Which receiver will run my Klipsch Reference Premiere setup best?

XciteMe

I've got my speaker setup narrowed down (Klipsch RP with twin 260F and 440C fronts, 140-SA surrounds and 110-SW subwoofer), now I just need to pull the trigger on a great AVR but I can't decide!

Please give me your recommendations guys, based on what you have or what you've owned before. I do NOT care about listening to music on this thing (I like headphones for music), I'm using the receiver for pure movie and video game audio bliss.

I've narrowed my choices down to:

A) Yamaha Aventage RX-A2050

B) Denon AVR-X4200W

or

C) Pioneer Elite SC-95

All three cost the same. All three are upper/near-flagship models.

I've heard that Yamaha receivers are more "bright" and in your face, and that you don't want to pair bright speakers (like the Klipsch) with an equally bright receiver, so that leads me to believe Denon or Pioneer would be better? Also everybody and their grandmother swears that Audyssey XT32 is miles ahead YPAO or MCACC Pro.

Help me decide guys! Thanks

Any of the three will suite your needs quite well. Just pick one that has the features you want. Audyssey is cool, but Pioneer does really well too. I have no experience with Yamaha room correction. That said, I personally don't use any room correction built into an AVR.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I have had many Denon's, currently have the X6200. I drove my KLF-20s with the X4000 and thought it was an excellent match for the Klipsch. I honestly don't hear differences in amps. But Audessey XT has done well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please...please...PLEASE do not buy an AVR based on the RCS. You have ears for a reason, please use them, you will thank yourself so much more later on.

I would prefer the Pioneer followed by the Yamaha (closely). Pioneer's have been tanks since they came out, and while people talk up the AVENTAGE line in Yamaha, they're no RX-V1, nor are they the RX-Z series by a long shot. Pioneer all the way.

• Like 1

I'm a denon fan but have a buddy who has a pioneer elite and I'm a fan of it as well. Although I think I Ike his cause it's more musical than mine. And he comes to my place and seems to enjoy what audyssey does. So that is pioneer guy saying he likes audyssey for movies. What I like and hate about his pioneer at the same time, the sweet spot is sweet! Move a few feet over and it's totally different. My audyssey isn't that drastic of a difference in the next seat over. In fact the front row of three all sound pretty dang good in each seat.

What I like and hate about his pioneer at the same time, the sweet spot is sweet! Move a few feet over and it's totally different. My audyssey isn't that drastic of a difference in the next seat over. In fact the front row of three all sound pretty dang good in each seat.

Seems like this would have more to do with your speakers and layout than what type of room correction software is in place.

I just went from a Yamaha to a Pioneer and personally while I did enjoy the Yamaha and had been a big fan of Yamaha for many years I do agree with Scrappydue about Pioneer's being more musical. I think it made the soundstage much deeper and way less bright than the Yamaha. I listen to a lot of music with female vocals so overbright highs can be a bit of a problem at higher volumes so the deeper soundstage the Pioneer provided was definitely welcome.  I went with the VSX-90 and if you do get it, make sure and use the MCACC pro because it does make a HUGE difference! 

One little tip I picked up from a thread on the AVSforum when using the room correction mic instead of just placing it on the seat where you sit actually (this may sound funny but actually did make a huge difference for me) tape it to your forehead and sit right where you normally sit when listening to music or watching movies and then run the room correction software. I tried both ways, taped to my forehead and then sitting on the seat where I normally sit and the taping to my forehead was much more effective. Like night and day honestly! 

• Like 1

I went with the Yamaha RX-A3050. Like others have said you can't go wrong with any of those choices really. I listen to a lot of music and watch 4-5

Blu-ray movies a week and think It does a beautiful job at both. My equipment is pretty much the same as yours..

2-RP-280 FA     left and right front channels  and left and right front height channels 

1-RP-450CA    center channel

4-RP-250S side surrounds & rear surrounds

2-CDT-5800-cII  rear height channel

1-R-112SW Subwoofer

I went with the Yamaha RX-A3050. Like others have said you can't go wrong with any of those choices really. I listen to a lot of music and watch 4-5

Blu-ray movies a week and think It does a beautiful job at both. My equipment is pretty much the same as yours..

2-RP-280 FA     left and right front channels  and left and right front height channels 

1-RP-450CA    center channel

4-RP-250S side surrounds & rear surrounds

2-CDT-5800-cII  rear height channel

1-R-112SW Subwoofer

Hey I was just curious if you know exactly whats the difference between the RP-450CA and the RP-450C? I know the A stand's for Atmos but looking through the specs and the description of both speakers I can't see any real difference. Anyone know? Is the Atmos one wireless or something? 

The RP-440WA is the only wireless center in the lineup.

I really hope that RP-450CA isn't an extra 200 dollars just because it says the word Atmos on it.
Didn't look at the detailed specs, but at first glance I think the difference is real wood in the CA vs. polymer in the regular RPs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I'm correct, the Pioneer is a Class D design which people say are not as musical. Whatever! The amps are based on B&O designs. I can't tell how they sound from anything else.

Denon no longer manufactures there own receivers. I believe they are made by a 3rd party in China. They are still very good quality!

Yamaha Aventage units are really nice and have received rave reviews. I own one and it performs great. I also own an older Yamaha and I notice no difference in sound quality between the two.

I think you would be pleased with all the units. I think you need to go somewhere and mess around with the ergonomics to see which you prefer. I've owned all brands and other than one is extremely more powerful I can't hear much difference. I do notice the hiccups a unit will have and I will notice how easy it is to move through the menus.

The RP-440WA is the only wireless center in the lineup.

I really hope that RP-450CA isn't an extra 200 dollars just because it says the word Atmos on it.
Didn't look at the detailed specs, but at first glance I think the difference is real wood in the CA vs. polymer in the regular RPs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

its extra because of the finish. Same everything else. Just matches the finishes offered in the towers. If you have seen a vinyl wrapped speaker next to a veneered speaker you will notice a huge difference. Much nicer.

I am looking to purchase the Marantz 7702 original version for my RP Klipsch speakers since ill run them with my amps.

I have the rp-250s for the side surround and since i want to make ATMOS 7.2.4, i was wondering how would the 250s affect the soundstage since they are bipolar(wide dispersion).. Any thoughts on it? It would be important. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

What receiver did you finally pick ? 

I am mostly Interested in Movies and Gaming, I purchased Klipsch RP-260F(2), RP-450C(1), R-112SW(1), CDT-5800-C I(2)

I still have to decide & buy AV Receiver and 2 In-ceiling Speakers for Atmos.

Please your Valuable guidance and Suggestions.

Thanks,

Rave