Need to replace RB-3 Fronts... any advice?

MarkPayton

Hi All:  I need to find a replacement for my RB-3 fronts (it's a long story, but suffice to say, they're well worn but now damaged to the point of impaired sound). The rest of my system consists of an RC-3 center and RS-3 surrounds, powered by a Denon 3201 receiver (yes my system is old) and an SVS cylinder subwoofer.  Just wondering, if I replace them with RP-160s, would that be a decent upgrade but still balance reasonably well with the rest of my system?  I'm on a limited budget, so not in a position to replace the whole system.  I just want to back to good sound across the front.  Any advice?

• Moderators

There's nothing wrong. With your current system. With limited budget, Craigslist is a great option.

If you are only wanting to replace the mains, I agree with the others, look for RB3, RB5, RF3. I probably would not recommend the RF5 as it is voice matched to the RC7

Thanks for all the quick replies!  I have one update... embarassingly I mis-identified the speakers - they are RB-5s.  However, it seems many of your comments still apply.  I thought these had been discontinued for years - is it still possible to replace them? Or would I need to go with a newer model like the RP 160?  I did check ebay and found a pair of RB-51-II for more than the price of brand new RP-160s!

Edited by MarkPayton

I did check ebay and found a pair of RB-51-II for more than the price of brand new RP-160s!

You don't want a pair of RB-51's, and yes, that price is ridiculous.

You're going to want something from the first three Reference generations. In my opinion, the voicing changed too drastically in the fourth(and later) generations to match the earlier ones very well.

Just keep an eye on your local craigslist.

For bookshelf models, the first three generations are going to be RB-5 > RB-5ii > RB-35

For floorstanding models, the first three generations are going to be RF-3 > RF-3ii > RF-35(or the slightly smaller RF-25).

Any of those models would be your best options for a good match with the rest of your system.

• Like 1