Anyone here into car audio?

AaronB123

Anyone here into car audio, if so what brand speakers do you prefer? I'll list what I've got to get it started. I've got Boston Acoustic SR-50's I wanted the 65's but they wouldnt fit in my door (too deep) with JL audio 150/2 slash amp powering the comps and 2 Diamond audio d6 12's in a custom box tuned to 35 hz and a Memphis MCD1000 powering that. Headunit is a Pioneer AVH X2800BS. I am pretty happy with it, i've had it for probably around 5 years. Really no plans to upgrade anything. I am way more focused on quality home audio because it's hard to get things sounding the way you want in a car with all the different materials and all that. 

It took a TON of sound deadening material to get the rattling to stop with the subs. The only thing that I recently did replace was the headunit because I wanted bluetooth. It's too bad Klipsch doesn't make car speakers! I have actually thought about buying the satellites that come with the Pro Media 2.1's and mounting those in the car! May sound funny but I actually heard of a guy doing that on another forum and he said hands down the best sounding speakers he ever had. Of course they would be paired with my subs. 

What does everyone else have? 

I just picked up a Toyota 2010 Rav4 (base model) and there are stock speakers everywhere like in the doors but the sound is so odd to me.  The head unit looks unique (round edges) so I doubt there is any replacement for it.

When I max the volume out at 65 (whatever that means) I am even more underwhelmed with low volume and completely unbalanced HF, mid and LF sound, everything EQ'd with tone controls flat.  It kinda sounds good but it never really gets there for me.

If you have a suggestion, I'm listening. 

toyota-rav4-ac-radio.jpg

Edited by wvu80

wvu, most cars will require a new faceplate to be installed or a conversion kit in order for the new deck. Most don't have perfectly square interfaces built into them. You might want to look at Amazon in the car stereo gear. There's a handy tool that will tell you the parts you need to get in order to make it so you can use an aftermarket deck.

I just picked up a Toyota 2010 Rav4 (base model) and there are stock speakers everywhere like in the doors but the sound is so odd to me.  The head unit looks unique (round edges) so I doubt there is any replacement for it.

When I max the volume out at 65 (whatever that means) I am even more underwhelmed with low volume and completely unbalanced HF, mid and LF sound, everything EQ'd with tone controls flat.  It kinda sounds good but it never really gets there for me.

If you have a suggestion, I'm listening. 

toyota-rav4-ac-radio.jpg

I would highly recommend looking into Crutchfield.com While amazon may have better prices on certain items you CANNOT beat their customer service and to top that off, if you put the car you have in they will send you free of charge the dash kit, wire harness and installation book for not only the headunit but for installation of door speakers that you may be interested in down the road as well. 

I always tell people, order from crutchfield first so you can get all the installation gear you will need free of charge then later on you can order from other cheaper sites if you are looking to upgrade in the future. Also, if you order speakers and they aren't the exact size they will include mounting brackets. Shipping is pretty much just as quick as amazon. Haha, it may sound like I am sponsored by them or work for them, I do not I just know how frustrating it can be to order car audio gear and not have the right stuff to install it. I have been dealing with them for years and highly recommend them to get you started. 

As far as brands go, I have always preferred Pioneer headunits. I always recommend people replace the headunit first because that will make the stock speakers sound 100% better right off the bat. As far as speakers go I always liked Boston Acoustic, Pioneer, Foal makes a really great speaker JL audio is another really good one. 

I just recently installed a pair of Rockford Fosgate speakers in my friends car and I was extremely impressed based on the fact that they were only 70 dollar speakers. 

Edited by AaronB123
  • Like 1

I was back in the day, a friend of mine was an installer so he showed me the ropes.  He won nationals in IASCA but then wanted a new build the next year so he gave me all his panels and I got his amps and speakers for real cheap.  We had the same car so I instantly had a national winning installation.  There were a couple things that were different but not much.  Totaled the car not long after that. :)  

• Like 1

I was back in the day, a friend of mine was an installer so he showed me the ropes.  He won nationals in IASCA but then wanted a new build the next year so he gave me all his panels and I got his amps and speakers for real cheap.  We had the same car so I instantly had a national winning installation.  There were a couple things that were different but not much.  Totaled the car not long after that. :)

Damn that must have been some system.  I'm sorry to hear that you totaled the car, I'm glad your still here to tell us about it though! 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Always liked great sound in my vehicles. Last few cars came with awesone factory systems. Jaguar had great sound, Lincoln has Thx certified movie audio, Mark Levinson, etc.

I thought I might upgrade when I saw Roy's son's car where he installed some massive Klipsch 3way, maybe Heresy, but I think a little different.

At the Sema shows and CES shows they always had sound contests, etc. I'm looking more at how it sounds going down the road.

Damn that must have been some system.  I'm sorry to hear that you totaled the car, I'm glad your still here to tell us about it though! 

