tv antenna

calhockey10

Where I previously lived, I bought a good outdoor/attic antenna with good ratings.  It worked very, very well.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=attic%20antenna&sort=rating_high&cat_id=3944_1060825_133270_4536

Now, I use amplified rabbit ears, which work ok.  However, sometimes, I get impatient when reception is not as good, and it makes me think about going and getting another outdoor/attic antenna.

• Like 1

Can you put one in the attic? As said, outside best then attic then indoors. See antennaweb.org to see what you need for your location. I used a DB-4 from solidsignal.com in GA and a blade in the attic here.

• Like 1

When local stations went to digital broadcast I switched to one of these.  It is proposed as an RV antenna, but I wanted a small profile hanging off the chimney.  Prior to this I had one of their SquareShooters, but it was UHF only.

This is small enough it should easily fit in the attic.  It is directional, but luckily most everything around here broadcasts from "antenna hill".

Edited by flatgrass

Well my story is a little different. My son who lives an Garden city which is a LOOOONG way from Kansas city stations gets more channels than me. I get maybe 3 and not very good...I got more with ant. made from a coat hanger..lol. Not sure why since I bought a ant. from parts express and mounted it on a 6ft tri pod pole with rotor which my old FM ant was on.

I was wondering if the coax cable which is really old could be a factor in the lack or reception? But what is strange it picks up HD Radio for my Sony HD Receiver real good.

I also tried the FM ant. first before ordering this so called HDTV joke ant. [lol]

So next thing on the list is to replace the coax and see what happens.

Always wondered why SONY stopped making that little HD Radio unit and have you seen the prices on those now? WOW Rick

I agree with UNSRET check out the website.  It will provide you with all of the information you need for your location. The type of antenna used will vary with the frequencies broadcast by the stations you are trying to receive and the distance from the stations to your home.  

How do you guys get sports like on espn and nbcsn, etc?  Web streaming subscriptions?  Plus channels with the cool shows like FX for the Americans and history for Vikings?

Football is all I care to watch during football season.  All the home team's games are aired locally.  I don't watch basketball, except for home or close-to-home teams in the play-offs.  Sometimes, they are local, and other times, I might catch them at somebody else's house, or if it's not that big a deal to miss, I just skip it and don't worry about it.

There are some other good programs we non-subscribers miss; no doubt.  But we don't really find that much interest in even the "good" programs.  There are other things to do to fill the time.

TV is almost reduced to background noise for me.

Cable cutting came easy.  Living temporarily in the old family home that belongs now to my brother I have found that I am perfectly content with Netflix and Amazon Prime.  I have no interest watching sports so that helps, I guess.  Several channels available OTA but I have no way to skip commercials and being commercial free for many years I find it intolerable.  Useful only in a major news event. 

Actually, I don't watch much.  The PAW watches and I watch a few things with her we share, but without her here (she's selling the house down south) I just watch the Star Trek on Netflix with my son and there is still a lot of "Voyager" left, then Deep Space 6, and SG Enterprise so we have quite a few to go.  Other than, mostly documentaries and an occasional movie with him.

Dave

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi

I have cable, but my smart TV's also pick up all of the antenna channels.  So it has channels that are labeled "Cable" and others that are labeled "Antenna"  The antenna channels take a second to pull in. 

Is the TV using the coaxial cable as an antenna?  If not, how is it picking up the antenna channels? 

The TV's are Samsung if that matters. 

Cable is worthless and I'd like to get rid of it. 

We have one of those.  If you set the tv to antenna you get the OTA stuff.  It's handy when cable goes out.  Channels are very limited though.  There is a separate antenna in the form of a flat plate which depending upon placement works.  If you are close enough to the broadcast signal you might not need the plate.