Klipsch KG-4.5's rescued

whell

Not sure why these speakers don't get more love among Klipsch devotees. I recently picked these up locally used of CL for $90.  Sure enough, the cabinets needed re-gluing.  While I was inside the boxes, took the opportunity to give the cabs a bit of extra bracing.  Found some scrap wood for cheap at Home Depot that worked great,  Used Liquid Nails to re-glue the cabs.  Spent some money on the Crites titanium diaphragms.  So, for $155 for the pair plus the cost of Liquid Nails I've got a "new to me" set of speakers.

I dropped these into my main system just for kicks: powered by a nice EL-84 based amp.  All I can say is that for the price of admission these things are amazing.  They'd still be amazing if I paid $100 more, so I'm having thoughts about a crossover upgrade to put the finishing touch on these.  However, as they sit right now with the Crites upgrade and the stock crossovers, the sound that these things make is VERY pleasing to my ears.  Lotsa dynamics, sounds great with no matter what music I've thrown at them.  Listening to some old Loggins and Messina right now, and the boys sound like they're kicking back and playing right here in the man-cave.  Listened to some Oscar Petersen this morning, and Oscar never sounded better. 

These things have to be THE stone cold value buy in the Klipsch world right now.  I've seen a few pair on CL and the Bay since I've picked these up, and the prices seem to be reasonable in the used market for what you get.  No, they don't have the super-lively mids of the Heritage line, but they've got a very nice balance and can kick out some serious and controlled bass when placed in the listening room with care. 

Other than the deteriorating cabinet glue and some easily hidden age spots and battle scars, they look great.  These are black satin so the few nicks and scratches were easily covered.  I've seen a pair for sale on the Bay not far away in oak finish that would look great in a more formal room. 

For folks looking to put together a great system, but whose budget won't command new stuff or used Heritage, these are an easy recommendation. 

Edited by whell

Glad to see them restored and enjoyed.

You're right, the KG 4.5 doesn't get talked about too much.  The middle model is the most rare of the three.  Same with RF 3,5,7 and KLF 10,20,30.

After comparing 4.5s and 5.5s (all original) I ended up selling the 5.5s.  The 5.5s gave more bass so much that it was uneven, something I would have liked at age 18.  The 4.5s are balanced very well and have a much shallower footprint than their big bro.