Wanted, super-budget integrated amp

confetti

My old NAD died, alas; and I'm on a ridiculously tight budget. I know I can't afford to replace my NAD sound, but does anyone have something that would pair nicely with my RF7s for (this is embarrassing) $100 - $150 with shipping? 

I'm watching ebay and Craigslist but in that range things get really iffy and I'd much rather purchase from someone in this community.

Edited by confetti

I had it repaired once, many years ago, and it cost more than they're going for on Ebay, it was kind of shocking. I'd love a free estimate, but the best deal I can find on that is $40 non-refundable, and I'm afraid to risk it. I'm not a cheapskate, it's just a real wall, sigh.

It's a small but open studio apartment, speakers are @20, 25 feet from my usual listening post, pulled-out corner position.  

Medium volume is fine; the NAD had more than I needed though I did let 'em rip now and then. I do need minimal loss at low volumes, though in my price range I'm not sure I can be very choosy. I have a huge CD collection but as often use itunes on my laptop  for convenience.

Never was sure that I was setting that up the best (affordable) way - just ran a long cord with a cheap dongle thing. The CDs sound better of course, but it's liveable. 

If you like the NAD "house" sound, would you be open to getting a mid/early 2000's NAD AVR?  I am driving a pair of Heresys in our guest bedroom with an NAD T773 AVR and the combination is absolutely wonderful.  Look for a T753, T763, or even an older T770.  I have used many a preamp/amp combo, stereo receivers, integrated amps, with my Heresys and my current T773 AVR is right near the top in sound quality.  Not quite the Luxman R-117 but pretty darn good.

Bill

Edited by willland

http://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=calss%20t%20amp&sitesearch=true

These are intriguing, someone else has suggested them. Googled a lot - sounds like they deliver great sound, amazing for the price, but comments everywhere report breakdown within a short time - channels going out, etc etc etc.   So even cheap I fear that and might be better off putting even $30 toward something that... hm ...   will only die as quickly of old age...  sigh.

The old Nakamichi receivers pair nicely with Klipsch speakers. I have a Receiver-2 running a set of Epic CF-2's, and 8-9 o'clock on the volume, its too loud to talk over.

Here's a nice TA in your price range - there are more on EB to choose from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAKAMICHI-TA-2A-HIGH-DEFINITION-TUNER-AMPLIFIER-RECEIVER-WORKS-GREAT-/272190528370?hash=item3f5fd1db72:g:SpsAAOSwLpdW8vpJ

• Like 1

Those are all interesting picks - there are also NADS not too high, too, especially from that Ebay guy in the UK, anyone here who's dealt with him? He seems to have zillions of NADs, always. Mostly just a little too high. I could trade in the dead NAD for parts somewhere maybe...  

For my RFs and budget is there a better way to go? I've been waiting for a bargain one, or maybe Marantz, HK, Onkyo, maybe Rotel? B&K? There's no dearth of amps out there, just options are very limited by the combination of my absurd price range and lack of knowing which Kenwood or Pioneer or whatever to recognize as a stellar buy.

I've only known the NAD and like it - it's really difficult to sort through the particular models of the many various vintage options.

Been waiting for a super bargain and watching Craigslist daily, nothing so far but ready to leap. Was sorta hoping someone in here, Klipsch expert,  had just the right thing to sell me. :)

Edited by confetti

Just writing in here and googling tirelessly for a few days has me realizing that I should probably get a NAD 3020, since I really was fond of mine and they can be had for just a little more than I wanted to spend. With my RF7s, which I know are somewhat different than other Klipsch speakers, and before I spring for a NAD from the UK (that guy is NAD city), are there any specific reconsiderations I should entertain? Everyone loves the NADS in general, but just want to make sure I'm not overlooking a particularly perfect bargain match. Like the Yamaha, which some people hate on Klipsch speakers because of brightness - does that hold across all Klipsch speaker models? 

I have a good ear - had a professional sound guy and audiophile sweetheart years ago who used to take me around to demos and blindfold me and show me off (That sounds wrong. My EARS!) and my Dad was dedicated to all that, but I have little patience with techy stuff and realize that I don't know much about my own speakers. 

What about Cambridge Audio? There's a cheap lower end one in Ebay - it's pretty. Too warm? I liked the bold energy of these speakers when I bought them, among other things, they just lit everything up. Still love 'em and can't wait to get them going again. 

Yeah, jason, that's where I keep landing.

Lots on Ebay, and some pretty established sellers - now just trying to decide between a 3020, sweet sound but so old, I worry, and a really almost unused  C316BEE, which gets nice reviews but is apparently missing some of the almost mythical musicality of its ancestor. I don't want to be looking at repairs. I listen to movies, too, and maybe the newer one would be a compromise if it's a little more 'digital' sounding. 

Hmhmhmh. 

It all comes down to your personal preference. What sounds good to me, you might not like. Every brand you mentioned has good models. They also have models that weren't so good. I'd continue to research and find what's a good fit for you. The ones I'd recommend I couldn't find in your price range. There's a lot more options if you stretch your budget a little. Maybe save up a little more. A lot of us change up gear so much just to get something that sounds different. You might also want to research shipping from the UK. I've heard of people getting hit with import charges. Also if there's a problem, it's going to be a bad time. That's why I refuse to buy or ship over seas. Saving a few bucks isn't worth the headache that usually goes along with it. Shipping old receivers is dicey enough locally.