Vikings on History Channel 2016 - present

wvu80

• Moderators

Anyone watching Vikings? It is one of the few series I watch, along with Agents of Shield.

The Vikings got their brains kicked in tonight! :wacko:

Season 4 - Vikings attack Paris again

I watched a couple of episodes, couldn't get into the rhythm of it at the time.

I am a big fan of Viking history, took a couple of courses on it, etc. and didn't catch the series at right time to catch the historical part of it.

Maybe first seasons are on netflix and I can start from beginning and ramp up.

It really amazes me how much of a difference it can make at what point you pick up a series can make a hugh difference in whether or not you stick with it.

Netflix has allowed me to go back and catch a lot of great series that I avoided because I was too late to the table.

Breaking Bad was one recent example.

A little off topic,but they just found a 2nd ship or something along that lines showing they were in North America before we initially thought they were.

I also found out recently in my Ancestry DNA test,I have 14% "Viking" heritage. Not that anyone cares, but I was surprised.

• Like 1

• Moderators

A little off topic,but they just found a 2nd ship or something along that lines showing they were in North America before we initially thought they were.

I also found out recently in my Ancestry DNA test,I have 14% "Viking" heritage. Not that anyone cares, but I was surprised.

I always wanted to do that, the DNA test.

Did you have anything that was surprising? American Indian, I am not sure what else they can tell. What can they tell? Germanic, anglo, saxon, West Africa, asian?

Saw this article that says some results have to be taken with a grain of salt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2013/feb/25/viking-ancestors-astrology

I really enjoy it. Rollo kicked his brothers *** thursday

Mark

Yeah, I've been finding myself rooting for the murderous, pillaging Vikings for the first 3 seasons and now I'm bummed when someone fought back and kicked butt.  Damn Franks!  :angry:

The entire series is loosely based on real Vikings history from about 900 to 1000 AD.  You can look up the  historical characters on Wikipedia and follow the timeline.  Caution:  Spoilers.  B)

Rollo

Ragnar Lodbrok or Lothbrok

Edited by wvu80

I always wanted to do that, the DNA test.

Did you have anything that was surprising? American Indian, I am not sure what else they can tell. What can they tell? Germanic, anglo, saxon, West Africa, asian?

Saw this article that says some results have to be taken with a grain of salt.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2013/feb/25/viking-ancestors-astrology

First let me say, that Ancestry doesn't state I am of Viking Heritage. That is my own statement more in a generalizing way as I have Norway and Sweden accounting for 14% of my DNA makeup (that region).

The testing did give me a bunch of surprises though. My mother's side has said we are German, Dutch,Irish and my testing also shows those "regions".It doesn't specify a direct amount of German or Dutch, but "Eastern European" which is mixed with France and a few other countries, and does give me a 33% makeup from the UK, which then expands some into France within their "circle".

Ancestry gives a really good explanation on how they do the testing and how the results are tallied on them. They also state that you can be related to someone and not share DNA,and vice versa.

The test runs $99.00, so it's not like it's a waste of money. I have my brother and sister doing it as well, as I don't know who my real father is, and am using them to see where the DNA breakup is. The testing today is a lot different from what it was even a year ago. Now it gives both parents in the makeup, where the past tests were more specific with paternal and maternal lines.

I can say with my test with the matches it gives you as potential relatives that 326 people were matched to me. I have contacted 3 of them so far, and all 3 are 2nd cousins with us sharing the same great grandparents. Their grandparents wound up being a great aunt to me,and all 4 of us didn't know each other or even about each other.So for my instance so far, it seems to be accurate.

The test results overall won't give you the path results your ancestors took like the testing being done at NATGEO, but they give you your "makeup".

I do plan on doing the NATGEO one and potentially one other from 23andme. This way I can see if the 2 are comparable or not.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

MID SEASON ENDING SHOW Jan 2018:

I love this series, I love the characters, but wow, what a dark ending to the mid-season finale.  Brother against brother, son against mother, lover against lover, people going crazy, death and carnage everywhere.  Kattegat is lost.

Spoiler alert:  Just about everybody either kills someone they love, or gets killed by someone they love.  :blink:

13 hours ago, YK Thom said:

We have been curious about jumping into this series, your endorsement is the finger on the scale. We will begin this weekend.

I think you can catch past seasons on Netflix.  You can catch some (not all) of the current season on historychannel,com.

Other than that they just went into the mid-season hiatus, no more new shows on Wednesday.  I'm not sure when they resume.

• Like 1