It's ghetto by today's standards but back in the early 90's it was pretty cool, especially for somebody making barely over $4 an hour.  They published it in Auto Sound and Security magazine.  Didn't show it but the subs had mirrors inside the box, you could remove the chevy symbol and look in, due to the mirrors it looked like there were twelve 12's floating in there.  

car_zpsjfmvo1ry.jpg

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Moderators

I was back in the day, a friend of mine was an installer so he showed me the ropes. He won nationals in IASCA but then wanted a new build the next year so he gave me all his panels and I got his amps and speakers for real cheap. We had the same car so I instantly had a national winning installation. There were a couple things that were different but not much. Totaled the car not long after that. :)

Damn that must have been some system. I'm sorry to hear that you totaled the car, I'm glad your still here to tell us about it though!

It's ghetto by today's standards but back in the early 90's it was pretty cool, especially for somebody making barely over $4 an hour. They published it in Auto Sound and Security magazine. Didn't show it but the subs had mirrors inside the box, you could remove the chevy symbol and look in, due to the mirrors it looked like there were twelve 12's floating in there.

car_zpsjfmvo1ry.jpg

2 gauge welding cable for wiring, I loved that part.

Blue LEDs under vehicle, you were ahead of your time.

• Like 1

BITD I had a small Pontiac Phoenix circa 1981.  I put in a Blankput AM/FM Casette player (integrated, no amp) and some Alpine speakers.  The car was super quiet and I enjoyed that setup for about 10 years until I sold the car.  I since got married and have not had the pleasure of such a nice system since.

I used to get into the car audio scene back in the day. Now I work from home and barely drive anywhere, I figure there is not much reason to blow a bunch of money in there when I still have rooms to fill with AV sh*t. The Alpine 500 watt system that my Ram Laramie came with is sufficient for the amount of time I spend in it. 

Tim

• Like 1

I used to do car audio as a hobby. Always stuck with JL Audio gear.

Now, I just keep it stock, as I don't like the sound of glass reflections and body panels shaking anymore.

The Burmester optional system in the S is amazing. But outta the price range for a "stock" setup, might as well be fully custom.

Car stereos are getting pretty good these days from factory! It seems to be the car stereo hobby has really died off. (At least in my area)

It's too bad Klipsch doesn't make car speakers! I have actually thought about buying the satellites that come with the Pro Media 2.1's and mounting those in the car!

When I was in high school, I had a full sized station wagon.  Buick Estate Wagon as I recall.  I was moving my Electrovoice Interface D's somewhere....  so I got creative and rewired the stereo and plugged them in....both of them.  It was pretty cool!

I had a pair of ESS AMT's in the back floor as my every day car speakers.  (they got kicked out of the house when the LaScalas arrived)

Later in college, I dropped the station wagon and had a 1971 4-4-2 convertible.

Don't you know that a pair of LaScalas will fit perfectly in the back seat with the top down!!!!

Never hooked them up though.  That might have been interesting.

• Like 2

I spend most of my time in my company vehicle. 2014 Silverado with stock sound system. Since I spend so much time in a vehicle, my wish is some type of plug and play DSP to balance out the peaks. The factory systems have so many peaks in the midrange, I can barely listen to audio books. The 2014 is better on music than my 2008 Silverado (with 293,000 miles and counting). I keep toying with the idea of putting a sound system in mine. Judy's 2015 Mustang EcoBoost sounds much better than the stock Chevy systems I have.

I used to do car audio as a hobby. Always stuck with JL Audio gear.

Now, I just keep it stock, as I don't like the sound of glass reflections and body panels shaking anymore.

The Burmester optional system in the S is amazing. But outta the price range for a "stock" setup, might as well be fully custom.

Car stereos are getting pretty good these days from factory! It seems to be the car stereo hobby has really died off. (At least in my area)

Ya I agree I can't stand the rattling either that is associated with having a sub or even having  good door 

It's too bad Klipsch doesn't make car speakers! I have actually thought about buying the satellites that come with the Pro Media 2.1's and mounting those in the car!

When I was in high school, I had a full sized station wagon.  Buick Estate Wagon as I recall.  I was moving my Electrovoice Interface D's somewhere....  so I got creative and rewired the stereo and plugged them in....both of them.  It was pretty cool!

I had a pair of ESS AMT's in the back floor as my every day car speakers.  (they got kicked out of the house when the LaScalas arrived)

Later in college, I dropped the station wagon and had a 1971 4-4-2 convertible.

Don't you know that a pair of LaScalas will fit perfectly in the back seat with the top down!!!!

Never hooked them up though.  That might have been interesting.

Haha, thats amazing! I actually thought about putting bookshelf speakers in my car at one point as well because I know it would most likely sound much better than any speakers installed in the doors. My family laughed at me and called me crazy, I also made a thread about it on caraudio.com where they also called me crazy! The thing is though I have a 150 watt per channel amp in there, it could really bring some speakers to life!