Anyone here into car audio?

AaronB123

Currently the stock JBL system in my Tundra is OK, but nothing special at all and sounds like it's playing from about 80 to 12,000, just a lot of signal missing, at least that's what it sounds like to me.  I have found some signal processors that I might try, but I have a feeling that by doing that, it's just going to throw a spot light directly on the limits of the speakers so that will be a rabbit hole for sure.

Last great truck system I had was in my last big dually crew cab and did a custom sub box running 4 Memphis 8's (sealed box) 6 MB quart and some Aria (pretty sure that's what they were) up in the dash.  Head unit was a Kenwood and I can't recall what amps were used.  (too long ago) but that truck rocked. :D

20 years ago I had a '91 Nissan Sentra with an Alpine head unit, Infinity Kappas all around, with a 10" Perfect Sub in the back.  Installed it myself and was really getting into it.  All stolen after a few months of enjoyment.  Since then I've replaced a head unit for better sound but that's it. 

I just picked up a Toyota 2010 Rav4 (base model) and there are stock speakers everywhere like in the doors but the sound is so odd to me. The head unit looks unique (round edges) so I doubt there is any replacement for it. When I max the volume out at 65 (whatever that means) I am even more underwhelmed with low volume and completely unbalanced HF, mid and LF sound, everything EQ'd with tone controls flat. It kinda sounds good but it never really gets there for me.

We have the same year Toyota Rav4, and I totally agree.  With tone controls flat it sounds like a severe smiley face EQ, bass and treble too hot.  I have the bass and treble turned way down and the mids flat.  It sounds better but not real engaging.

We have an older Mazda 3 and that stock stereo sounds great.  Up the bass one notch and you're there. 

Edited by Rivernuggets

It's too bad Klipsch doesn't make car speakers! I have actually thought about buying the satellites that come with the Pro Media 2.1's and mounting those in the car!

When I was in high school, I had a full sized station wagon.  Buick Estate Wagon as I recall.  I was moving my Electrovoice Interface D's somewhere....  so I got creative and rewired the stereo and plugged them in....both of them.  It was pretty cool!

I had a pair of ESS AMT's in the back floor as my every day car speakers.  (they got kicked out of the house when the LaScalas arrived)

Later in college, I dropped the station wagon and had a 1971 4-4-2 convertible.

Don't you know that a pair of LaScalas will fit perfectly in the back seat with the top down!!!!

Never hooked them up though.  That might have been interesting.

I had a 1971 and a 69 442, but neither a convertible…..dream car now.

20 years ago I had a '91 Nissan Sentra with an Alpine head unit, Infinity Kappas all around, with a 10" Perfect Sub in the back.  Installed it myself and was really getting into it.  All stolen after a few months of enjoyment.  Since then I've replaced a head unit for better sound but that's it. 

I just picked up a Toyota 2010 Rav4 (base model) and there are stock speakers everywhere like in the doors but the sound is so odd to me. The head unit looks unique (round edges) so I doubt there is any replacement for it. When I max the volume out at 65 (whatever that means) I am even more underwhelmed with low volume and completely unbalanced HF, mid and LF sound, everything EQ'd with tone controls flat. It kinda sounds good but it never really gets there for me.

We have the same year Toyota Rav4, and I totally agree.  With tone controls flat it sounds like a severe smiley face EQ, bass and treble too hot.  I have the bass and treble turned way down and the mids flat.  It sounds better but not real engaging.

We have an older Mazda 3 and that stock stereo sounds great.  Up the bass one notch and you're there. 

Ugh that sucks thats definitely a big fear of mine! I've invested tons of money into my system over the years. 

• Like 1