Power but no sound from my RW-12d

3litervr

Hey everyone, 

My rw12d still powers on but it does not give any bass. Pulled the panel off the back but, I am blind to any potential idea of what to look for or what could be wrong. Sorry for my incompetence. I am just looking for some input on my situation and hopefully I can get this guy back in action without buying another amp or sub all in all. 

Thank you,

Eric

• Sad 1

What happened right before it stopped working? Was it playing and stopped while working? Or did you turn it on and then notice it was not outputting any sound? Do you have any other source you can hook it up to so as to rule out the source being the problem?

• Like 1

My friend's RW-12d had a burned resistor on the amp. I replaced the tiny resistor, but it burned again, indicating a more serious problem. We decided that a new Parts Express amp would be more cost effective than a full repair, so I cut the speaker wire at the amp and spliced on some extra speaker wire, drilled a small hole and fed the new wire out to an external Dayton Audio subwoofer power amp.

While you are in the cabinet, make sure the port tube is tight, because the original glue can dry out causing a rattle or buzz.

As suggested in the above posts, first check your fuse and that you have a good sub cable signal, and I would also check the voice coil continuity (hook the unplugged subwoofer driver to any known good speaker wire and play some music), but the amp is the probable suspect.

• Like 1

It was working fine one evening. The next day I turned it on I didn't notice immediately if it was working or not. About 30 mins in i realized that all my bass was coming from my front floor standing speakers. 

So my RCA cable comes out and then I have a pig tail to go into the red and white on the back of the sub. My other receiver runs just a single monster RCA cable to my sw-112. Will I be able to check with that RCA cable into the rw12d? 

I disconnected my back left speaker wire and ran it to the left high port on the back of the rw12d and it works. So I am so incompetent that i have no clue where to go from here. 

Thanks

• Like 2

Either the sub out of your receiver crapped out, the RCA input went bad on your amp, your cable is bad or the settings changed in your receiver somehow.

1 Recheck ALL settings in your receiver like speaker size (small) subwoofer on or yes and crossover setting.

2 Try a different subwoofer cable.

3 If you have another sub, you can try your existing cable and receiver to see if it's the plate amp.

• Like 1

Thanks for the assistance guys. Whatever was going on I hope wasn't a sign the amp is going bad. Because it didn't work with the other Monster RCA but it worked with the speaker wire into the high level in. After that I gave it another shot with the original RCA and it is back to life. 

Hadn't changed anything on the receiver in months. Checked all that and everything seemed right where i left it. Only thing I could think of is I changed it from depth to flat and messed with the lowpass recently. So maybe that had something to do with it. 

• Like 3

After that I gave it another shot with the original RCA and it is back to life.

Could have been corrosion at the connection.  Sometimes removing and reinstalling will clean them enough to work again.  Glad it's up and running again.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/31/2016 at 2:34 PM, 3litervr said:

guys, my rca cable had a humming noise in the middle of the night and I thought a train was going by. I unplugged it and plugged back - it appears the Cable had been mashed up against the wall so I figured it shorted. Sound came on and lasted for a few months and now nothing… I got a new cable, tested cable so I know it works, there is a buzz from it. My Gain had been on half dial this whole time -(guessing kids). Light is on, it gets power but won’t play sound. Ideas? 

Thanks for the assistance guys. Whatever was going on I hope wasn't a sign the amp is going bad. Because it didn't work with the other Monster RCA but it worked with the speaker wire into the high level in. After that I gave it another shot with the original RCA and it is back to life. 

Hadn't changed anything on the receiver in months. Checked all that and everything seemed right where i left it. Only thing I could think of is I changed it from depth to flat and messed with the lowpass recently. So maybe that had something to do with it.