the shop, and I am without sub.

When I first turned them on (no sub, no Audessey), I immediately noticed that the P’s had potential, mids/highs were smoother and clearer, and I was very surprised by the quality of the bass.  But I knew I had some work to do to get the P’s dialed into my room.  Now, I have to say again, the previous KLF-20s were really dialed in, so I had a good idea of the sound I was expecting.

After two weeks and probably 20 hours of adjusting speaker positions, running Audessey, dozens of times, with multiple Audessey mic patterns, multiple speaker positions, and driving my wife crazy, last night it finally clicked.  And Oh.    My.    God.    It was goose-bump-city all evening.

Yes, this is the best sound I have ever achieved in my house.

Here are my a few tracks that I use to know if I am dialed in:

Blue Ray:

I use the movie “Battleship”.  This movie has tremendous sound effects.  When the alien ship breaks up and slams into earth, the explosion effects are supreme.  When a piece of the alien ship slams into a glass skyscraper the explosions and smashing glass is incredible.  I expect this to improve when I get my sub back, but I am pleasantly surprised how good the P’s perform without the sub.

Music:

Mark Knopfler – Album: Golden Heart, Track: Golden Heart.  This song has some delicate guitar, delicate vocals, along with bass note that has always been a challenge to get sounding perfect in my room.

Greg Brown – Album: Down In There, Track: Hillbilly Girl.  This song has acoustic guitar, a delicate deep simple drum beat, and vocals that that will sound grating/awful if my midrange is not dialed in. 

Yarn – Album: Yarn, Track: Listen Up Sweetheart.  This song has acoustic bass, steel guitar, mandolin, gentle snare drum and a certain spaciousness that I look for.

Many others, but I use the above ones because I am very familiar with them and they tell me when something ain’t right.

Overall happy camper here!

Pics:

FloorPlan201512.png

IMG_6067.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

IMG_6059.jpg

• Like 16

Setup looks great and trust me I know how good they sound. However I have to give you some

Probably unwanted advice. Lol I'm good at that. Your system would be on a whole new level with a higher quality subwoofer. I've had that sub as well as the palladium sub. The palladium sub is good and I'd reccomend if you had endless amounts of cash and was gonna be up front for the world to see. I sold mine as I knew there were better subs for the money. If footprint is the issue perhaps a PC-12 plus or PC-13 ultra from Svs. I had the plus with my palladiums and loved it. Blended fantastically and plays much lower and more output than the rt10d. You will be happy you did it trust me. I sold my RT-10d locally for 750$. Found the Svs PC-12 plus one year old used and mint for 800$ I've seen PC-13 ultras used occasionally for 11-1200

Setup looks great and trust me I know how good they sound. However I have to give you some

Probably unwanted advice. Lol I'm good at that. Your system would be on a whole new level with a higher quality subwoofer. I've had that sub as well as the palladium sub. The palladium sub is good and I'd reccomend if you had endless amounts of cash and was gonna be up front for the world to see. I sold mine as I knew there were better subs for the money. If footprint is the issue perhaps a PC-12 plus or PC-13 ultra from Svs. I had the plus with my palladiums and loved it. Blended fantastically and plays much lower and more output than the rt10d. You will be happy you did it trust me. I sold my RT-10d locally for 750$. Found the Svs PC-12 plus one year old used and mint for 800$ I've seen PC-13 ultras used occasionally for 11-1200

I was thinking about this.  I still have not heard back on whether my RT-10D can be fixed, so I have been thinking about a replacement if it cannot be fixed.  And I was looking at the SVS and HSU sites about the time you posted this.  Btw, HSU recommends the corner and close to the listening position, exactly where my RT-10D was, and will likely continue to locate my sub there.  I have tried the front, but I have gotten best result in the corner just behind the couch as-is and I don't want to run another cable to the front, anyway.  So space is an issue and I think the SVS PC-12 might fit the bill if I have to get a new one. It is high on the list.  But if my RT-10D is easily (i.e. cheaply) fixable, I'll try that first.

On another note, The P-27S surrounds come with port plugs and I forgot all about them and left them in.  I'm thinking I should take those out.  Any thoughts? 

I was thinking about this.  I still have not heard back on whether my RT-10D can be fixed, so I have been thinking about a replacement if it cannot be fixed.  And I was looking at the SVS and HSU sites about the time you posted this.  Btw, HSU recommends the corner and close to the listening position, exactly where my RT-10D was, and will likely continue to locate my sub there.  I have tried the front, but I have gotten best result in the corner just behind the couch as-is and I don't want to run another cable to the front, anyway.  So space is an issue and I think the SVS PC-12 might fit the bill if I have to get a new one. It is high on the list.  But if my RT-10D is easily (i.e. cheaply) fixable, I'll try that first.

On another note, The P-27S surrounds come with port plugs and I forgot all about them and left them in.  I'm thinking I should take those out.  Any thoughts? 

i left my plugs in. i didn't try them out but i can't imagine if your crossing them over around 80 that it would make a difference.

Lovely set up . i am after completing my own set i just got the p39f in espresso and now hunting for the palladium center to replace my rc64II and palladium.  surrounds to replace rs62II. what setup did you have before  how does the klipsch center sound ? would you have comparison to say whether the surrounds are worth the spend ?

Lovely set up . i am after completing my own set i just got the p39f in espresso and now hunting for the palladium center to replace my rc64II and palladium. surrounds to replace rs62II. what setup did you have before how does the klipsch center sound ? would you have comparison to say whether the surrounds are worth the spend ?

the surrounds and center are the part of the palladium lineup. Worth the spend especially at the prices they are offering.