Heresy Rattle with Low Frequencies

Noticed this a bit with some movies when viewing them. There are some times when you hear a distinctive rattling sound in the low end of one of my H1's. The woofer doesn't appear to be damaged at all (save for some dust on the outside), and the insides look like they were never touched...

However...

I did notice something on the Xover (Type E) that looked a bit odd...

Check out these pics (they're large for detail)

DSC00413.JPG

DSC00414.JPG

DSC00415.JPG

DSC00416.JPG

DSC00417.JPG

There's one kinda nasty looking part towards the bottom of the board. Could this be the source of my issues, and if so...what should I begin with? I've never messed with soldering or gutting speakers, but I'm not afraid to start trying.

Thanks all!

Edited by IbizaFlame

check all the driver/horn mounting screws. They are just wood screws, there are usually just 4 on the woofer and they can loosen in time. Give em all a good tweak with a #3 phillips head (BIG), and consider drilling/driving another 4 for the woofer. Place ring of tape around drill bit as depth gauge. #10x 3/4 round head wood screws are what is used. 

Occasionally some of the wood cleats may vibrate loose, sometimes one is found where there is a slight rub between end grain, side of the cleats, but Klipsch cut them short a it on purpose to reduce the chance of this. Every time I've worked on any Heritage, I've put a new gasket in the mid driver, and added Parts Express type closed cell foam seal before shutting the cabinet up. That is another opportunity for air leak/rattle, if some of the rear hatch screw holes have enlarged with age. Cure for that is a round toothpick or two dipped in wood glue, secured in hole, let dry, trim off excess and reinsert screw. 

• Like 3

Michael, not quite sure I see what you are referring to?  I would make sure that all of the driver and crossover screws are fastened down securely, including the ones that fasten the crossover to the cabinet.  Are you sure it's not the back panel resonating?

• Like 1

Pretty simple thing to try and with no bad consequences, Colt. Will give that a try! Thanks for the advice! :)

I'll give a good look over on that Jim! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Edited by IbizaFlame

Whoa there big guy......adding foam where and what, and why?  Again, use some weatherstrip to seal the back panel, and play again.

Michael, PM me your address and I'll send you some 2.0uf caps to update your crossovers.....no charge, just because I'm such a good guy......

the brown part that looks crinkled.

Normal.

Huh...alright. Cool!

That's  the auto former, its supposed to look like that. 

Re foam, I've put some convoluted foam inside H cabinets just enough to cover one side and one end (like a Cornwall might have)

. All you're trying to do it dampen any internal cabinet resonances. Resist the urge to stuff the entire cavity with fiberglass, that changes the 'effective' internal volume by making the air seem denser to the drivers. 

• Like 1

On my Heresy I added some plywood to the inside of the back board to keep it from flexing at all. Sounds like something is loose in your speaker or the dust cap may be loose. Loosen and retighten all the screws on the crossover while your in there. Make sure none of the wires are close to woofer frame they can rattle a bit. Like has been said before check all mounting screws on tweeter...midrange...woofer. Rick

H-1... As others suggested, it's time to replace the caps. For the H-1's you should avoid putting anything in the cabinet. The H-2 design was different and that's why they put the foam "arch" inside. The best way, after replacing the caps, to reduce resonance vibrations or "rattling", is to use a foam gasket tape on the rear panel seal, check, and recheck all screws. Note on the caps.. If they are not working correctly, they can let low end freqs through and cause the woofers to rattle. Very bad as it will cause a woofer failure. Also check your "bass" settings on your amp. Back it off a bit and play the same music that caused rattling.

Hope this helps.