Does anyone offer a direct fit replacement for a K55...

Schu

I think that in the range used the Klipsch K55 driver is about as good as it gets short of spending large sums. I would think (just my opinion and that and five bucks will buy you a fancy coffee at Starbucks)  that your time and money would be better spent on a better mid horn. A K510 or other quality modern design might be the way to go..

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguides.html

IIRC, the K-55 is a one inch driver.  You'll have to change out the horn too i you go to 2". 

I don't know of any 2" drivers with horn that has the same sensitivity and has flat FR from 400-5000 Hz without doing something to the crossover or re-EQing the midrange in some way. 

If you're willing to EQ by some means then there are a lot of drivers and horns that will work. 

The K-510 with a B&C DE750 (i.e., the "K-69") and suitable EQ would be a wonderful upgrade.  The K-402 is an even bigger upgrade.

Chris

What about the B and C DCM50 on a eliptrac lens? Or a BMS4592mid? Like Chris and Moray have stated there is no drop in replacement. Can't go from 2" driver to 1" horn without some funky adapter that would nullify any advantage of the 2" driver IME( and prolly stick out the back of the cabinet). If you go to an eliptrac you're going to have to mod the cabinet or set it on top. Same with the K510.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

thanks guys... i concur I suppose, I was just wondering out loud that perhaps there was something much better for not a lot of capital and drop right in.

the K-55x is listed as a 2" driver on the websight.... but I have never had it off to check.

Bottom line is the K-55 is an excellent driver through it's range. 2" diaphragm / 1" exit.  Best out there for the frequency range.

If you were going to raise the crossover frequency to 500 on a La Scala you could get away with the older 250x Selenium though you would need a tweeter that could get down to 4/4.5k.

This would not be a better driver on the k-400/401 for the money and experimenting on different horns with different crossovers could make it an alternative.

thanks guys... i concur I suppose, I was just wondering out loud that perhaps there was something much better for not a lot of capital and drop right in

thanks guys... i concur I suppose, I was just wondering out loud that perhaps there was something much better for not a lot of capital and drop right in.

the K-55x is listed as a 2" driver on the websight.... but I have never had it off to check.

The K-55 in it's iterations is  great; You could go the Selenium route as referenced; but you would probably like to replace your K-77's with the CT-125 and change the crossover to the A-4500.

• Like 1

You've got about double the surface area in K-55 diaphragms as the single K-69-A (P.Audio BM-D750), so I don't believe that you'll hear much difference--perhaps a little less diffraction due to the elimination of the  midrange driver manifold.  But the harmonic distortion will be higher at higher SPL with the K-69-A due to the reduced surface area.

The K-77 manifold is another issue.  You might hear a difference in clarity and sparkling highs using something like a Beyma CP25 or similar.  The CP25 (and CP21) have very good polars.

Chris

As long as we are wondering out loud here, since my TSCM K-400 throats are 2 inch, what are the thoughts on replacing the four K-55V Drivers and K-4 manifold with K-69 drivers?

An upgrade?

And what about the dual K-77 motor tweeter arrangement?

Roger

the correct substitute is the 1132 or 1133.   the k-69 does not have the diaphram extension needed for a driver that is expected to handle rolloffs as low as 260hz.

• 9 months later...
On 3/28/2016 at 8:17 AM, muel said:

Set an Eliptrac on top of your cabinet!  That and the 2" BMS 4592nd-mid will give you a heck of an upgrade!

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/midrange-horns.html

See that Dave also has a Fastrac that is a drop in for the Lascala but it uses the 1 inch horn.  It is certainly an improvement over the stock horn but the Eliptrac is a bigger improvement.

Could you explain the difference in the sound between the Lascala horn and Eliptrac horn?  I am currently debating on which one to get for my Khorns. The Lascala is a drop in and a little less money compared to the Eliptrac.

8 hours ago, Sid K said:

Could you explain the difference in the sound between the Lascala horn and Eliptrac horn?  I am currently debating on which one to get for my Khorns. The Lascala is a drop in and a little less money compared to the Eliptrac.

The difference from stock is about 1800 bucks. :)

The Fastrac La Scala with the K-55 driver sounds restricted in comparison to the Eliptrac with the BMS driver.  The drop in Fastrac is an improvement over the k-400 but the Eliptrac is a bigger jump.  As life like as stock La Scalas sound it is a new level with the Eliptracs.