I know you'll laugh, but...

dongle

First a little background:

I recently got in to DVD Audio. This new (for me) technology is about like going from cassette to CD. Except this time its going from CD to DVD Audio. I am buying Music types I never listened to before just because EVERYTHING sounds so good. It requires a special DVD player that can handle DVD Audio and receiver that has 6 discrete Analog channel inputs.

So up until last month, I have been listening to them only in my house. Then I came across a DVD Audio player for automobiles. Its from Panasonic but it was the only one I could find for under 500 dollars. It came with a 45W x 4 amp for the front mains and the rear surronds, and a puny 5W built-in center speaker on the head unit. They give you warning that you'll need to supply your own subwoofer and sub woofer amp.

So I installed the unit in my car and realized the factory speakers were just not going to cut it. I purchased some Kenwoods that would fit in the small factory orginal mounting locations. (this meant the largest speakers I could get were 4 inch diameter) I also purchased one of those cheapo Bazooka sub woofers that actually fit behind the back seat.

This setup sounded pretty good, and the DVD Audio was pretty damn impressive. But... It still was leaving a lot to be desired. I wasn't getting the same impact that I was when at home. So I figured either those Kenwood speakers were just too small, or the amp that came with the head unit was too small, or both. Suprisingly, the self-amped Bazooka was doing a decent job. I don't want car rattling bass, just something that sounds good, and can pick up the slack from the smaller speakers.

Here's where you may laugh:

So I got to thinking, how could find out if the speakers are too small, or the amp was too small, without making major purschases. Then I thought of my v.2-400s. So I did a little research to make sure the impedances were okay. And the head unit on the DVD player lets you indicate if the mains and surrounds are "large" or "small" so the unit can use internal "passng" like the Klipsh amp does to send the right frequencies to right drivers. (can you tell I don't know a lot about how all this stuff works)

Anwyay, after work tonight I temporarily installed the fronts and rears from the v.2-400s and HOLY COW this sounds good. I want to mount them permantly now. I am absolutley astounded at how good these sound. (much like I was when I first put them on my PC)

So here's my questions:

1. Does anybody know of equivelent speakers that might fare better in the harsh conditions of a car.

2. If not, how can I buy fronts and mains seperately from the sub-woofer. ( I am NOT gonna rob my PC experience from the pleasures of Klipsches forever)

3. I plan to get a mono amp and replace that crappy 5W center speaker that swings out from the head unit. So in all, I need 5 of the Klispch satellites. (or equivilent sounding speakers that anybody knows of)

So I gotta say, I have had my v.2-400s for a couple years now (bought them when you could only order them here) and once again they have proven themselves.

Yeah, Justin, that's one of the things I was worried about. That and all the bouncing and shaking they'll get subjected to.

Any ideas on car speakers that are similar in quality to the V.2-400 sats? (enclosed in little cabinets is okay, cuz I figure that may be the only way to get the better sound)

Well,

Here is what I have done:

I was at Best Buy today and saw 4.1s on sale for 179.00 after 50 dollar mail-in rebate. But there was only that display, no units on the shelf. I asked the sales guy if any units wrre in back (hoping that there wasn't), he returned later and said there were none, but that he could sell me the display for 160.00. I had him fire up the PC they were hooked to (some kind of Intel speed comparison demo) and the Klipsch system did not have any bad components. I told him I'd take it. While we were boxing it up, I noticed one speaker that had a rattle in side when you shook it. (something loose inside, not from output sound) so he knocked off another 10.00. We are down to 150.00 now. When I checked out, the clerk printed me off a mail-in rebate form for a rebate of 50.00. So I was able to purchase a set of 4.1s for a 100.00. At that price, I can afford to subject them to the rigors of a car enviornment and I have a spare subwoofer for my PC to boot.

Ain't Fate Great!

Now all I need is one more sat for my car front center and then my home PC and my car DVD Audio will all be Klipsched just right!

dongle

This message has been edited by dongle on 08-30-2002 at 09:32 PM