Cancelled the Kohls account.........

oscarsear

2 months ago I got my Kohls 'sale' mailer.  At the spur of the moment I went to Kohls during the sale and got several items.  Once at the cash register it dawned on me that I did not have my Kohls charge card that had to be used to access the discounts. "No problem", says the clerk - she got some info from me and voila the purchase was easy and smooth.

Fast forward to last Tuesday.  I had not gotten a Kohls account statement and as a matter of routine I always pay all my revolving accounts in full monthly.  So I stop by Kohls again.  I ask the clerk why no statement was sent and was advised that Kohls now uses email statements.  Whatever.  I ask if I could make my payment there and she says 'yes'.  I asked for my balance and she says she cannot give my that info.  Says I need to go to customer service.  I go to customer service........  they cannot give me my account balance either.  I have to call somewhere for the balance.  So I call and get my balance and I then pay off the account.  I then ask to close the account cuz now I am pissed off.  Cannot do that either.  Have to call and cancel.  Done deal.  Kohls is gone.

In other words they'll move mountains to sell you stuff and move mountains in the way if you want to pay your account in full.  It is possible that other department stores do the same.  Anyway........  just an FYI.  Seem like businesses are becoming more desperate and underhanded in their customer interactions.  I cannot imagine anyone finding favor with such lousy customer service.  But whadoIknow?

The wife and I stopped by Kohls a month ago to look for summer stuff. She has trouble finding clothes in 00/2 sizes. We both bought a bunch of stuff. Got to the register and were asked if we had an account. We did not have an account. The gal says that in addition to the 30% off sale that we could get an additional 35% ? off if we had an account. I asked if we could open an account. She said yes. We opened an account and she rang up the stuff. She said we saved ~$150. I told her I loved saving money, then I asked if I could pay on my account. She said yes. I wrote her a check for the balance. Waited a couple weeks and closed the account. My experience.

Keith

• Like 2

Somewhat in their defense, so much has been set up online that dealing with humans is all but impossible.  I prefer the convenience of emailed statements and online payments.  I've not felt the need to speak to a human in the Kohls credit department for years.

I worked retail for 13-years and stopped just when on-line shopping was in it's infancy. Pretty glad I did. I didn't make ANYTHING (I screamed to get $6.50/hr. some 23-years ago) so I can just imagine how little I would make at a brick and morter.

Edited by Mighty Favog

I haven't had a credit card in 6 years.  Of course, credit score is down because the system is rigged in favor of irresponsibility.  I could care less.  Get offers all the time.  "O% first year!"  "You won't believe your credit line"  "Charge!!!"  "We just want to take your picture!" 

Sheesh.  Had it with the system. 

Dave

• Like 1

It's funny how you have to jump through hoops to pay bills through a phone system, but they will let you open accounts and even help you make up a name if needed (Of course I'm embellishing the name making up part).

I've had a harder time paying through a person on the phone to the point I've yelled at them asking why would I call in to make a payment on an account I don't have, or for another person? There is no common sense anymore,especially with people in other countries set up to help us.

I do a lot of online business with Nordstrom Rack.  You can use any credit line, they ship all purchases over $100 for free.  I have a brick and mortar store nearby and they accept returns on all items and post the refund immediately.  Great selection - some reasonable prices and better quality stuff.  

My wife loves Kohls.  She likes the paper bills and she likes to write a paper check every month for payment in full so there is no interest charge.  She just feels like she's so special when she can put all those paper discount coupons in her hand.  She's really saving money now!

I hate Kohls for all the reasons mentioned above by everyone else ^^^ about the deceitful "30% off" sales they have EVERY DAY to bring prices down to where they should have been before they started.

It doesn't affect me.  I don't go there.

All you have to do is pay it off every month and you'll never be charged any interest.

Precisely how they've made billions and billions and made so many their obedient servants.  Also does nothing for your credit line unless you pay some interest to the devil.  I hate them and all they stand for.

Because we have assets and a good relationship with a local bank we can borrow for what is necessary in spite of the retaliation of the credit unions for being responsible.  It's the old fashioned way, and I prefer it.  If I can pay at the end of the month I can pay right now.

Dave

Also does nothing for your credit line unless you pay some interest to the devil.

I don't believe that's correct.  If you have a card and don't use it, it does nothing for you.  If you're card is active and your payments are on time (full or partial payment) your credit score will go up.  I've been doing that for years and my score reflects it.

Also does nothing for your credit line unless you pay some interest to the devil.

I don't believe that's correct.  If you have a card and don't use it, it does nothing for you.  If you're card is active and your payments are on time (full or partial payment) your credit score will go up.  I've been doing that for years and my score reflects it.

There is actually truth to both responses.

From a mortgage brokers standpoint, if you don't use the card, it goes as a negative for your credit score as it neither goes up nor down, and companies will actually bump your credit sometimes, or even close the account which is negative,and if you pay the balance off fully it won't give you the jump in score you would think you should get. It shows as 1 more thing that you have "credit" for,and if not used doesn't bump the scores as you are using less overall.

Your score increases the most when you let the companies make a little money on you from an interest standpoint, and also your credit line being more than "average". As it will then show more credit is being used when compared to your income and the payment history. The more cards you have with average or below average lines, is a negative, while the less cards with more credit lines are positive.

The more you owe within a certain % of the allowable credit amounts the more your score rises. Once you go over that threshold even though you're not over limits and on time, the less the score rises. If you are under a certain % of the amount allowable, the score also doesn't climb as much,and can actually drop in certain instances.