First Watt Clone - The DIY M2

Cantilope

• 8 months later...

A quick update on my M2 build 

It developed some hum issues and  @wdecho helped me with earth schemes ect, and I thank him for his help  

In the end it was the toroidal transformer causing the hum with stray RF - This unit was not a good match with this amp 

A new Notatel brand custom made toroidal with a flux shielding band was fitted and the hum stopped quick as a flash 

Now it's so quiet it's like a vacuum in space

Very giood match for the La Scala 

FR 

46 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Beautiful build.  How does it sound?

My review of the M2 
Using Harris/Vishay Transistors and Audio-note non magnetic resistors in R1,R2,R3,R4 

This review is judged against my previous amp builds - the F5 from memory and the F6 

Components used in this test 
Pre - Nakamichi CA5
Source - Cyrus CD8 SE
Medium - CD 
Speakers - Klipsch La Scala ( Highly Modified ) 
Sensitivity min 104db 
Album - Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, and my brutal mixed track test CD

Warm up  1 hour

The F6 is super sharp and precise and does all things nice 
In a word - Its very analytical and has excellent 3D presentation in high sensitivity speakers just like the F5 its very punchy but has more finesse than the more rugged F5 amp

The M2 is extremely precise, but with a presentation that has more reserved control with an emphasis on the instrument separation and vocal area 
In playback, its not holding anything back but only gives whats required to get the job done 
The M2 portrays the feeling and tempo of the music a little better, by emphasising a slightly more controlled and a warmer feel with a wider presentation 
Still very sharp on changing passages but with a little more warmth 

Treble -  is clean and clear with lots of hang time and controls the full spectrum until it trails off 
Midrange -  is where the M2 shines and it shines on vocals and softer instrumental passages  
Bass - is still abundant but with A little less thump but has more control 

To compare the sharpness scale of the F6 and M2 Amps with an example 
F6 = You have a cleaver and a piece of steak on a cutting board 
You have the cleaver raised at head level and strike - it cuts immediately and cleanly 
But you can't hit a precise spot to cut 

M2 = You have a sharp knife and a piece of steak on a cutting board
You have the knife placed exactly where you want it to cut - you push - it cuts immediately and cleanly but cuts in exactly the place you want it -- This is the M2

FR

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I should point out that I have journeyed quite a long way in my crossover build to find Nirvana 

The combination of a seriously good amplifier, coupled to extremely good speakers, tuned the crossovers like a racing car - will give one the feeling of Utopia in a Zen like kind of way  while enjoying your favoured genre of music   

This is my crossover build journey if you care to read the thread - 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149952-a-crossover-design-on-single-exposed-board/&

11 hours ago, Cantilope said:

Very nice!  I agree with your your review of the M2, (although I have not heard a F6) it really does shine in the midrange.

Put pen to paper mate

Its good to compare my listening experience through the La Scala's 

And your experience through your Jubillees 

FR

• 5 months later...

Reading this thread intrigues me into ordering parts to build one of these....maybe the Aleph J.  Still have to build my Belle cabinets and it's cooled off nicely in central Arkansas so it won't be hot in the "shop" right now.  The amp would be a fun winter project and about the best time to use one as Class A amps can be room heaters...like tube amps.  

@wdecho & @Cantilope, I may solicit your input along the way if this comes to fruition.  These are some beautiful amps you guys have done and thanks for documenting them.

• 1 year later...

This looks really compelling and I have 2 matched pairs of the Toshiba JFETs that I was considering for a Pass DIY F5 Turbo build. The most intriguing version is the single-ended Mountain View version using available Fairchild JFETs.

Right now, I am building the Pass DIY Sony VFET push-pull amplifier using parts that wdecho sold to me earlier this year. I hope to complete this amp by Christmas, and I will post photos that chronicle the build process.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, rhing said:

This looks really compelling and I have 2 matched pairs of the Toshiba JFETs that I was considering for a Pass DIY F5 Turbo build. The most intriguing version is the single-ended Mountain View version using available Fairchild JFETs.

Right now, I am building the Pass DIY Sony VFET push-pull amplifier using parts that wdecho sold to me earlier this year. I hope to complete this amp by Christmas, and I wil post photos that chronicle the build process.

Rich, (you too @Cantilope)

You’re a bad influence on me.  Do you ever put down the soldering iron to just enjoy the music?  

Thanks to you, I hot-rodded several TDA7297s, then moved from that gateway drug to gmarsh’s Wiener TPA3118 and lastly to a TI TPA3255EVM.  The TDA7297 with the $1 blue caps from Radio Shack (RIP) was put in a case to function as a microphone pre-amp.  That tiny low-buck amp powers Heresys to the delight and amazement of most who hear it.  To my ears, the Wiener with balanced input from Pono sounds clearly better, but most regular folk say, “they both sound good.”  Similarly, the TPA3255EVM in balanced mode sounds better to me than the Wiener, but others just shrug their shoulders and look at me like I’m nuts, which I am.

The point of this ramble is that the M2 DIY kit appeals to the DIY tinkerer in me, but what’s left of my rational self says to back away from the keyboard and just enjoy music from one of the many amps currently at my disposal.  Which is a good time to mention that a h/k 730 Twin Powered receiver might soon be available to any forum member willing to pay for shipping from 48009.  If interested, send a PM to get in line.  Perhaps this weekend I’ll take some photos and start a thread regarding the 730.

As much as I’d like to hear a M2 DIY kit or any First Watt clone, I’m afraid I might like it.

• Like 2

Apologies @Cantilope for hi-jacking your interesting thread, but there is no longer a need to post a separate thread regarding my h/k 730 in need of a new home.  Bruce aka @Marvel is first in line for the h/k 730.  Bruce will get it in exchange for paying the shipping.  I recently received a decent Dual 1229 from @slindeedean for the cost of shipping. That kind offer followed a mention that I was looking for a way to play 78s I might run across.  I’m glad to pay it forward and send this 730 to Bruce.

CFBB64CF-CEE6-4EF1-9B77-7B88F69E38C6.jpeg

• Like 1

Salamat, po...

To keep this on track, I have ordered a couple of John Lindsey Hood amplifers boards (from China... we'll see when they get here). They are 10-15 watt class A amps. I'll have to get some heatsinks, power supply, etc., but am looking at using them when I try an active setup.

Bruce

• Like 1