Klf -30s

Mike M

I kept a set of KLF-30s over a beautifully finished set of La Scalas, then stupidly sold them to a friend.  Searched after a few years and found another pair.  Refinished them (scuffed up and such).  I've had them for about 5-6 years now, put Ti tweeters in them, they have stock phenolic mids.  Sound very good, as I said, kept them over k-horns.  Going to be consolidating homes in the not to distant future, where the big black beasts may not be the best decor item so just bought two r-12sws and thinking of marrying them with a pair of P-17Bs.  Am I crazy?  Should I just veneer the 30's?  

SO likes the looks of the P-17Bs if anyone wants to part with a mint pair in natural.

Im glad you guys were sleeping on those.....1100 a bit much but they are perfect! They were the fronts of a home theater that rarely got used. He also had a mint pair of klf 20s for the rear. The seller was awesome....his dad was an early klipsch dealer and dealt with pwk a few times. Move over kg4.5 your daddys home!

Had a pair of 30's. Could not get rid of them fast enough! Not my cup of tea...

Ha....I had the same experience with Heresies, LaScalas, Forte ll"s, Chorus ll"s. I've heard the 30s sound like a joke more than once. Don't know what the others need to make them sound good....but I do know what the 30s needed.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Had a pair of 30's.  Could not get rid of them fast enough!  Not my cup of tea...

Wrong room, wrong speaker.  If you look at the components, they have pretty much the same components as a Cornwall, Heresy, Chorus, and Forte so I am always amazed with those statements.  The tried and true components are used across the line, from Heritage to Legend so you have to wonder.  The woofers are also better.  Unless you don't like the bass but of course, to each their own.

• Like 1

I just wanted 30's for HT  L/R that is it , would a pair of RF-7II or 83's work better ?

The center matching is important for HT, most of the dialogue is from the center.  RF-83's with a RC-64 are great.  RF-7 with a RC-7 are a very good combo, and KLF-30/20 with a KLF-C7 are impressive.

Or (3) KL-650 THX speakers are great.

Or are you down sampling to 2 ch?

3 way usually works better if you like more forward (not screechy but forward) presentation of sound due to the dedicated midrange.

e35d7898b7c3e9bfe346c9054a3b7b62.jpg

This is how I EQ my 30's

• Like 1

Ha....I had the same experience with Heresies, LaScalas, Forte ll"s, Chorus ll"s. I've heard the 30s sound like a joke more than once. Don't know what the others need to make them sound good....but I do know what the 30s needed.

The La Scala has spoiled me.  I keep going back to them after trying many models of Klipsch.  Perhaps I came across wrong.  I think the 30 has its place and is an awesome speaker.  I am just hook-line-sinker for the Heritage.

Wrong room, wrong speaker.
  :emotion-21:

3 way usually works better if you like more forward (not screechy but forward) presentation of sound due to the dedicated midrange.

e35d7898b7c3e9bfe346c9054a3b7b62.jpg

This is how I EQ my 30's

If you are doing -10db at 630hz, you have a serious problem with your KLFs or the room.  The KLF-30s can sound a little bit tubby in that frequency range but are actually pretty flat.  10db, ouch.  

That would be a seriously under-damped speaker sound or room mode.  Could even be lack of loading in the room in an odd way, lacking bottom end.

You got me interested... I should measure my KLF-30s in my room.

That would be a seriously under-damped speaker sound or room mode. Could even be lack of loading in the room in an odd way, lacking bottom end. You got me interested... I should measure my KLF-30s in my room.

This is basically how I hear every three-way Klipsch....more so with the Heritage. If I don't EQ it this way, the mids are too forward, bass is lacking and lack a 'richness' in the sound. It's not just in my room...it's any room I've ever heard them in. I'm not the only one to make this claim about the Klipsch sound.....but when I EQ them, I love em.